Preseason Pistons vs Bulls ~ Oct 11

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by Superstarov, Sep 19, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You're welcome. Here's a recap:

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I still predict that Sweetney will have a better season than Curry. Just my opinion. ;)

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Arroyo

Nice job LanierFan.

I agree with you about Arroyo overpenetrating. That's been his biggest weakness, along with his D, since arriving.

I'm sure as he gets more comfortable with Flip's offense, he'll improve.

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

piston tv

i wish i could watch every piston game this year...any suggestions, my bruddas??:eyebrows:

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

2nd half

Delfino can actually play. Surprise to me. Arroyo the same as in the playoffs--penetrates only to keep the ball and get stuck. Darko can block shots but the other areas of his game are still iffy. He just doesn't rebound well. His usefullness overall to the team's purpose is an open question. Evans can shoot but we really need him for the D. Couldn't gauge his D.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

82 games ++

NBA League Pass + NBAtv + Tivo = every piston game.

7. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Lookin' Good

:peace:Just want to take this opportunity to congratulate Flip on his first NBA Championship. Our boys looked good tonight. There's a lot of talent on that team.

Sheed looks like a teenager out there. Guess what? Delfino has Piston DNA. He'll be a baller this year. Maurice Evans is a Christmas present come early. Darko will be playing a lot of minutes this year, especially at the end. He's got it, guys. Still getting the emotional side down. Bosh who? Chauncey, Ben, Tay, Dice. God, I'm feelin' good.

Glad channel 20 didn't televise this thing. They probably would have trained the camera on the hot dog vendor.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Offense

I'm very disappointed in this offense. It looks eerily like the Cola's gameplan of having everyone scattered around the perimeter and having Ben as the only one near the basket. We are going to get killed on the boards. Chandler had a field day. Ben will probably go back to leading the league in rebounding, but we will be one of the worst as a team.

Everything was jumpshot after jumpshot after jumpshot. We got hardly anything in the paint all night. If this is going to be our season, it can't continue like this. We HAVE to get points in the paint. If we fail to do that in the playoffs, we are toast. Ben - 1 Post Up; Sheed - maybe 2; Prince - 0 Post ups; Dice - 0 Post Ups; Darko - 1 Post Up & one pass received for a dunk. That's unacceptable. Preseason or not, this is when they are supposed to be working in the things they will be doing on a regular basis.

Sheed and Ben looked good tonight. Chauncey was shooting the ball well. Rip seemed to be moving well. Delfino was 20 times more active than anything he showed during summer league. Darko held his ground well. Evans was unimpressive and Dupree was almost invisible. I also thought Arroyo spent too much time dribbling all over the place
    (shocker:scared:).

Well, at any rate, there really needs to be more focus on getting points in the paint. After listening to Fred and Greg call the offense crisp with a startling 87 points, I almost fell off the couch. Oh well, I guess I'll just drink more beer during games.:noidea:

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Whoooooaa there big feller!

It's just a pre-season. Long way to go...

PS: Baron Bowen failed to say the metaphysician FINDS the cat AT midnight in a brightly-lit cellar that is not there ;)

10. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

Perspective 4tW.

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Spacing wasn't great on the offensive end, but for a first game with a new system it was encouraging. (Add a beautiful Hamilton layup off a give&go from Sheed to Low's list, BTW.) The team did score a lot of easy points on the break, generally took care of the ball and made sound decisions.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

hmm...

wonder why the rooks didn't get any burn?

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Solid defense last night. Sheed is in mid season form and very active. For those looking for more Sheed inside fuhgedaboutit in this offense. This is not a post up offense by any means, it relies on alot of jumpers. As The Low said earlier, not alot of scoring going to the basket in the paint. Darko held his own, good interior defense, and he's playing alot stronger and confident.

Delfino is a playmaker on defense, but still lacks lateral foot speed to keep HIS man in front of him. Delfino has huge hands that are very quick, he plays passing lanes very well. He reminds me of a corner that gets alot of interceptions, but gets beat alot also.

Maurice Evans is going to be a nice fit, tough as frikkin nails, doesn't get alot of love from the zebras though. Dude plays the interior like he's 6'8" for real. Imagine a Darvin w/out the butterfingers, and a respectable shot from outside, that can handle the rock a little.

Again I wasn't really impressed by Darko, but I was satisfied and happy for the kid, he's better, he looks like he's ready to contribute, learn and work in this league. Once DMC gets a better rhythm his J will start falling alot more, that said he didn't seem like he was in love with the perimeter, he constantly hit the block to post up and called for the ball. Good job DMC.

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

kgreg and the low

Hmmm ... I'm worried about this. We were all screaming for Sheed to post up more last season. Are we gonna lose C-Note's post-up ability, too, when he has a mismatch? The NBA has turned to the vomit offense in recent years (just throw it up there). Not sure that's good for the Pistons.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that. We saw too many jump shots. It is the first preseason game though so I am going to hold back judgement right now until I see a more polished product.

17. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Really, I don't live that far from downtown Detroit, and I could have sworn I saw the preparations for a parade.

Re: Your metaphysician. Are you sure that was a cat he found in the cellar that was not there, and not WMD?
    :confused:

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

FWIW, it was the 1st game, and we were playing against a team with a very good defensive system. Also, we were always a jumpshooting team before. Except this time the shots will actually be open, and we will get a lot more fast break buckets.

As the season wears on I'm sure Flip will see things that work well and use them (ie. Chauncey posting up, Sheed posting up, etc). As it sits, 27 assists and 13 TOs is pretty impressive for Game 1 with bench players playing most of the minutes (compare that to Chicago's 13 assists, 16 TOs). And look at the assist distribution:

Sheed- 3
    Tayshaun- 2
    Ben- 2
    Rip- 3
    Chauncey- 3
    Arroyo- 3
    Delfino- 3
    Dice- 5
    Darko- 2
    Dupree- 1

So, everyone is sharing the ball well, and hitting the open man. And as Flip said, they are working on the rebounding today in practice. It's not like this is a finished product we're looking at. It should be good news that the coach sees the same problems we do.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Last night was a pre-season game and the main thing that I wanted to see was the PISTONS not the Detroit Timberwolves. LB may be gone but his teaching remains. This team still thinks defense first, and unselfish basketball. Rip is still moving, Chauncey is still Conducting, Ben is still thinking enough offense to make defenses honest, Sheed....oh Sheed looks MORE focused, Tay.......

We all dscussed how Flip would effect Sheed, would he get lazy and slack off??? We discussed Chauncey, will he become a shoot first PG at the sake of the team?? I think we saw the answers to those 2 ponderances, but the question nobody asked is......Would Tay revert back to being tenative without LB screaming for him to be more aggrresive?? if last night was an indication......well I don't want to go there.

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Kgreg

Too late, you've already been there twice. I get the feeling that the Passive Tay issue is rising to the top of your chart, with a bullet.

Maybe Tay has $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on his mind right now. Know what I mean. :eyebrows:

After the contract gets inked I bet he starts tearing up some A..

I hope it's just a security thing.