Preseason Pistons vs Heat ~ October 22nd

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I doubt you will. I think he was lashing at LB.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not worried about my integrity being called into question. I've always owned up when I am wrong and dispatched the necessary apologies.

Just the same, we "apparently" had a roster full of disgruntled players who were not crying to the press. Not Darko. Not Arroyo. Either of them could have given an off the cuff "pregnant dog session" by phone to their home media outlets.

They didn't and I respect them for that. Just like I respect Ben for not openly campaigning against the Cola.

If he did it once, thats one thing. But he did it twice and thats embarassing. Embarassing to the fans, the franchise and JD. It's what LB did on a lesser scale and from a guy without the credentials to back it up.

If he can keep the "I'll play for Real Madrid" quotes out of the press this playoffs, I am a Delfino fan.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tbird

There is a player performance prediction thread which I believe Micro said he would be stickying after the preseason. There, anyone who cares to, can write down their predictions on how each player will do. Me, I am going to add a guess at the playoff roster at that time. Just something fun to do. Something to talk about.

The vibes I am getting from what I am reading is that Hunter will retire. However, it makes me nervous seeing Hunter retire with no proven replacement to guard Wade. Anyhow, most likely, it will be Maxiell, not Hunter, on that playoff roster, and we will do just fine.

Now, Maxiell does give you foul proof depth at the 4/5. Not that he can play the 5 really, but him playing 4 with one of Davis, Darko, Sheed, Ben, and Sheed playing the 5 is an option. So he really does give us great depth at big man. But that is not why I want him on the roster so much. Its more I want to see him become a small forward, like Corliss, capable of flat out abusing the opposing small forward. I believe if we did have Hunter on the squad, Maxiell would be more of an asset than Evans. This is my prediction. Got a whole season to look at whats going on. To me, getting these issues out there just makes it that more interesting following how the season goes.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lee

I can see it now. Lindsey Hunter retires and you write.."As you know, Ive always been one of Hunter's biggest supporters..."
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

basketbills

No, that would not be true at all. Although I have been a fan of Hunters for a long, long time, I did not have much faith in him for much of last year, and I was pretty verbal about it. He proved me wrong toward the end of the year, and did an amazing job guarding Wade in the Miami series.

This does not mean I won't hope the Pistons find a good replacement for Hunter, one who can play D like Hunter (or at least somewhere close) and also hit shots. And preferrably, help run the offense.

Evans was brought aboard to play defense, and he can shoot too. But he does nothing to help run the offense. At least not yet. But Evans is just a 2nd year player really so we can hope at least. Meanwhile, his first game as a Piston against Wade did not go that well at all, in my opinion. Evans does not seem the greatest option at this time to replace Hunter.

I will add something to this discussion though. Hunter often played with the starters when guarding Wade. Ben Wallace was often backing him up. I would like to see Evans guard Wade while playing with the starting unit. (Or maybe with Prince, Maxiell, Ben, and Darko in the game with him.)
  6. Slippy

I was simply saying that I believe the source of CD's bad attitude is not here anymore hence no foreign press drama. I don't question your integrity or your judgement. Its all just opinion anyway. Well, I'll save you a seat on the Delfino bandwagon. We roll right behind the Milicic wagon...caravan style. toot toot!
  7. roscoe36

Thanks for the laugh. :D
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

people are realizing that the problem with our bench was lb not the guys on the bench. isn't it weird we boosted our bench by getting rid of 1 person??? a few people have realized that delfino would have been nice to have on the playoff roster instead of darvin ham. also his game against the heat wasn't average at all. he's playing great and contributing off the bench. he's dropping more dimes than our backup point guard and he's hitting the boards too. he's also the only guy driving to the hole and causing problems and he's not longer a defensive liability.

he also had that sweet tip dunk against miami. even shaq was impressed how can you not be. here are some pics of the game. i was wayyyyy up at the top so i couldn't use flash. the pics turned out pretty good. i was happy it was my first game at the palace. the last pistons game i saw in person was at the silverdome.

http://www.pbase.com/jason_ramon/pistons_vs_heat
  9. bball jay

his coach showed him that complaining to the press was the best way to communicate. if the leader isn't doing things in house why should carlos be held to those standards. i respect carlos for fighting back against the tyrant. does anybody have a clip of carlos cussing lb out that one game???
  10. roscoe36

Hit up FreshPrince22 nicely and he may be able to supply it. He's the video guru.
  11. Slippy

I don't think that its all "the unnameable one's" fault. Delfino needed to recover. Milicic needed time to develop which he never had until this off-season.
    It would have sucked if he stayed and it was the same dog and pony show.

I agree with you, though, LB did a lot of talking in the press that made a lot of people go :confused: and then :P . It wasn't right for CD to do that too but hey it wasn't a capital offense. A LOT of people were calling for CD head.
  12. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

bball jay

Although I agree that LB didn't utilize the players we had on the bench as much as he should have, Delfino's problem last year (apart from his attitude) was that he was injured. He is a completely different player right now from the one he was three months ago now that he's had a chance to build up the strength in his knee. So to argue he should have had Ham's spot last year rings pretty false. Everyone knows he couldn't have contributed much for us in the postseason last year.

As for me, I was one of the biggest Delfino bashers last year for the same reasons Micro listed. Regardless of the problems he had with LB, he didn't have the right, especially as a rookie, to spout off the way he did. Darko had more reason to go off in public at LB and didn't. I also questioned Delfino's toughness.

At this point, I'm willing to give him a second chance with a new coach. The fact is that he has some skills that no one else on the team really offers (especially his ability to take the ball to the hoop), and can be a valuable asset for us. Hopefully he's learned a few things from his experience last year.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

14. bball jay

nope. ramon is my middle name. don't want my identity stolen so i don't use my last name :eyebrows: it sucks to have such a common first name. when i went to school there would be at least 3 jasons in every grade.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Don't worry, we've got Warthog's now so yours is safe. :laugh:
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He can give us a lot of bench points in the playoffs though, and Wade was 3-11 ao you can't say evans did bad even though rip gaurded him too.
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nice game pics...and excellent site I might add. Well done.

I will be one of the first to admit that you never soured on Delfino. I've been impressed with what I've "heard" so far (since I haven't been able to catch any preseason games yet) and I can't wait to see one half of Los Dos go to work. The Brown "stifle talent" opinion is a very interesting one. Unfortunately, I think it is a question we will never truely have an answer for as we have never seen how a young player develops under his tutelage. Brown normally leaves a coaching situation before we can see the fruit of his labors. He just might be the Clint Eastwood "Million Dollar Baby" coach who cripples his young players and prevents them from reaching the next level. One thing is for certain, he definitely has a talent for making a moderate team good and a good team great.
  18. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Bills

ROTFLMAO, LMAO!!!!!!
  19. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

about CD

The above highlighted quote says it all for me, the dude was flat out WAY out of line... ESPECIALLY AS A ROOKIE ACTING OUT LIKE THAT!!! Even his own fellow countrymen (Nocioni, and Ginobli) reprimanded him for those immature statements. Even a blind man could see from pre-season last season and before the injury that the kid could flat out play, but no man is above the law folks especially on a veteran squad like ours!
    With that said you can just look at #20's frame and see how much better shape he's in coming into this season. Just by looking at him he appears a bit more chisled and likely no longer 230ishlbs. He no doubt brings a LOT of talents & skills we could use therefore as long as he continues to act like he wants to be a Detroit Piston he is fine by me.

GO PISTONS!!!!!!
  20. bball jay

thanks.

you are correct brown can make a moderate team into a good one. he also made our great team even better. but develop talent and leaving a franchise in a better state than he got it isn't one of larry's strong points. he normally leaves a coaching situation after his tinkering has caused the ship to sink. then the young players bolt for other teams. joe dumars didn't allow this he's a great gm. we got the championship and we still have the young players and healthy franchise.