Refs Betting on Games?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jul 20, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wow, this is huge.

Donaghy has just given inspiration (if not substance) to all of the people claiming conspiracy.
  2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

This is definitely huge. Too huge to be mentioned on BSPN/NBA.com. Watch. It will be ignored. Why would Donaghy lie about this? Perjury is a crime.
  3. max

max All-Star

I don't think he is lying. Right now he faces 33 months but in reality would do what 8-12 mo's. Not exactly a life sentence and certainly far less than he would get if he was leading everyone on.

Interesting to see how much light this gets.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I told you all they had to do was hint. ;~']
  5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Nor do I.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we want to believe he is telling the truth, since we feel slighted as fans so often by biased officiationg. But seriously, this guy is trying to save his butt. We can't know ourselves if its true. According to Jack McCoy on Law and Order, until he offers proof, its hearsay in a court of law. Of course, the court of public opinion is a whole nother story!
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Considering the Feds want to give him a break:

Wonder if the Feds have any wiretaps on Stern. How great would it be to hear Stern on tape telling the refs not to let Kobe sweep the Celtics.
  8. max

max All-Star

It would be great to watch him squirm this summer. Ironic thing is that Donaghy may have went down quitely if not for Sterns 1 mil in damages claim. This last bit of "Stern Justice" may be the final straw that does in his reign. Why you would not want to let this thing go is beyond me.

In reality they came out pretty good last summer so I don't know why we should expect any different this time around. Have to see what develops. As the article stated if Donaghy's July 14th sentencing is delayed then we will know that further investigations are under way.
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

While they are at it, they need to investigate the 1988 NBA title they stole from us by making that lame foul call on Laimbeer that he supposedly made on Kareem. They need to review that tape and award Detroit the title that they so clearly stole from us.

Be careful for what you wish for Stern (wanting an investigation). As I recall, there is a player named Roger Clemens that declared the same want and that is not turning out so good. Maybe this will at least end the NBA office meddling with the officiating that we all suspected from the start.

I like what Phil Jackson had to say. He asked why in the world are the refs part of the NBA entity. They should be an independent entity not under the umbrella of the NBA. The NBA is asking for trouble with the current setup.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would need something more concrete. He's not telling us anything we didn't know already. Some games are ridiculous in the way that they are called.

The Lakers get 10 FT's in game 2 and then 38 in game 3? How did the Celtics get that much more foul prone in 2 days?
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It would be awesome if they discovered foul play (pun intended) and assembled all of the participating players on the '88 Pistons & Lakers to re-play the remainder of that series.
  12. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

NBA brought this on themselves. Asking for that 1 millions dollars from Donaghy will cost them the whole league.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like that idea...then they assemble all of the stats of players involved in that possible Kings-Nets series and then let the computer tell us who won. C-webb gets a ring, as does Doug Christies wife:MusicBigGrin:

Then we can see if Shaq, Kobe and Phil gratiously give back their rings like Michael Johnson is going to do with his tainted olympic medal.....
  14. Buckeyes#1

While we are bashing refs here (don't want to start another thread), I think its a bunch of crock that rookies don't get calls simply because they "have not earned it". It's either a foul or it isn't. It is independant of how long they have been in the league. Right now we have two sets of rules. One set for those who have not been around and one set for those who have. What a joke.
  15. Buckeyes#1

This IS the definition of double standard.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Excellent point. The basic concept of having to 'pay your dues' before getting calls is ludicrous. What's worse is that notion seems to have become accepted by the league, the coaches, the players, and many fans. You're right...it's a double standard.

There are bad calls in every sport, but none have the frequency of those in basketball by the very nature of the game. Some sort of replay system should be instituted...coaches should get a few challenges during the game.
  17. Buckeyes#1

Thanks. But let me try to improve on what I said. I said there were two sets of rules. The more I think about it, the more I think there are three sets of rules. One for the rookies, where they don't get the calls. One for the regular vets where they get the calls when they get fouled. And finally, one for the superstars where they get the calls even when they are not fouled (too much respect). Again. These refs are hurting the game by having three sets of rules. They need to forget about the name on the back of the jersey when they are debating whether or not to blow the whistle. It's either an offensive foul or defensive "irregardless" of how long they have been in the league. Everyone puts their shorts on the exact same way. I seriously doubt that the league office would ever mandate who wins a series. But. But I wouldn't be shocked if the league office has put pressure on the refs to "let the stars shine" if you know what I mean. Thus the triple standard.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think all of the players should wear balaclavas and replace the names and #s with barcodes.
  19. Buckeyes#1

Hey that's a good idea. Maybe even have them wear special shoes so everyone is the same height. That way it will be harder to tell. It's time to quit discriminating against short people anyways. Why should tall people always get the breaks?
  20. Buckeyes#1

You beat me. When I quoted you, you first said ski mask. Is a balaclava a ski mask?