Red Wings offseason thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I just wanted to have one thread rather than starting a new one for every little happening with the team. There's not much going on with the salary cap situation, so I'll just post everything offseason-related here.

NHL free agency - Detroit Red Wings quiet this July, but it was all part of their plan - ESPN

2. mikhail1973

Make that a two-fer: Red Wings sign Maple Leafs farmhands Jeremy Williams, Kris Newbury - Snapshots

3. mikhail1973

Red Wings notes

So, Leino's deal is 2-years at $400K/per, which is not bad at all.

4. mikhail1973

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

They could be 3rd best now behind Pens and Ducks.

6. mikhail1973

I think those three could go in any order depending on luck. All it could have taken was a bad bounce, and Wings could've been out in the 2nd round. So, it's difficult to say what team is better.

7. mikhail1973

Ducks loosing another important piece as Beauchemin signed with Toronto.

8. mikhail1973

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Ducks already traded Pronger to Flyers for 3rd line Dman and two 1st roound drafts.

Great trade for Ducks but not for upcoming year.

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

11. G-man

G-man Starter

Red Wings need to spend newfound money on bolstering offense hit hard by exit of free agents by Ansar Khan - mlive

"DETROIT -- Ten days after the start of NHL free agency, there still are notable players available for the Detroit Red Wings, who suddenly have a little more spending money than they anticipated and a need to bolster their offense."

Red Wings need to spend newfound money on bolstering offense hit hard by exit of free agents - Detroit Red Wings Hockey: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

12. mikhail1973

I don't think they have enough to sign a significant player, although they should be able to get some help.

13. mikhail1973

The Jason Williams Debate - Winging It In Motown

The Jason Williams Debate

As the NHL off-season continues to move forward at an agonizingly slow pace, Red Wings fans continue to sit and wait for the brain trust to go out and secure some depth for the roster. As a fan, I have to admit that it's hard to sit and watch the other teams in the league scoop up talent from the FA pool, while we are stuck waiting to go to arbitration with a player who won't even be on the roster come September. Quite frankly, it sucks. And in a fashion typical of most loyal fans, I find myself becoming more and more impatient as the days without a signing pass by. I've analyzed who is out there, I've gone over the numbers and know who we can afford and I've talked to other fans about who they would like to see in Motown this fall.
    The names I've heard run the gamut: Phil Kessel. Todd Bertuzzi. Mike Grier. Robert Lang. Take your pick of the litter. Almost every forward that is still available has been mentioned as a Wings target at some point or another. That's just the nature of the beast. But one name keeps popping up amongst the fans, and automatically causes a line to be drawn in the sand between them: Jason Williams.

14. mikhail1973

Former Red Wings might fill multiple vacancies | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Former Red Wings might fill multiple vacancies

BY GEORGE SIPPLE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 27, 2009

With the losses of Marian Hossa (40 goals) and Mikael Samuelsson (19 goals) -- and possibly Jiri Hudler (23 goals) to the Moscow Dynamo -- look for the Red Wings to add a scoring forward before the start of training camp.
    [​IMG]

Among the forwards the Wings are likely to have interest in are former Wings Jason Williams and Todd Bertuzzi, and former U-M standout Mike Comrie. Manny Malhotra and Mike Grier are other possibilities.

15. mikhail1973

Detroit Red Wings Hockey - MLive.com

Red Wings sign free-agent forward Patrick Eaves

The Detroit Red Wings have seen a lot of potential in Patrick Eaves over the years, ever since they scouted him as a member of the U.S. national junior team.
    That is why they signed the right wing to a one-year, $500,000 contract Tuesday.
    "He's a young player with untapped potential," Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said. "The last couple of years he didn't have the kind of seasons he wanted, but he's only 25 and we think he has a lot of upside."

Eaves (5-foot-11, 190 pounds) scored a career-high 20 goals in 58 games as a rookie with the Ottawa Senators in 2005-06, but had only six goals and eight assists in 74 games for the Carolina Hurricanes last season.
    Carolina traded him to Boston on July 24, but the Bruins bought out the last two years of his contract for $933,000 after he went unclaimed on waivers.
    Nill said the Red Wings see Eaves in the mold of Dan Cleary or Mikael Samuelsson, talented players who skated for a number of teams before hitting their stride with Detroit.
    "They're guys that had a lot of potential but hadn't quite hit it when they came here," Nill said. "Then, they come and play for us, get their game together and get their career back on track."
    Eaves is a strong skater and responsible defensively, which should give him the ability to play on several lines for the Red Wings.

16. G-man

G-man Starter

I like this pick up. Another speedy skater.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Eaves is a great pickup at a very affordable price.

18. G-man

G-man Starter

Questions

Summer Fill: A few questions for the Detroit Red Wings
    SB Nation - Raw Charge - jpfduece

"Question: The city of Detroit is one of the most historic sports towns in the US. With the Tigers, Pistons and Lions having storied pasts to compliment the Red Wings... And during down years, the fans tend to remain loyal and devoted (though understandably critical of the franchises' direction). But "Hockeytown USA" has been one of the hardest economically hit areas in the country during this economic downturn. In June, the city's unemployment rate was 23% by some accounts.

As one of the NHL's marquee franchises, how has Detroit's economic situation affected the Red Wings? How is the overall health of the franchise? How are season ticket sales going in the midst of such an economically hard-hit area? What might be the consequences for the Red Wings if Detroit's local economy does not improve, and has ownership ever addressed this type of scenario?

Answer: A few years ago, the Wings were struggling with ticket sales. They weren't selling out in the regular season or the playoffs and that's when people started talking about taking away the title of Hockeytown from Detroit. In fact, I wrote about it for my final paper in my Sport Economics class two years ago. But things have improved since then despite the economy worsening in Detroit. In the 2008-09 season, the Red Wings played to a 99% capacity crowd at Joe Louis Arena, averaging 19,865 people per game and third best in the league.

Fortunately the Wings are the most successful team in the Detroit market, which bodes well for them. The Detroit Pistons struggled this year on the court and off the court. Their five-year sellout streak ended in early February this season. The Detroit Lions snapped a 50-game sellout streak in October, failing to sell out for five of their last six games. As of July 19, the Detroit Tigers noticed a 20% decline in ticket sales from last season, seeing their season ticketholder numbers drop from 27,000 to 15,000. In comparison, the Red Wings sold out 29 of 41 home dates in the 2008-09 regular season, including 16 of the final 17 games. They sold out each of their home games during the playoffs."

Summer Fill: A few questions for the Detroit Red%Wings - Raw Charge

19. mikhail1973

I never knew that Lions had storied past. Although I've been in the states since 1992.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

50-56 Lions were bad.
    I think the article proves there's not much else in Det but sports. And the fans are loyal.