Rasheed Wallace : The key

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 15, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was just thinking the same thing this morning.

Great teams always seem to be a simmering collection of egoes, it's the fragility of a team in an individual sport that makes winning a title so special.
  2. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

although expecting/hoping/praying for Sheed to become somewhat dominant has become a futile past time for all Pistons-fans........i do think he'll have a good year.

more than his PPG, i'd really like to see him get around 8 rebounds per game.
  3. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

So basically what you are saying is that it's OK to just play for a 5 month period (the year that he was traded to Detroit and the Pistons won the title) and then just collect a FAT CONTRACT (highest on the team), refuse to play hard anymore (unless you feel insulted by a bad call or feel disrespected), refuse to do the dirty work (rebounding, solid defensive efforts EVERY NIGHT) and then you can have the audacity to MOUTH OFF AND GUARANTEE VICTORIES that you have no intention of stepping up to help your team obtain?

Are you saying that Sheed gets a free pass because he was a PART of the reason the Pistons won the title in 2004? Now, he doesn't have to do anything else the rest of his tenure in Detroit?
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Jackattaq,

Calm down.​
    You are putting words in her mouth and taking what she said out of its proper context. ​

You asked a question. She answered it. If you don't like the answer it's too bad. Don't ask the question next time. ​
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

No. I'm not saying any of all that at all.

Your Question and My Answer to Your Question.

It's just a possible answer to why the fanbase may have a higher tolerance for Sheed. I don't think Rasheed Wallace has Pistons DNA either.

I'm just saying that he may have a "let's see" permission slip from the fan base because of that precious 2004 title. He joined the team, we won the title. He was widely touted as the missing puzzle piece by the sports media that year. Not all Pistons fans follow the team and players as closely as we do here at pf.com.

I think this year is when Sheed's grace period is over and any pass with the fans may expire. Sheed may have a rough year. Ben's exit is going to make it both easier and harder for Sheed this year. I hope he can step up to the increased pressure to be productive both defensively and offensively every night. At least with Ben Wallace gone, Sheed might get more rebounds and putbacks in the post. (Please, Sheed, play in the post!)
  6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I would like to think that Sheed might see some opportunities in the departure of Ben and claim a bigger role, but based on history, I just don't see it. Unlike Ben and some other notable exemplars of Pistons DNA, Sheed doesn't appear to have the drive to get the most out of his abilities. I think part of the reason is that he's just a different sort of dude--he has other interests in life besides basketball and being a big star.

Another thing I worry about is how he will respond to the current big man situation. When Sheed arrived, we already had Ben the All-Star DPOY, the up-and-coming Memo, a still-productive Elden Campbell, and Darko as rookie before it was obvious he was a bust (in Detroit anyway; calm down DHOFers). When Sheed was added to that mix, it was the birth of Wallace X 2 and it made an already tough defensive team scarier and just plain better in every way. Going into this season, Sheed is playing alongside . . . the uninspiring Nazr Mohammed, and 37-year-old Dale Davis, who faces serious legal trouble. We can only hope that Sheed stays healthy and finds a way to get in touch with his inner Tim Duncan.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was curious as to Sheed's three point shooting. One thing that seems clear looking back over his career is that he listens to his coach about shooting the three.

In his first three years in Portland under Dunleavy he took 0.5 three attempts per game.

In his first season under Cheeks, he stays pretty much at the same level. That does up to two per game in Cheeks second season and then to four per game in his last three seasons with Mo.

He comes to Detroit and Larry says calm down and Sheed drops back to three per game. Then along comes Flip who turns him loose and last season he took over five a game.

Bottom line - if Flip tells him to go into the post and stop taking outside shots I bet he does it.
  8. Jackattaq

I'm sorry if my post came off as rude. I'm just a bitter Darko Hall of Fame member. I haven't liked the double standard that has existed for the Starters on the Pistons and the expectations that the bench players were supposed to achieve. I guarantee if you asked Sheed to play 2-3 minutes every 3rd game, he wouldn't be that effective, but that's what was expected of the bench guys.

I'm sorry if my post directed some of that annoyance/anger towards you, I didn't mean any ill will. I'm just bitter that I have to follow Darko's career on a team OTHER than the Pistons.
  9. Jackattaq

Call me crazy, but I'll have to see it to believe it. For how many years have fans been asking Sheed to fulfill his potential and yet they are left disappointed year after year.
  10. dba

I won't argue about potential. I happen to agree that he seems like a player who could do more than he sometimes seems to be doing. But, fans aren't the ones who tell him where to play and what kind of shots to take. That comes from coaches and point guards and all I'm saying is that given his history with the three, he does seem to do what the coaches tell him to do.

If you want Sheed dominating games from the post then he needs an offense that runs through him there and a point guard that calls those plays. Based on what I see watching him play (and that's pretty weak in terms of getting to understand someone, but it's all any of us have) he seems like the kind of player who wants to do what the coach says, wants to fit into the system. If Sheed is letting the fans down, then I'd say take a look at the offensive system first. Maybe it is letting Sheed down.
  11. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Classic.

Apparently every coach he's ever had has told him to underachieve then. Oh, they also told him to make sure he mentions at least 1000 times a season how he doesn't want to "be the man" on the team.

Sheed is what he is. He does not want to be the main focus on offense and has stated as much. Accept the good he does bring (and he does bring a lot) or trade him, but he will never be the focus of an offense. Trying to force that on him will result in the return of the JailBlazer.
  12. dba

LOL

I knew it, a conspiracy.
  13. Jackattaq

I guess the reasoning behind the frustration with Sheed is that we all know how good he CAN be, but he rarely strives to achieve that on a consistent basis. With Sheed, when he gets mad, he goes right at his man and scores IN THE POST EFFORTLESSLY (or so it appears), but the frustration with the guy is that he WON'T CONTINUE TO CALL for the ball or go in the paint and KILL HIS MAN INSIDE.

How many times does Sheed get a TECH and then go on to dominate the next 5 minutes of a basketball game? He does it quite often, this leads many fans to wonder, "if he can play like this at the flip of a switch" why aren't we getting this out of this guy CONSISTENTLY, afterall he is the highest paid player on the team isn't he?

Also, how often does Sheed drift to the perimeter on the pick and roll? How often does Sheed WORK HARD IN THE PAINT for good low post position? (not very often IMO).

How often is Sheed 20 feet from the rim when a shot goes up? Where is Sheed on the offensive glass? Does he do his best to chase down rebounds, or is he content to let a younger "workman" do the dirty work? Is Sheed willing to get his hands dirty or will he continue to take the easy way out?

I look at Sheed (during the last 3-4 years) alot like Webber's career has gone, Webber came into the league as a powerful interior player, only to become a SOFT PERIMETER SHOOTER as his career went on (Webber's due to injury), Sheed hasn't had a major injury that should keep him for playing inside. What's SHeed's excuse?
  14. roscoe36

That we have such a talented player that does not demand the ball, or dominate the personality of the team (he's more of the court clown), is a tremendous benefit.

I also agree with dba. If he is asked for more (or less) he will acquiesce to the coach's desire.

You can't bust on him for making the most money. He's making $6 million dollars less now than he was 3 seasons ago. A 6'10" veteran All-Star PF is a max player. And Sheed is all of those things.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I tend to agree with what you say about Sheed. The one thing that could open up the Pistons game a little bit would be for Sheed to get in the post more often (probably drawing a double)...and either get off a high percentage shot...or kick the ball out to Tay, Rip or CB and leave himself in prime position for a rebound. I think the Pistons have lost their inside-out game under Flip.
  16. dba

I get the frustration. I get it too sometimes. I'm just wondering if in this offensive scheme, with three other guys who need to score the ball, if it's reasonable to expect to get more than 16 and 8 from Sheed. If he dropped that in every night, never got fewer than 10, and sometimes went off for 25, and played consistent hard defense I'm not sure I could ask for more.
  17. Jackattaq

My issues with ALL PLAYERS that make MAX amounts or High amounts of money is that they affect the players we can acquire because of the amount of the salary cap that they eat up.

He may make less than he did in the past, but I can guarantee that the Blazers felt they were OVERPAYING the guy when you factor in that he DIDN'T WANT TO BE "DA MAN". The Blazers traded him because they didn't want to pay that kind of money to a guy that wasn't willing to accept the responsibilities that go along with making the MAJOR MONEY DEALS.

I'm sorry but I don't think paying a 32 year old 12 million a year who can't keep his head in the game is a good idea. Sheed averaged 15ppg and less than 7 rebounds a game AS A STARTER. Sheed didn't want to be "responsible". Sheed loves to make guarantees, but when did HE deliver on his words? Instead Sheed has collectively let the Piston's fans down by SHIRKING HIS DUTIES as the highest paid Piston.

Sheed got his PAYDAY and now he is FAT AND LAZY, don't you think it's just a bit odd that Joe Dumars puts out a statement about NO PLACE FOR FAT AND HAPPY here in Detroit right before this training camp?
  18. Jackattaq

Do you really believe we will see that out of a 32 year old Sheed? I mean the guy only averaged 15 ppg last year (he was a year younger). Sheed took the 2nd most FGA's on the Pistons last year and only managed 15 ppg in 35 minutes. So basically if Sheed is gonna get 25 on SOME NIGHTS, that would mean that he will have some 5 pt nights as well.

I'm just not buying that Sheed is going to step up this year.
  19. roscoe36

20. Jackattaq

Sure looks like for that extra Million for Dirk you get an EXTRA 13 ppg, one less assist, 2 more rebs, heres the biggie over 6 more trips to the FT LINE. And with Dirk, he hasn't shied from being the team leader. Even if he hasn't always delivered, he hasn't tried to stick his head into the sand as Sheed has done so often.

With KG, (who I'm not a huge fan of) you get the league leader in rebounding and a good passer. I DO FEEL that KG is overpaid, but Sheed doesn't score or rebound nearly as well as KG.