Probable 2013 Off-Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 17, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

#1) I think Gores replaces Dumars with a new-school metrics type. He and Dumars have never seemed to be quite on the same page. I think he just let him run the team this season because he hadn't figured out who he wanted to replace him yet. All the "consultants" and such he's brought in have been metrics people. Joe Dumars might not know what "metrics" means. Gores seems pissed. He didn't hire Dumars. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of the "ah shucks old school anecdotal 'basketball knowledge' GM".

#2) I think Gores and the new GM replace Frank. I have no idea who it will be. The new GM will probably have some input on it. Gores will probably want to make a big splash - and sell some tickets - with a big name, if he can. He also wants to make the playoffs immediately, so he might look for someone with NBA HC'ing experience. If his people have a great young assistant in mind, however, it could happen. Defense-first does seem to be a priority for Gores too.

#3) DRAFT. I think we're going to end up with Shabazz Muhammad. Slated to pick 8th right now. If we're lucky, he'll still be on the board, and he'll be the best player on that board. Pre-season #1 pick, perhaps overanalyzed, question-marks sure, but reminiscent of Drummond's quandry last draft. If Muhammad's not on the board at #8, the best pick honestly would be Giannis, but I don't think Gores will wait a season for his pick. Idk what we'd do at that point. Maybe the kid from Lehigh? His reports and highlights look EXCELLENT. Better than Burke even.

#4) Free Agency. There are some bench issues that need to be taken care of. Backup big man is needed. Backup point guard is needed. Could be Max and Jose/Bynum. Could be new people. Won't be big money signings. New GM and HC will decide. But it's clear that Gores wants to make as big a splash as possible with his FA signings. Excite Detroit. Sell tickets. Put butts in the seats. Make playoffs. Make money. Make the franchise valuable again. I think he's gonna amnesty Charlie-V and buy out Stuckey to clear as much space as possible. I don't like Josh Smith as a three, but Gores might like him as a name? Mayo might be possible. RFA T. Evans might be possible. RFA B. Jennings might be possible. Kev. Martin might be possible. C. Brewer might be possible as a bench signing.

C: A. Drummond, J. Maxiel, S. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko
    SF: T. Evans, C. Brewer, K. Middleton
    SG: B. Knight, K. Singler
    PG: C. McCollum, J. Calderon

I guess I'm hoping that we A) Draft McCollum, B) Out-bid SAC to get T. Evans, C) Sign C. Brewer to off-set our small lineup, D) If we can afford it, keep Calderon to mentor the kids and Maxiel to keep things tough.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Tyreke Evans? Maybe, but we need shooters not slashers. Plus his price will be far too high, I don't think we will be the only ones in the race. Corey Brewer is over valued.

I'd rather go with OJ Mayo here. He can stroke 3's, has good penetration. I like Millsap too. If Utah misses the postseason they may go into a rebuild.

Josh Smith won't come to Detroit for less than the max. I have a feeling that we will be fighting other teams for him too.

I think you are really undervaluing Dumars. He is a good GM. He picks great in the draft. He has awesome feel for the game. He doesn't need to know the metrics, he just needs people around him who do. Combine his knowledge, with some solid defensive metrics and he could build a great team, he has the base now, he deserves another chance. Ben Gordon and CV had the potential to be awesome signings, but they didn't work out.
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.
    blueadams, kpaav and Nemo like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The last ten years falls on the lap of Dumars. Wether good or bad...he was in the driver's seat.
    Problem is...the last 5 years has been a train wreck. He picked the coaches, and chose the players.
    Only way he deserves a free pass is if he completely poopoo..ed the Frank selection as coach.
    If he stays on.....he'll begin to be compared to Matt Millen.
  5. The Panda

Not sarcasm. Dumars has made bad decisions. Sure. We are not arguing about that.

But here are the facts:
    - He has smashed the draft in the last few years. Drummond, Monroe and Knight were all fantastic picks at their position. Middleton is showing to be a great pick as well.
    - He has had his hands tied, first by Davidson, and by Gores as well. Gores bought in Frank, Dumars let him. I think he has only just hand his hands untied (see ->TP/Daye for JC, Gordon for Maggette), because that is how things work in takeovers.
    - He represents the Pistons as a franchise better than anyone else, and I would stake any amount that it is constantly on his mind. Make no mistakes, he cares.

And really, who else is qualified to do his job? We know he has the ability to spot undervalued talent. He tried to go flashy. He got burnt. What makes you think he makes the same mistake twice? Dumars thought he could outwit an all in rebuild. You can't do that. We aren't the Lakers.

You bring in Laimbeer, and this team has instant identity, probably more so than any other team in the league. You bring in more lockdown defenders and that identity is cemented.

You bring in Jackson for 'any money', and we are just the mercenary team clutching at straws. Triangle offense won't work with our team anyway. No one can stroke the J well enough and the weak sides are too well covered.
    coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Wallace, Wallace and Chauncy had the potential to be horrible signings/trades, but they worked out.

I'd rather be the mercenary team clutching at straws with Jackson than a team with identity under Laimbeer. And I wouldn't mind Laimbeer at all, I'd really enjoy that too.
  7. The Panda

-Ben Wallace was a defensive warrior/boards cleaner who had fought from being undrafted into regular rotations. Charater signing
    - Chauncy, well just read the grantland piece on him. Character signing
    -Rasheed Wallace, misunderstood, huge potential. Had respect for Dumars and LB. Character signing.

See a pattern here?

You go mercenary, you don't come back. Jackson is a terrible fit, from a PR, character and system point of view.

I don't know enough about Laimbeer to comment on systems, but he would be great for PR, and great for character.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Zenmaster is a bad fit here. He's the bright-lights, big-stars kinda guy. That's not Detroit's style. Plus, just because he's a damn good coach doesn't mean that he'll make a good executive.
  9. blueadams

Evans is shooting over 50% from the field this season. He's improved to a tremendous degree in that regard. He's big, strong, and athletic enough to play the 3 too - important if we draft my guy McCollum instead of Muhammad - which Mayo isn't.

Brewer is a nice defensive 3 or 2. I think he'd bring a lot of things here we'd like, regardless of who else we bring in.

I'd rather have a combination of Evans/Mayo and Brewer than Smith, who is a 4.

It's things like watching his team go on pointless April winning streak after pointless winning streak, ruining draft standing, that angers me the most about Joe-D.
  10. blueadams

If it's an outside shooter we need, then perhaps Kevin Martin works best with McCollum; O.J. Mayo works best with Muhammad. Still want Brewer either way.

C: Drummond, *Maxiel, Kravtsov
    PF: Monroe, Jerebko
    SF: *Martin, *Brewer, Middleton
    SG: Knight, Singler
    PG: *McCollum, *Calderon

or

C: Drummond, *Maxiel, Kravtsov
    PF: Monroe, Jerebko
    SF: *Muhammad, *Brewer, Middleton
    SG: *Ma
    yo, Singler
    PG: Knight, *Calderon
  11. blueadams

Idk. Maybe we'll just sign the best two max-FA's that we can.

Doubt CP3'd consider us. J. Smith is a 4 and doesn't make sense. Ginobli's not leaving SA to come here.

RFA T. Evans makes some sense.
    RFA B. Jennings makes some sense. ETO A. Iguodala makes some sense. ETO M. Ellis makes some sense. PO O. Mayo makes some sense. PO JR Smith makes some sense. C. Brewer makes some sense. K. Martin makes some sense. N. Robinson might make sense (as a backup point). J. Teague might make sense (as a backup point). J. Calderon, of course, might make sense. M. Chalmers might make sense (as a backup point).
  12. blueadams

Perhaps.. I'll take McCollum and 2 of Iguodala/Mayo/Evans/Smith/Martin/Jennings/Ellis/Brewer

C: A. Drummond, S. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko
    SF: *A. Iguodala, K. Middleton
    SG: *K. Martin, K. Singler
    PG: C. McCollum, B. Knight
  13. The Panda

I love how you think that's his call
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two interesting notes of interest:

The Pistons tied Washington for the seventh-worst record in the league. A coin flip Friday will determine which team has the seventh-most combinations in the May 21 NBA Draft Lottery, and which has eighth-most. The draft order inverts in the second round, with the coin-flip loser picking before the winner.

The Pistons also could end up with a third draft pick this year. The Los Angeles Clippers, by virtue of a top-55-protected pick they sent to Detroit in the 2009 Alex Acker trade, might have to send their pick to the Pistons.

The Clippers tied with Memphis for the fifth-best record in the league. If the Clippers win the coin flip, they would pick ahead of Memphis in the first round, but after the Grizzlies in the second round. That would give the Clippers the 56th overall pick, which removes the protection and gives the pick to the Pistons.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We really don't need 2 2nd round picks. Maybe to round out some sort of trade or something though.

Too many young players with a likely new coach who is not going to have any interest in giving them open tryouts next season.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Only a crazy person or an amnesiac would compare Dumars to Matt Millen.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm wholly amused that a coin flip is going to determine whether a second round pick gets traded. What a strange coincidence.
    blueadams likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To think, if we lose the stupid coin toss, we would have given the Clippers Alex Acker for nothing. Talk about a trade coming back to haunt you....
  19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

You are a good person..... you are mean. :)
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What happens if Mike Abdenour can't come back? Gores will surely want to make a splash if he has to choose a new trainer.