radio broadcasts moving?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Rob Parker says WDFN is trying to pick-up Tigers and Red Wings games. To do this, they want to move Piston broadcasts to WJLB, the FM hip-hop station (click here for the story).

I like the thought of clear FM broadcasts. I don't like the Pistons taking the backburner to the Tigers and definitely not the Wings. Any other implications here?
  2. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I guess it sucks to be second or third fiddle, But considering I can't get 1130 OR 1270 where I live, this would be awesome.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would prefer they were on FM, but it will affect the quality and frequency of Pistons interviews on Sportstalk. AM doesn't reach where I am very well.

We have to understand that it is all about the Tigers. The Tigs have a nation of fans behind that is huge. Maybe 3 Tigers fans for every 1 Pistons fan.

Rob Parker's moles have been pretty reliable in the past...
  4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I would prefer the fm station. Can't get good reception from the am broadcast. That way i can watch on tv and listen on the radio and tune out morons like Walton.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Usually I just put the mute button on if the commentators are bugging me. I noticed on some of the old stuff on NBATV that I could hear the crowd noise much more more, and that it made watching the game more exciting. Now I think they have the sound on the miked up commentators turned up and you're pretty much forced to listen to them yammer on. I started just muting early in the year when everyone was doing the bandwagon LeBron and Wade hype.

Easybuckets, I tried listening on the radio while I watched the games on tv while I was in chat last year. There was about a 10-15 second time difference which drove me crazy. I'd see Ben Wallace slap away the ball from someone for a big steal and then the radio guys were telling me about it after he was long gone up the floor to go do something else. It drove me nuts.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I imagine it's partly just technology - lots better directional microphones now that only pick up what you want them to.

:angrysoapbox: Partly though I think it's a symptom of the general loss of civility in public speech these days. If today's broadcasters had mics that picked up crowd noises around them the broadcast would have to be on a five second delay in order to bleep out all the cursing from nearly fans. And of course anything that slipped through would incur the wrath of our newly empowered and emboldened FCC who would start slapping fines all over the place.

I was in college when it was first becoming popular for fans to chant B******* when they disagreed with a call. I remember the administration issuing proclaimations suggesting that this wasn't the sort of thing that we should be doing, etc. Someone at Virginia (and I imagine many other schools) made up a code list and passed it around to everyone attending games. So instead of chanting scatalogical language we would all gather for a chorus of 2 1 1 -- 2 1 1 -- 2 1 1. Some of them were particularly clever, especially those relating to Lefty Drisell.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think my buddy D4E is in Lexington, so he may be able to verify this anecdote. When I lived in Lex, the University of Kentucky had a hockey club that would play their games at midnight. It was a favorite for drunk college kids to attend after hitting the bars. They would broadcast the games on local cable access, but they would have no sound, because otherwise the profanity of the drunks would drown out everything else. Ahhh, hockey in Kentucky!

I'm no longer in Detroit, and I must admit that I will truly miss Blaha and Mahorn calling those games on WDFN. One of the great joys of my life was crankin up the old AM radio and listening to the games.:(
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

AM broadcasts are crap, but they range much farther than FM. I'm surprised you have AM problems in the Windsor vincinity.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm a few blocks away from Devonshire Mall.

At a certain time each night, I know WDFN cuts it's transmission range/strength down.

I really can't explain it, only that it happens. Sometimes in the dead of winter, I will go for a drive closer to downtown to get better radio reception in my truck. HOW DIEHARD IS THAT?
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

No, I live in the DC area, but I did grow up in Lexington. I didn't see any of those games, but a friend told me a fun story about one of them that he went to with some other pals. I think it was UK vs. Vandy. A fight broke out in the game that spiralled out of control, with multiple other fights breaking out between other players, and pretty soon everyone from both benches was on the ice and throwing the gloves off. The officials were totally powerless to stop it, and the fighting went on for like 10 or 15 minutes, some insanely long time like that. When I asked him what eventually led to the end of all that fighting, my friend said, "Fatigue." :lol: Needless to say, the game did not continue once that was all over--the total amount of penalty minutes served would have been in the thousands!
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That's pretty funny. I used to be a diehard Detroit Vipers fan. I used to go to many of their games. I think WDFN was the station that broadcast their games.

Same thing. I lived in White Lake, Michigan and the reception would just almost die out to nothing midway through the game. I didn't drive anywhere to improve my reception, but I would sit with my ear pinned against the stereo messing with the dial hoping for a couple minutes here and there of words I could understand.

But I guess it isn't too surprising or we both wouldn't be here talking about it. LOL.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

DIEHARD?...yeah...but that was probably with a side excursion to Wendys or Hortons...LOL!

Maybe you should investigate a better home AM antenna...? FWIW...I get 89X in the truck well past Sarnia on the way to Grand Bend.
  13. max

max All-Star

Tiger would overlap later in the season. The Wings? Are they still more popular than the Pistons?

Nationally Hockey is not that big, they even were booted off prime time nationally. Around here I don't know. During the Wings glory days the Pistons always took a back seat but at least they always had their own AM radio spots.

As long as they broadcast all of the games.