Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Sep 20, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

I will be all over in this post so feel free to jump on any of it.

20 more days until the 1st pre-season game.

What are we going to see this year? One thing that stands out is lack of a backup point or any real combo guard. We have Murry and Delfino and even Dupree - if you want to go there. What about Johnson? We will get to him later.

Murry ,the guy who chocked in the playoffs, and Delfino ,the guy who wants out, are our main backups? Perhaps there is a method to the madness. Both players can be valuable who both happen to be at an extremly low point in trade value. But they could be worth something as the season goes on so why not play them and trade them for a quality point or combo guard when the time is right? Would make no sense to trade Delfino now and Murry for the price is a good asset.

That would leave us without a backup SF but what law is preventing Amir from fulfilling that role? Not ready yet? Too young? Is is written in stone that a highschool aged rookie has to sit on the bench for 3 years? If it is a script then its for Piston ears only and we all saw how that played out with Darko.

Pistons need to start playing the young guys. If Johnson is going to be the next Kobe then he better get playing soon because Kobe was already hitting 20 MPG in his 2nd season.

Thats true only for potential type players and not for 2nd round hacks like Blaylock. I have to believe that keeping Blaylock on the team is a simple smoke screen for the illusion of having a 3rd point. If someone has a different take on Blaylock then feel free? Anything I am missing here to indicate otherwise?

In Marc Steins article ( see other thread ) the Pistons were ranked #11 by him in offseason moves. I agree we did get worse on paper. Think of it this way. If Ben was still under contract then would anyone in their right mind trade him for Mohamed? Seriously? No way. Note - Flip said we will be better in "many" ways not better as a team.

The Pistons season depends more on playing the guys that we already had from last year and not necessarily new aquisitions. At least play the unplayable of last year so they can be worth something to get a player or 2 that we really need.

And who says Davis cannot still play? He is old at 36 but basically had the better part of 2 years off so that has to help.

Prediciton - Its not going to be as bad as some think or it will be better than whats expected. Rather have it that way than be dissapointed like last season so we will see. In the end - you will just have to watch ( and post in the game threads... ) .
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Max, were you drunk when you typed this? :)
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Max, don't forget about Maxiell. I guess that's what you meant by the young guys. I'm all for Amir getting some playing time. I don't think what we have is a title team anyway (maybe with a better coach). Might as well play the youth.
  4. max

max All-Star

Yes I would like to see both Maxiel and Johnson get some PT. Other winning teams manage to develope their teams as they go along.

I think this is also effecting Dumars since he still does not know about guys like Maxiel and Delfino. Dumars started out 6 years ago with a cut and run policy. Take Cleaves. After Cleves rookie year Joe knew what he had and delt him for Barry. Delfino is starting his 3rd year and we still really do not know about him.

Our team is also lacking a backup point so I have to believe something is going to get done there. Hunter never wanted the primary backup point role in the past so I don't know if that changed.
  5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Who said Amir was the "next Kobe?" You gotta be kiddin me! Amir is a talented prospect in his own right and needs to get better. But the next Kobe? Let's don't go overboard here.

High school age 2nd round picks don't "rot" on the bench. They are too "fresh" for that. The idea is to school em and feed em. And then in about their 3rd year...WHAM! A significant contributor off the bench.

Kobe was a lottery pick. Amir was the last pick in his draft. No comparison.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actualy, Alex Acker was the last pick in that draft Mad!

And now he is going to be a Euro star in Greece! BOOHOO! :D
  7. roscoe36

I like Dale Davis. It takes a tough man to get tazered and still continue his basketball career. In fact, that tazering may have rejuvenated him.
  8. max

max All-Star

IF, IF Amir is to be the next Kobe. Point is players with talent, even young players, do play some in their rookie years. We have the Dev league now but Amir was still on the roster for significant stretches.

Amir was one of the top college prospects but could not get his grades up to be eligible. This scared many people off. If he would have went to college for a year or 2 then he could have been a lottery pick.

He has talent. The formula of having them sit for their 1st 3 years learning from the bench only developes them for other teams. Look around at guys who you thought did not play much in their 1st few seasons and you will find that they played a lot more than what you thought.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah Amir is a Pro ONLY because he couldn't make the grades to a DIV I powerhouse. at 59 he's a decent investment though. Hopefully the pistons can lock him in to a 1-2 mil contract when he's due for a new one. It'd be like getting a mid lottery pick. The only thing he'd be missing is the do or die atmosphere of the tournament.
  10. roscoe36

Brilliant post slip. It's all about the Benjamins. This is not Amir' year. Not when his contract will come up in June. This kid will be stashed for further aging and development.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Which brings up the draft question. Do you really want to pull a kid out of high school on the off-chance he's Kobe or Lebron's second coming?
  12. max

max All-Star

I believe Amir wanted to go to college but could not qualify. Pitino was reqruting him.

CardinalSports.com - Report: Amir Johnson could still be a Card?

There are other reports in which it appears that Johnson did want to go to college. This bring up the question of where guys like Amir are going to fit in with the new draft age restrictions.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Watching hoop dreams...so many kids get caught in the middle of the system. Not academically sound enough to make college...Not the phenom worthy of a preps to pros leap.
    What were Amir's options? JC? He's not really going to do anything but play basketball. Would a tier 2 school be any better than pistons practice and NBDL exposure?

What were the pistons options? Why NOT choose Amir? who would they grab? Alan Anderson? They WERE looking for someone to stash anyway. this was the 2nd to the last pick. not the 2nd pick.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Haven't the 'stons learned their lessson yet? Tried to stash Okur, didn't work. Tried to stash Darko, disaster, trying to stash Delfino, ain't working. The one player they didn't try to "stash" was Tay, and you know what that worked.
  15. roscoe36

16, they didn't try to stash Okur. And the rules have changed for 2nd round picks. If the Memo situation was repeated with today's rules, they could have kept him.

Unlike Memo, they don't necessarily need AJ this year. And unlike Darko, he has very little national hype and a low profile.

Maybe the Pistons made mistakes in the past, but I will give them a lot of credit if they can figure out how to work the system to their advantage.
  16. max

max All-Star

These guys need to play to keep them happy.

Are other teams "stashing" players? Does it work? 2nd year players no matter their situation should be playing by then.

For comparison Jermain O'Neal played 458 mins in his rookie season and 808 the following year. Bryant 1,103 and 2,056. Amir Johnson 39 total minutes. Its going to be his 2nd year and if he has talent then he should play at least 400 minutes. Thats not to say that he will be as good as those guys but in my opinion he is the only young guy we have with superstar type potential.
  17. bigmaninthepost

bigmaninthepost Second Round Draft Pick

Amir Johnson was assigned to the Lafeyette team in the NBA-Development league. So he can't help us out this season. Flip Murray and Ronald Dupree should be the backup guards. Lindsey Hunter should retire. Delfino looks like he's going to Barcelona. And with Ben now gone, I think we should have kept Darko.
  18. max

max All-Star

They can call him up anytime though right? And he can still make the roster.

If Murry, Dupree and Hunter are our main backups then we are in trouble. I can't believe that.

BTW - We traded Darko to make salary room for Ben ( remember that ).

Thanks for the responses guys. I was starting to think this would be the 1st thread without a single response.
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

If Amir does get into college and goes for the four years, do the Pistons continue to hold the rights to him?

I think it would be his best opportunity, getting to play a college schedule for four years. Playing under a good coach in college makes one heck of a lot of difference.
  20. max

max All-Star

Lazy - Once a player declares for the draft he loses his college eligibilty. I think they have a certain deadline to withdraw but once drafted thats it.