Post-Calderon thoughts on the off-season..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

One of the advantages the Pistons have in re-signing Calderon is the ability to offer him an extra year on his contract. Would anyone be willing to sign him for 5 years if that's what it would take to keep him?

Like lapiston said a few days ago, Calderon has shown what the Pistons were missing. NBA starting point and shooting guards.. I don't know if that means they should keep him.

He has been good, no doubt. There's just something about making a 31 year old PG your big free agent signing that carries a whiff of losing.

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But his game is not predicated on youthful athleticism. He'll still be a very good player at age 35, much like Kidd and Nash I don't imagine a huge slip in production.

pass99 likes this.
  3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm going to say something about the Calderon's trade that I have said before.
    I do not miss Prince. I thought I would miss him when he left but I don't.

Re-sign Calderon is important. But he is not the most important key.

I read so many post here about how Iguodala and/or Smith are not winners... well, Calderon is not a winner, guys.
    Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the Pistons being handled by this man, he seems to know what he is doing and when Drummond come back it will be much better. But we can't say that he is a winner and Smith don't. They both had their chances with good teammates and they didn't make it.

I don't think we can sign Josh Smith neither Iguodala, so we have to think in the other players, in Millsap, in Mayo if possible, in getting a better SF than Singler and Jerebko, and in, for once and for all, trading up in the draft if we fall outside a top 7 pick.

What is the most important key?

For me is to not make the same mistakes we made in the past. (Yes, I'm talking about Gordon/Villanueva)

Do not overpay players THAT MUCH.
    Do not sign free agents an hour after the free agency period is officially open. Wait a few days, check the big picture there.. test possible sign and trades with other teams... do your work!

That being said, Yes, I know that Calderon is our best option for years to come unless somehow we can get an already all-star point guard, but the chances of that are really low, so, it is important to re-sign Jose, as I said, but trying to be for the right price!

4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Karl Malone is a loser.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Way more so towards the end, once he turned into the Incredible Hulk. They young, simply muscular Karl was a serious high flyer and loads of fun to watch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you on this point.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With gordon and villa, it wasnt the raw amount of the contracts that bugged me, it was that we sought out bench players as our fa targets. If they were legit stars, we could overpay them a bit and live with their on court performances.

Calderon is similar in terms of defensive ability, but with pieces like drummond, it matters less. Also he brings a dimension offensively besides scoring, so he's a more needed component.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The fact that they were both 5-year deals was the ultimate killer.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We should keep Jose because he has that one quality that we're lacking...he's a good player.

Woody and KGREG like this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why is it that Smith & Iggy are considered impossible FA targets whereas Millsap & Mayo are seen as realistic possibilities?

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

#1. Iggy won't be opting out this summer. Do you really want to sign him to a 4 year contract worth between $50 and $60 when he's 30? Mind you, he's not Calderon, his game is heavily dependent on speed and athleticism.
    #2. I just think most folks don't really want to give Josh Smith a max deal and he'll be looking for one. 5 years for a contact worth about $80M, really? I say 5 years because we can do a sign and trade with Atlanta to give him more money, they don't have to necessarily get anything or anyone back in return outside of a really big trade exception, think Raptors and Cavs when Miami got James and Bosh. Although.........If Atlanta were willing to take Chaz and Stuckey back in a sign and trade........different story.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't Iguadola opt out if he knows that he'll get paid more by us? Is there tampering rules?

13. Walter

That's not what I meant. I'm curious as to why Iggy would be less willing to sign here than OJ Mayo.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Age. I think Mayo feels he can be a part of a team that is on the rise whereas I believe Iggy is in that window where he only wants to sign with (at worst) a playoff team.

The Panda likes this.
  15. Walter

All right, that argument makes sense.