Rasheed Wallace Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Latinoking90, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Cut him. He only plays hard when he wants to, shoots 3 and gets techs. Plus he can throw a pass that won't end up in the stands. They got to get a 20/10 bruiser like Bosh. You don't win as consistently as him by accident.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed. It was fun. I defended him. But if we're going to condemn AI for his weaknesses and personality issues, then it's disingenuous to let Sheed off the hook for the same.

If Sheed played hard, I could overlook everything else.

If Sheed didn't always play hard, but didn't get techs, I could overlook everything else.

If Sheed didn't always play hard, got techs and ..

oh wait, that is what he does now.
  3. max

max All-Star

To me the bottom line during this tragic year is not to glorify an old core that was not working anymore.
  4. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Absolutely love the guy. Yes he can be a nuisance sometimes but hey that's who he is. He is my favorite player next to Pistol Pete. He is the reason why I'm hooked on UNC basketball for life. I was about seven when I first seen him play and just fell in love with the guy! Sheed a Piston 4 Life!!!
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's called selective memory, and I like to remember the Sheed that's built like a center and plays like a small forward, and works his butt off every play.

As opposed to every other play:doh:
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

totally agree max, ernie, et al. but since this is actually a sheed tribute thread, it just seemed like we could make some room for recognizing what -- despite his faults (which have been amply covered in many other threads) -- he has contributed to PIstons basketball over the past few years.
  7. max

max All-Star

He is a reason why we got to so many ECF's and he is also a reason why we have lost so many ECF's. Thats the best way that I can describe it.
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lol it's just too hard i guess. it seems that for everyone of these tribute threads it's also necessary to create an anti-tribute thread -- maybe for sheed most of all.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They made the ECF's because of their guards and lost because of Sheed. Ray Allen was practically out of the league last year prior to the series against him.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not really. Sheed cares about the team, has won a championship here, has shown that he will sacrifice for the "team concept", loves DET, wants to be here, plays defense and takes all the blame from the media, fans, etc w/o saying a word.

I'm not saying he's perfect or that he shouldn't be criticized, but those things give him a much longer rope IMO.

Besides, I don't see the not playing hard. I think sometimes people confuse him not playing up to their expectations (which his talent creates) with him not playing hard. Yes, he's talented, but he's never going to be Tim Duncan b/c he lacks the mentality.

He's been playing essentially the same way since he's been here. I get wanting to move on, but he's not this huge disappointment some are making him out to be. We knew exactly what we were getting and IMO it was worth every penny.

It's the same thing with AI in a way in terms of his game. Joe brought him here and knew what type of style he plays effectively. Square peg, round hole. The reason i'm annoyed on that front is b/c to me AI never even tried to adjust. IMO, His heart was never in it.

It's easier to root for a player when you know he's as invested as you are. Sheed didn't quit on the team this year contrary to what the papers like to say, and i'm in the small minority of people that wouldn't mind seeing him back next year.

edited to add; He's actually pretty similar to AI in that his emotions are written all over his face. Want to know how the chemistry of the team? Look at Sheed.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

In the mass of threads, I forgot this was a tribute. Plus, it's way premature but anyway

Great things about Sheed.

He's quotable. He has hit a lot of big shots. He's fun to watch in the post. I like to watch him slap the backboard. He has horrible teeth, which makes him seem a lot more like a regular dude, which is a good thing.

His 3 pt jay is spectacular. He knows how to pull the chair, and it's a blast watching him defend Dwight Howard. He owns up when he commits an intentional foul. He doesn't spend as much time complaining about the +1s he doesn't get compared to Rip and Tay.

He's not a flopper. He doesn't look for bailouts. He never blames his teammates. Ok that last one we'll say is positive.

He kicked Zydrunas Ilgauskas ass. He told Udonis Haslem, "Don't leave me"

He named Larry Brown, #4# Brown. That's POUND FOR POUND, or POUND for short.

He bought the entire championship team wrestling belts.

He gives a lot to charity. His wife seems like a nice lady. His crib in Portland is the bomb.

And he's one of the few guys besides Buddhatrain that can pull off a goatee without looking bad.
  12. max

max All-Star

Guess so. I will be more nice once he officially is no longer a Piston.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

No great analysis here but Sheed was the missing element that brought the title. That alone is enough for me. Here is a guy that gets thrashed regularly and as he ages, his play has indeed gone down. But hey, I think he is still better than our young bigs who many continue to praise.

Sheed has played in 7 conference title games and two finals. How many players have done that?

Hard to say whether he should stay or go. I might still want him coming off the bench if he would sign for a lot less.
  14. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

All things considered, I would guess that it is time for him to move on. I see noone ready to take his place yet but if he stays and keeps taking the playing time, noone else will be able to step up soon.

Of course, I am one of those who wanted to keep Okur but I will have to say that it was not until Sheed got here did the team get over that threshhold and win the 'ship. Can't take that away.

However, I do believe that if they had kept Okur and DMC, they would have won more than the one. But that is pure conjecture I believe they would not have gone into this lull.

That being said, I appreciate the things Sheed did when he wanted to and I still think the alternative combo would have had better overall results through the years. Noone through his time here has been more of a catalyst for the good and the bad.

But no, I do not blame him for leaving Horry open. I still believe that they played the starters too much and they were too tired to react quickly enough. It was not Sheed's fault IMO.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Prince is feeling left out after the disappearing act he's pulled in the last 2 ECF's.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

What? ... Rip's and Stuck's goatees don't do it for ya? :noidea:
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sheed was the missing link back in 04. He was key to the Pistons winning a championship...crushing all of the media hoopla about 'Detroit doesn't stand a chance'...busting the Lakers balls in the only 5 game sweep in a professional sports final series that I know of.

That was then...but this is now. I really like Sheed but I don't see the fire anymore and it's time to say goodbye.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Sheed in 2004...[​IMG]

Sheed now...>[​IMG]

Good Bye Sheed. You'll be missed.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

NBA basketball is entertainment.

If you've ever had decent seats to a game, you'll know what I'm talking about: Rasheed Wallace is one of the most entertaining players you'll ever see. His running commentary during any given game is worth the price of admission in itself. (...make sure you bring "earmuffs" for the kids though!)

I view Sheed as a "team" guy. I think he genuinely cares as much or more than any other Piston. His main fault might be the fact that when things go South and people (coaches, refs, etc.) aren't doing their jobs correctly; he checks-out mentally instead of playing through it.

I hope that Sheed is back next year and Joe gives him a reason(s) to play inspired basketball.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agreed.... him and ty are GREAT glue guys.... we need two star guards with them and a difference maker at the 5 (aka a young ben).

I bring back sheed if I am Joe