Przybilla offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MainManJoeD, Jul 4, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think Detroit needs to get this guy, but he can come off the bench as far as I'm concerned. Start Dyess at the 4 and Sheed at the 5. Sheed is very long and can guard the 5s and yank his defender out to the 3-ball line. If the 5 is a bad matchup for Sheed, i.e. outweighs him by a lot, then start Sheed at the 4 and start Przybilla at the 5. Otherwise, go with the offensive powerhouse and start Dyess.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i dunno, i think we can survive this season with my 5 headed monster theory. or 4 headed if we scrap cato. it doesn't mean it will be great, but it might be time to cut our losses at C for this season. i don't really want joe to have to overpay some junk-guy just cos there is slim pickings.
    maybe we can get a good big guy next draft depending on how well the magic go this season, otherwise trade up the draft board.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I just hope Sheed doesn't go on a rampage. Ben leaving is probably killing him right now. Pryzbilla at least has size. I wish we could do better, but we can't really. Pistons need some luck right now and they haven't had any luck for a while now.

4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He will be better than he was this past season. Once he gets included in th offense, his morale will definately go up. He felt like he was getting worked out of the equation, now he is going to a team that will not only say they need him, but they will also be hungry. Lookks like they will be trying to Garnett as well. How do you guys feel about that kind of motivation??

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I heard a rumor awhile ago that Mr. D. did not care about winning another championship as long as the Palace remained sold out everynight. He did not want to pay the luxury tax. He just wants to put a competitive team out there nothing more. Joe D's hands are tied if the old fossil does't want to pay luxury tax money.

Well I hope Mr. D. realizes that the Palace will not be sold out everynight if the team starts to lose. All we have been hearing for the last 3 seasons was that we have to save money for Ben Wallace as piece by piece of the team has been given away for nothing to save cash. First it was Corliss then Okur, Mike James, Arroyo and then Darko. We let all of these guys go and got really nothing for them. If you are going to let guy's go you have to get draft picks or another player for them. Now we have a team with no contracts to trade and no talent on the bench but unproven late round picks that have not been given the opportunity to play.

Now all we have is a Mid level exemption to go get Joel and then it is likely that will be the end of our free agent shopping because we have no money left. I pefer we roll with Cato and sign a proven scorer to come off the bench. This is not going to be pretty!!!:frusty:

6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I disagree. The Pistons need a true center who can block shots from the weak side in order to remain even an average defensive team, and Antonio "Red carpet to the rim" Mc_yess is not him. Whether Godzilla or DD starts doesn't really matter, but I've seen enough smallball for a while.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

After sleeping on it I'm ok with przy signing... as a couple posters mentioned he'll be very tradable in a year or two... may be just enough time to develop our draft pick next year.
    However this is a big step down as a help defender and overall hustle player.... so this is the contingency plan?

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You get it Winless. Bless your soul.

I dunno about Mr. D's instructions to Joe. I do know from some recent research that the payoff for staying under the tax limit is significant.

You see, typically when there is tax paid by any team, it is kicked back amongst all the teams. But the teams who didn't pay tax get a greater share.

So staying out of a tax situation is actually a big money maker. You earn money off the teams that pay tax. Talk about competitive (business...) advantage.

9. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

What is important now is keeping the all-for-one one-for -all Detroit attitude that Dumars created in tact. This is by far the most important asset Detroit has. A guy like Przybilla, and countless other young players can be brought in for a fraction of the cost and turned into solid players if the Dumars system remains in tact. That's the way the team was built, and there's no reason why it can't work again. We need to start translating by trade some of our assets (Billups right now) into young emerging players. Don't let any of the egos get to big. Trade guys at the peak of their value. Billups is the first to go.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. I would be okay with this way of doing business if we had been groming younsters and we had traded Okur before the season was over and he was a free agent and picked up a 1st round draft pick or another youngster and gotten way more for Darko and Arroyo. We gave up a #1 draft pick for Arroyo. So the Darko and Arroyo for Cato and the 2007 Orlando pick really sucks in value. Also lets not forget that the 2007 pick is protected I think it was 1 thru 7. So getting the 8th thru 13th pick in 2007 for Darko and Arroyo is not much value at all.

I am not for breaking the bank either but we had a window to win and now that window has been slamed closed. We kept trading and dumping salary to resign Big Ben so the organization claimed and now Big Ben is gone. So what was the point of it? I would have demanded Big Ben sign an extention 2 years ago and if he would have refused I would have traded him and got some value for him. I would not have let him walk and got nothing.

Money talks and BS walks. This was a painful lesson that the Pistons are fimilar with and should have known. If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it. We are repeating history again. Bring on Przybilla:fingerscr

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

That soundls like alot of adjustments. Switching centers depending on matchups and stuff. Are we sure that Flip can do that kind of thing?

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:frusty:

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

All I know is that we just fell from elite status. Prisbilla is just something they will throw to the fans. A serviceable big but slow and not going to cover our already suspect perimeter defense.

At this point, we probably need to completely re-tool around Tay and Rip.

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can see Mr D. not wanting to pay the luxury tax, and instructing Joe to stay under that. But I CAN'T see Joe D being ok with just being competitive to fill seats.

Joe is too much of a battler for that crap. He's a winner and he wants to win. He's got way too much pride to just be competitive.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You would think that Jammer, but to survive in the Pistons front office, everyone follows the boss' plan. If you rock the boat, (LB, Ben, Carlisle, Zeke) you get shown the door.

16. jammertime

I totally agree. I have no doubt Joe would be canned if he didn't play along. I'm saying I think he'd quit before going along with it.

I don't think Joe would have a very hard time getting another GM job. Its not like he'd be losing out on a big paycheque. And any loyalty he might feel towards the Pistons organization, I think would be nullified by the owner's cheapness and satisfaction for complacency.

Of course I could be way off. I've got nothing to back it up. Just my very outside opinion on what I know of Joe D.

17. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Davidson, for all his flaws, is a winner. His hockey team's had success too. He's just not gonna pay the tax, and it's not like that puts him in a minority among owners. Joe needs to blow it up and start over with young guys who haven't hit their big payday yet.

18. jammertime

I don't think he needs to totally blow it up, but the problem is that EVERYONE is in their prime. The starting 5 have all either just received are are about to get, their "big" payday. Plus, you throw in vets like Hunter, Dice and DD and theres your cap right there.

This organization has dropped the ball in player development. Sure we've got young guys, but they aren't given a chance to contribute.

We need to develop them so that they either a) supplant the expensive guys, making them expendable/tradeable or b) become tradeable commodities themselves.

We aren't going to get much for guys that have been rotting on the bench for several years and have nothing to show for it.

19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

We're capped out and not good enough to win it. Our players are tradeable, let's do it.