Portland waives Oden. Should we sign him?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., Mar 15, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

He actually comes across as a really good guy in that interview.

We should sign him and give him banananas
    BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would certainly risk a few dozen bananas on that guy!
  3. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He can't be worse than CV.
  4. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I know that was written and interviewed by a friend, but I feel even more sorry for the bloke now. Sure he got himself into some of his own problems drinking during rehab, but the rest is just a lot of bad luck.

As for getting him to the Pistons in 2013; I understand Kander may be a good fit for him medically and pairing a healthy Oden with Monroe sounds amazing, but he sounds like he needs a calming veteran mentor and this is one of our biggest flaws going forward. Sure we have Tay, and I argued in another thread that keeping him wasn't such a bad choice from Dumars as we needed to retain some vetran influence, but he doesn't take me as someone who helps outside the gym. Maybe Wallace could do this from off the court, but we have to keep him at Detroit for a few years.

Either way, an interesting proposition for teams next year.
  5. The Panda

I think Ben Wallace would be the perfect mentor. He has had his own share of problems, and would most certainly be a calming influence, even if he was part of the coaching staff rather than a player.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Why this guy isn't already shacked up with Arnie Kander drinking smoothies is beyond me.

This guy has 'Detroit Piston' written all over him. It isn't very often that you get an opportunity to take on a situation with absolutely NO risk and an immense amount of reward. Someone mentioned Oden's need of a veteran influence. I think Joe (and his coaches, Arnie) would fit the bill nicely. Greg Oden isn't a knucklehead. He's a very intelligent/intelectual guy who discovered partying in his early 20's. If the worst thing he ever does is send a picture of his junk to a chic, I can live and laugh with that.

This has all the potential to be a really great story for the Pistons and Oden. The whole 'Once proud franchise gives damaged potential superstar his last/best shot' is highly compelling. If it worked out, it would be the kind of rags to riches story that makes up the plot of pretty much every Hollywood sports movie ever made. If it didn't work out, you STILL get props from Pistons fans for taking an unconventional shot at trying to improve the team. Oden ain't gonna command a lot of money. ...You also get some cred among NBA players for helping a brutha get back up when he was down.

The Armchair NBA General Manager sitting in my office at work right now would do this:
    Sign Greg Oden to the smallest possible one-year contract that the Players Union will allow for the 12/13 season ($800 grand? Less?). Tell Greg to go back to Ohio State and take some classes with the stipulation that he meets with Arnie on a regular basis and does all of the rehab/training that Kander (and Greg's existing doctor) recommends with the goal of reporting to training camp in the fall of 2013.

Best case scenario: In the fall of 2013, the Detroit Pistons have one of the best front-courts in the NBA with Monroe, 2012 1st rounder and Greg Oden.
    Worst case scenario: The Pistons swing and miss on a #1 overall pick who needed a shot at redemption. They spend about $800k on an intelligent guy that could possibly still fill an off-court role somewhere within the organization. The team scores a lot of cred with other NBA players who view the Pistons as a team who will simply give a guy an opportunity for success.
    Nemo likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

BDL told a very nice story. I wonder if his office chair has any armrests..........anyways.............

Getting back to Greg Oden. If the Pistons were willing to resign Stuckey and Tay for
    over 50 million after recently signing Gordon and CV for piles of money, then taking
    a chance on Oden should be right up their alley. At least take a look at the guy's
    medical history and let Arnie look at it to see if he could help...........
  8. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I doubt this would be the case, especially on this forum - it would be added to JD's list of fails pretty quickly.

I agree on the idea though, as giving him even $1M or more to get him through his studies and access to Kander would be the cheapest and smartest way to get him at a cheaper price (still expect someone to throw cash at him next year) and assess his readiness to play in 2013/14. Try and make it part of the contract that the Pistons get to match any offer from other teams when he is ready. He seems like a loyal type of guy who would be appreciative of the help and focus on getting him right in the longer term.

I wouldn't be suprised if a few GM's had already approached him with this idea though.

Just on the current lineup available...

C - Oden (healthy)
    PF - Monroe
    SF - JJ / Tay (6th man)
    SG - Stuckey
    PG - Knight

...looks pretty good.
  9. BallDon'tLie

I'm as critical of Joe as anyone on this board.
    For the life of me, I can't find a reason to be critical of Joe for potentially taking a flyer on Greg Oden.

If Joe offered him a 5 year $40 million dollar deal, then yeah, I'd be blasting him for it.
    ...but 1 or 2 years at the league minimum? - I'd give him props for thinking outside the box and at least trying to improve the team.

With the roster/salary situation the way it is right now, there isn't a lot of options.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

All the "nice guy, tough breaks" in the world don't change the fact that he has had 3 knee surgeries before his 24th birthday. Joe has been heavily criticized for cheaping out and signing past-their-prime or injured players. A few have worked out well (McDyess was an incredible steal), but most haven't (Webber, Coleman, Wilcox, McGrady). I think Oden will most likely fall into the latter category.
    pass99 likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

Oden has never reached his prime but health permitting, he could.
    The difference between Greg Oden and the other guys that you had mentioned is the fact that Greg Oden still actually has potential. He was once good enough to be the #1 pick in the draft. Webb, DC, Weezy, and T-Mac didn't have any potential by the time they arrived in Detroit. They were bums. If Greg Oden's ceiling is an 'off-the-bench big man', that's still something that the Pistons need. It's not like he's gonna command the type of money that will hinder Joe's ability to sign starters.

For the next couple of years, the Pistons' reality is that they can't sign anyone who isn't a diamond in the rough kinda guy. Sure, Roy Hibbert is a FA but he ain't gonna take Walker D. Jr money to come play in Detroit. Joe has created a situation for himself where he has to "cheap out".
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Webber and TMAC were proven NBA Allastars who had suffered serious knee injuries. The gamble was weather or not Arnie and the Piston's luck/magic could rehab them. I think after Dyess, we all (including Pistons management) put too much faith Arnie's banana and mango smoothies. Greg Oden is a potential NBA Allstar who has suffered (maybe worse) knee injuries than Webber or TMac.

That being said, I guess I would take a very small chance on Oden, but I would be extremely surprised if he ever plays meaningful minutes in the NBA.
    round likes this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Webber and McGrady were both way over the hill by the time they got to Detroit and their all-star years were well behind them. I was on-board for the C-Webb signing and kinda saw what Joe was trying to do. The Pistons offense needed passing and Joe thought he could get some assists and ball movement from Webber. It didn't work out that well but it wasn't a total disaster. Joe could have done better.

I never wanted Tracy McGrady. He's always been a heartless bum and he's never been a winner. He had some bright moments running the point last year but that was more of a reflection on Rodney Stuckey's lack of ability rather than T-Mac's PG skills.

Like you, I'll be suprised if Greg Oden ever amounts to anything. Three microfracture surgeries is a tough thing to come back from but he's only 45 25 years old. 7-1 dudes with his skills are worth taking a small chance on. I really don't even view it as taking a chance since there's not really anything to lose if it doesn't work out aside from a roster spot that they prolly were't going to use anyway. I view this as the type of bold move that if successful, could make up for one of the bad contracts that are currently on the books.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'd rather spend the money on Oden than roster fillers like Wilkins, Russel Jr etc.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yao Ming, Greg Oden, Jay Williams... let's sign them all as a method of stealth tanking.
  16. BallDon'tLie

Indeed.
    It's worth the price of a 4th string PG to see if Arnie Kander can rebuild a 7 foot #1 draft pick.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Shaun Livingston had a long hard road back to the NBA but he's contributing. If its possible, I'd like to see us take the risk. The return on investment could be huge. I am thinking he'd not sign with anyone and look to get more money after he proves his rehab. You'd need to sign him for 3 years to make it worth your while.
  18. The Panda

Let us not forget that knee injuries are not career ending like they once were. If this guy takes a whole year of rehab and really does it seriously (which I have no doubts he will), I don't see why he can't play until he is thirty. Beyond that, it becomes more difficult because the body can't heal itself as quickly.

By the way, the guy is 23. I reckon you could hook him if you offered to cover his college fees and provide additional rehab support.

And on a side note, he is a seriously dominant basketball player. I only ever saw him a few times (obviously), but he is scary good, and exactly what we need with Monroe.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Is there a single player in the NBA that is not interested in riding LeBron's coattails to falling short of a championship playing in Miami?
    BillLaimbeer likes this.