Rasheed Wallace Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Latinoking90, Apr 2, 2009.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Sadly, starting means many offnights and frustation due to overwhelming environment ( and environment has "become" to sheed more and more "hostile" )

I can bet that unlike to AI and lesser extent to Rip, Sheed would take benching rather easy.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

1st my post was a response, not an indictment on the entire fan base.

2nd, I don't believe LB's goal was to leave, but once he saw what ownership was orchestrating (Saunders' name was mentioned way before he was FIRED), he wasn't going to make it easy on them...or free (human nature). Besides, that fits with the assertion that he's not a good person.

3rd, maybe...just maybe...these guys judging the direction this organization was heading (being that it was such a departure from what was working just fine), saw the light and chose not to sucker up and waive the red and blue flag while singing the praises of the team's effort to become the Phx Suns East.

They're human beings and I don't fault them for that. In many ways, they were right.

Many of us do the same thing in our own lives (perhaps by bailing on one job to take a new one). Very few people see a bad move made by those that run their company and sucker up and continue to scream how awesome management is and continue to doling out 110% effort. Many people quit and go somewhere else. Some people just stop trying as hard everyday when they know their efforts will get them nowhere. Some people get fired and make sure they have a decent severance package (or at least unemployment). However, there are a very small number of people who will go down with the ship screaming about how sweet it is. But, that is a very very small number.

People deal the way they deal and I'm not going to expect any different from NBA players just because they're a major source of entertainment for me..

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Great post

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Good post...

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

you're assuming - everyone viewed organization of being downfall...way too pessimistic. ok, maybe they were not top 1-2 team but top 3-4 for sure. Hardly a downfall. Differences are not usually big - visibly and easily correctable things, but small and very risky things- it is like trimming an instrument, one wrong move and...

6. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

Dammit,, with sheed leaving the team, that will mean two useless pistons jerseys in my closet.. Williamson and Wallace.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Your Sheed jersey is destined to be a classic. Hang on to that one and it will be TWICE as cool 5 years from now.

You'd be sittin' pretty if you held on to that Cliff Robinson throwback right?

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Somehow I don't think Ruben Boumtje Boumtje would have many kind words for Sheed.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He does, they're just in an awfully high pitch.

10. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

Feel bad for ppl who bought the AI #1 jersey especially them stupid pink ones..

11. max

max All-Star

Not to bring up old ghosts - but.

A year earlier, in the summer of 04 , Why did LB tell all his assistants to take other offers because he was not sure how long he would be here for?

Why did he shock everyone during the 04 victory parade by stating that he was thinking of retiring?

Why did he leave for a couple of weeks during the 05 season for an operation without informing management before hand?

Why did the same health issues that would have preventing him from coaching in 05-06 all of a sudden not become an issue once he took the Knick job?

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Max...that's all part of the package with LB...we knew what we were getting. You take the good with the bad. The good far outweighed the bad.

13. max

max All-Star

I think he enjoys being a development coach and I also thinks he likes a GM that he can influence.

14. Pwn Toney

Probably because you don't have any guarantee's that you'll get back to the Title and that's when most assistants are able to cash in. Because nothing gives an assistant coach more credibility than being on a championship roster and every team knows there's no way in hell they are going to be able to "steal" a head coach that just won a title. So, the assistant is the next best thing. I'm also sure there were lots of issues in house that don't see the light of day and considering that Davidson had decided that LB wasn't a "good person" there was probably some inclination that the owner wanted him gone regardless of the Title.

Because the guy had been coaching for 30 years, is in the hall of fame, and shocker...HE MAY HAVE ACTUALLY CONSIDERED IT. What better way to cap off your career than by retiring after winning it all? Most people complain about boxers not doing the very same thing, but if this guy even considers it and is honest with the media (as he ALWAYS has been...just ask the people %%%%%ing about him calling out Darko), all of a sudden he's an escape goat.

Because maybe just maybe every human being in existence doesn't have every surgery planned 6 years in advance and it's quite possible that his doctor saw something and suggested that it be done sooner rather than later. Hence, the lack of notice.

Because the Pistons organization asked that LB assure them he would have no health issues that prevented him from coaching...which A) No human can promise in any form of certainty; especially one who is a senior citizen by definition and has ALREADY had a number of surgeries. and B) The Knicks requested no such assurances. It was a quick and easy way for the Pistons to paint LB with whatever brush they desired and make themselves look like rational employers. It's not the 1st time this organization has gone out of it's way to make someone who is leaving look like a bad apple.

15. Pwn Toney

Well, "downfall" as you put it and going in the wrong direction are two totally different concepts. You can be 5th place and going in the right direction. Or 2nd place going in the wrong direction. Most people would prefer to feel like things are going in the right direction. If fans can see it and start talking about it early on, what do you think the people on the inside are actually thinking? You may view me or my opinions as pessimistic, but then again you didn't know me during the LB years when I was constantly defending the way this team played and the methods of one Larry Brown.

During that time, I constantly fought verbal battles over Darko's PT, "Small Ball," scoring droughts, LB's calling out of players in the media (particularly Delfino), Lindsey Hunter being allowed in the arena, Arroyo not being handed the backup PG keys regardless of how many shot clocks he dribbled out of existence, and LB's past tense comments being used as statements of future actions. You name it, we dragged on and on about it all the way to a title and a few minutes away from a 2nd one, with people kicking and screaming with wailing and gnashing of teeth all the way.

It doesn't take a pessimist to believe things aren't going in the right (read successful) direction. It just takes a realist. As a fan, if I can see it, I know damn well the players know what's going on because they're in the middle of it. That goes for the coach and the GM as well. No one has to scream bloody murder. They just have to not like what's going on and that can easily happen without being pessimistic.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How did that gentleman's contract work out for the Knicks?

17. Pwn Toney

That wasn't the question.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

"Owww, my tooth hurts. Buy me out."

19. Pwn Toney

[strike]:fishing:[/strike] = Not taking the bait. :ner-ner:

20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Organization did not trust LB and LB did not trust Pistons. Simple.