Przybilla offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MainManJoeD, Jul 4, 2006.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

This comes from the Blazer's Beat Writer, Jason Quick:

Quote:At 9 p.m. Portland time, Joel Przybilla will have a tele-conference with his agent, Bill Duffy, regarding an offer from the Detroit Pistons.

This comes after former Detroit center Ben Wallace agreed in principle to a free agent contract with the Chicago Bulls. The Pistons immediately made contact with Duffy regarding Przybilla, and apparently Przybilla will strongly consider the offer from the Pistons.

Reached at about 8 p.m. Portland time, Duffy said he expects Przybilla to make his decision by Tuesday morning after spending a night mulling over Detroit's offer.

Bottom line: It doesn't look good for Portland.

Both Portland and Detroit can offer the mid-level exception (about $5.3 million a year), and actually Portland can offer a little more with yearly raises, but the lure of being an instant winner with the Pistons appears to be very powerful with Przybilla.

Kevin Pritchard, the Blazers director of player personnel, just spent two days in Milwaukee with Przybilla. Pritchard on Monday night said the talks with Przybilla were at times emotional, and he understands the dilemma facing Przybilla. Other than that, Pritchard declined comment.

This is all very speculative right now - I will have more hopefully after Duffy and Przybilla talk tonight - but again, this doesn't look good for the Blazers. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Detroit landing Przybilla.

I will update as soon as possible.
  2. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the info.

This is probably the best move the Pistons can make to salvage next season. Przbilla is ironically a lot like Ben Wallace was when we 1st got him from Orlando. Shot blocking rebounder who does not score much. He has plenly of height though at 7'1" tall.

In 24 mins last season he avg 2.3 blocks, 7 boads and 6 points. At age 26 he still has plenty of time for improvement.

I think he would be a great move for the MLE.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Interesting. Actually, it looks like Pryzbilla is coming off a 2 year deal with Portland which means he is an an Early Bird player. The salary info in the quote is good.

If the Pistons use the MLE on Joel, that means no Bonzi. Speedy is already gone.

Leaves Delfino as the backup swingman and only $1.747 to shop for a free agent with the Bi-Annual Exception.
  4. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Joel 6 pts, 7 rbs, 2.3 blks. Efficiency rating 12.

Ben 6 pts, 11 rebs, 2.2 blks. Efficiency rating 18.

Joel is serviceable
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed Max. I think this move would be making the best out of a bad situation. Its like turning back the clock and getting a taller Ben-type player.
  6. roscoe36

My only concern with Pryzbilla is that he is 26. He's pretty close to his potential now. He only played 56 games last year. He's averaged 45.25 games in the last 4 years, and started 32.75 of those.

:fingerscr
  7. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

The only guy in the NBA that might lose a FT shooting contest to Ben. Can you say Hack-a-billa?
  8. jammertime

Fair enough, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have a true 7'1" starting Centre than a backup in Bonzi.

Of course, I'd rather have Speedy, Bonzi AND Joel. But since that can't happen, this would do.
  9. max

max All-Star

He is still better than nothing. Better than Kato.

When you think about it. With Sheed, Dyess and possibly Johnson or Maxiel contributing all we really need is a couple of decent 7' Centers to hold down the fort. We would have that in Prybilla and Davis.

Definite knock - extrmely hard to spell last name. I butchered it in the other thread.
  10. roscoe36

Look, I am all about spending money. You have to own pieces to make trades. Right now, the Pistons are trying to go the Budget rent a car route.

It's crazy, unless you want to be a miser. It's not condusive (sp!) to fielding a winner to have the cheapest roster of all the contenders.

You sign Cato. He's a Bird Rights FA whether you get Joel or not. Because you can trade him later. With Ben gone, the only other Bird FA we have is Cato.

No one is going to trade anything worthwhile for Dale Davis' small expiring deal, and/or Delfino/Maxiell.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Darko's better than Prissy (I mean Pryzy)...
    servicable would be adequte...
    I'd rather trade for someone like Butler or Etan Thomas.... tough and quick not Euro soft.
  12. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

przybilla is a good player. he ain't ben wallace.

he had a couple of monster games against us.
  13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Przybilla has a career rebound rate of 16.7, with a high of 18.3. Ben's career RR is 19.8, and he's one of the best rebounders ever to play the game. Przybilla's RR would be second among all Pistons, behind only Dale Davis's 17.1. Darko's, by the way, is 12.1, which is barely better than Rasheed's. With the Pistons losing the rebound battle every night even with Ben on the roster, I think it's important to find the best replacement in that respect before -3 RPG turns into -10.

I would think you'd back your country's player in the toughness contest?

Przybilla's stupidity and history of injury has me concerned, though.
  14. max

max All-Star

Should we be surprised? A couple of years ago Dumars was hailed as the guy that was able to win with a bunch of good mid-salary guys versus paying max dollars for a couple of superstars.

As it stands now we have 3 guys with near max contracts in Rip, Sheed and Tay and will probably have to break the bank next season on Billups.

I am still not convinced that this has implications about Davison not wanting to pay some tax. I think there were other issues going on between Ben and the Pistons because they seemed willing to pull the trigger on a max deal for Ben before all this.
  15. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

amazing how quick we go from Hoping to Win It All to Hoping We Sign Joel Pryzbilla.
  16. jammertime

The fall from the top is always the longest.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Why would Prissy select the Pistons over the Spurs who are Euro friendly?.. they need a starting center also.
    Blocking shots does not translate into good defender... he's foul proned and lazy at helping.
  18. roscoe36

The East's best player 3 years ago was Jason Kidd. Now it is LBJ, Wade, Shaq, Arenas and Mike Redd. Chris Bosh is up and coming.

The landscape has changed. Joe's vaunted mid-price team won a single title with a HOF coach. No one wants to hear this, but Flip is the weakest link. Even if we re-signed Ben, and got Speedy Claxton for the BAE, and Bonzi for the MLE, we still have a Tier 3 coach trying to organize everyone.

I'm sure the Pistons will win 55+ games next season and sell out heaps. But the playoffs could be another rude awakening...
  19. roscoe36

20. jammertime

Wasn't Ben 25-26 when we got him?

I don't know how many games he played compared to Joel in that same time frame though. (internet is running really slow, or I'd look it up)

I'm not trying to say that Pryzbilla will be the next Wallace, only saying that he might be a decent (and fairly cheap, comparatively speaking) replacement, given the circumstances.