Preseason Pistons vs Bucks ~ Oct 13th

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ever think about Price comparing DirecTV (works anywhere) vs your cable package?... it might be a better deal... with more sports channels... just a thought.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are basing that on perception, not on reality. We took more 3s in 2005 than we did in 2004. That's fact.

In 2004, we shot 11.8 treys per game for 26th in the league.
    In 2005, we shot 12.8 treys per game for 22nd in the league.

12 three pointers is just average for this team. Nothing to make a big deal about.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

last year look at when we shot threes. late in the shot clock or when we were down in games. or when sheed was just jacking them up.

last game chauncey shot a 3 3 pointers in a row and 1 was on a fast break. it was in the 3rd quarter too. the difference this year is that teams will have to check the 3 the whole game. we will also probably increase our 3 points attempted this year.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

another interesting point for this game, chauncey was 4/6 on 3-pointers and the rest of the team was 0/6 :)

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

3's

People keep talking about it, bballjay, because they would like to see more of it. I don't mind the 3's, but I think there needs to be a mix. As long as the Pistons score in the low post, I'm happy. From your post, it sounds as if they're doing it. But I expect C-Note's three-point shots to go up significantly. If he picks his spots, fine. If he doesn't and starts relying on it too much, not fine.

6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Oh Yeah

The most comforting thing to me was the way our second unit completely reversed a lousy 1st half performance with a strong 2nd half. That kind of thing really builds trust from the coaching standpoint. I particularly liked the way that unit produced good shooting opportunities for Dice.

Whoever called Acker "SMOOTH" during the summer league, hit the nail on the head. He seemed quite unflappable when pressured.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

as long as he's shooting 4-6 from 3 point land i would love for him to increase his amount of attempts. i don't think he would ever rely on it. the 3's he shot were basically wide open kick outs. he never really had to create to get a 3 off. if chauncey is wide open at the 3 point line i say let it fly.

the post ups won't be a problem this year. i think we will be in the post more often than last year. the bigs are all great passers. there seems to be a high low option in the offense that the bigs were working on yesterday. also there is a play where sheed throws an oop to ben. this year we will definitely be in the paint and getting fouled more because our movement in the paint is usually towards the basket. the bigs are not going to a specific spot and then fighting for position.

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

That all sounds good to me. I don't have a problem with C-Note taking some three's if they're open. Tay, too. He was deadly at UK. I'm always yelling at C-Note to take more of them in the fourth quarter. And you're right, we have some good passing big men. If they can break down the D in the post with some good passes (especially against slow-footed 'Zo and Snaq), I'll be a happy Pistons fan. Throwing some postups in there will be great if the mismatch is there.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Gazoo----->:director: :hand:<---------- Billups

10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Darko's fouls

I would like for him to get fewer fouls but I can readily see why he is getting them at this point. He has been blamed for playing without passion and is trying to get more aggressive. And you probably remember that Chauncey said the other day that with Darko coming off the bench, he should be playing that way and "not worry about fouls".

I think he will not only get more knowlegable about when to be more aggressive and when not to, but also, he will begin to get some of the respect that other players get.

Interesting question, too, will Shaq be able to guard Darko. I guess it depends on how they call it when Shaq is not guarding Darko because he can't keep up with him. Kind of like Rip. You have to stay with them to be guarding them, unless the officials let you get away with it.:thumb:

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We probably have one of the better 3 point shooting teams. Chauncey is one of the best especially in tight games, Sheed is one of the best 3 point shooting big men, Tay can step out and hit that 3, Rip is getting a lot better. Ben not so much, but he can hit them in practice (saw a pistons practice on nba tv).

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Shmoove

If I remember right, it was Mercury in the "Training Camp Sneaking up on us" thread on 09-02-2005, 04:03 PM.

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

bball on threes

Absolutely. That little Chauncey sequence in the third quarter shows the differences in philosophy between Flip and Larry. No way Larry would have let chauncey do that--maybe one three and then we would set it up. And we wouldn't have scored 9 points last year--no way. There will be times where Chauncey and others miss, but we have that open look in our repertoire. Teams are really going to have to guard us this year and not just pack it down like Indiana did. They have to fear Chauncey every q uarter or the game. We can deliver knock out blows at times with our offense. I also like Ben on those slants to the basket as they throw the ball in to him. That is where Ben is tough offensively.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The downside of Chauncey's 3-point barrage came after the 12-0 run. The Pistons began jacking up long shots without much in the post and the Bucks came back a little. That'll be a temptation throughout the season, I think.

One note of caution: We'll start missing Lindsey soon. Watching Mo Williams and Charlie Bell go off big-time after that pretty run brought home the fact that we don't have other guys who can shut down dribble penetration. That'll hurt us in a wide-open game of trading Js.

15. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I doubt we miss Hunter. Once Flip gets a few of his ZONES installed we should be able to cut down on penetration. I know that I won't miss Hunter's ugly Jumper and inability to run the offense.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You guys will never be happy with CarArr.
    Concentrate on his effectiveness. What does the game call for?
    LB brought him in here to dish. So you thought he was a scoring weakness. When he went for the kill, a pass to Rip or Dyess early in the clock, you say he isn't moving the ball around enough. When he makes the extra pass you say he's T.O. prone or missed the open man. If he takes it to the hole he's selfish. As a backup One, he should hold a lead until the starters are ready. If we have a lead burn some clock- dribble.
    ... The Tre is an intregal part of the game. When it works for either team it will beat you, simple math. With hot shooters you must milk it. 45% or better... Lights Out!

17. roscoe36

More simple math.

How many 45% 3 point shooters are on this squad? In fact, how many 40%+ 3 point shooters do we have?

The answer to question # 1 is ZERO.

The answer to question # 2 is ONE.

And that one 40% shooter only hit that % one time. Chauncey Billups last year (42.6%). For his career he is a 38% 3 point shooter.

The problem is not taking more threes. The problem is team field goal shooting % as a whole. We don't have great gunners, and we don't have a 20PPG post man. Incidentally, you will find most teams that have one also have the other. Phoenix, Miami, San Antonio.

Teams that live and die by the 3 without a post game to create spacing generally end up spending a lot of time on the greens during the month of June.

The trey is sexy, but it is not indicative of a high powered offense. Since the NBA added the three pointer, scoring has gone down as attempts went up. And they know it.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Barely anyone shoots 45% from 3 consistently, and why would you want a hard 3 when you can get easier 2 point baskets where people actually do consistently shoot 45% or better.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Three

Micro and Himat, a hard three or semi-contested three is not better than a two. But an open--look three is one of the best shots in basketball. What Chauncey had was open-look threes. Those are good percentage shots for him. More important, I bet our percentages are better with him taking those looks than when we set up and get whatever we get. Our half-court offense is not high powered and we don't have a good post game as Micro and others have pointed out. It makes no sense to pass up a free look three only to set it up for a tough- to medium two. What you don't want to do is consistently put up shots early in the clock as that throws an offense off-kilter. But the league needs to know that you have to guard the Pistons for all 24 seconds.

20. roscoe36

I agree about that. Chauncey is deadly on open spot up threes.

I dunno. You would have to factor in whether the missed 3s were turned into fast break opportunities via the long rebound. Perhaps.

Agree and agree. But you need that "paint" game to get those open 3s.

True, but the occasional dividend of a tough to medium two is drawing a foul. You aren't going to get many fouls on wide open 3s. If you miss the 40% shot, you have to pray for an offensive board or it's a wasted possession.

I'll disagree with that. Let them sleep on us late in the clock. In all seriousness, I get your point. I just watched CB and later Troy Hudson/Sczerbiak in Minny and it looked like chucking without conscience at times. That is something I do not want to see.

Western Conference up/down ball doesn't play well in the East. This has always been the lower scoring, tough guy, slug it out conference. Draw the foul, pound the rock. Then pass out for the open 3. Chicago, Indy, even Miami (except Udonis Haslem will leave Sheed) won't play soft perimeter "D" like Phoenix, Denver, etc. There will be no "boys" between us and the Finals. Just men.