Home Portland Trailblazers Sunday, December 15, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think one team "wanting it" more than the other team had anything to do with the outcome. It was just the execution of a play or two down the stretch and the result is different.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Like I told Mrs. Dre, I can take a 20 point loss with a grain of salt to the best team, but when you have a 13 point 4th quarter lead vs the first or second best team in the league and lose the game by a bucket or two > it's what they call either a tough loss or a morale victory. ( cliche? ) I call it another dang-choking-loss to the team that is better than you, but you out played for all of the game with the exception of the last 2 mins.

The Wolverines faced the same issue yesterday with the same results.

The guards have to find the bigs for the possible layup/dunk/high percentage inside shot instead of relying on the jump shot from whatever distance that may or may not fall through the hoop. Instead they dribble around for 15 seconds looking for their own shots. The coach says they are running the plays for the guards and nothing for the bigs. Looks like we don't have enough confidence for option two......feed a big...
    roscoe36 and Lee356 like this.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This team is NOT a championship team YET...and BARELY a playoff team. I think I predicted a 38-44 season and thats what they are playing like. Let all this play out. And at the end of the year, we tweak some more. I refuse to sweat this team this year.
    linwood and Nemo like this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So many poor plays in the 4th qtr. unable to secure rebounds, turnovers, bad possessions on offense and the coach should pull Jennings down the stretch because he has no ability whatsoever to run a half court set. He sucks at QBing an offense, but he actually gets worse in the 4th qtr! I honestly think he tries to screw up the execution so that he can have an excuse to take that dumb step back fade away 3 pt sling shot.
    jzchen, brofmfa and LA Dre like this.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, there will be tweaking and the adding of 3 point shooting and the just plain maturation of young players like Andre. But right now, if you just add reliable point guard play, if there was someone who could get into the lane late in the game as a threat to score and dish or distribute, the Pistons would be 14-11 and not 11-14. A small but big difference in reality.

The question is can Jennings, at only 23, learn to be that guy? Or, is it really better to let him be a situational scorer as part of a back court mix that would mean bringing in another point guard. My worry about keeping Jennings at the point is that he doesn't seem to be a strong penetrator/finisher. He has and can learn to distribute but I am not sure about the penetration part. Will he be the Piston point guard or will he be better as a Jamal Crawford or Jason Terry type scorer--mainly off the bench??

Joe will have to decide but the Pistons cannot wait too long on this.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know you have mentioned it too. Jennings is less than the average high school player on scoring the bucket from the right when near the basket. The average highschooler of course knows to shoot with the right hand from the right. Jennings, again, in my opinion, should be put on sabatical, and told to forget playing NBA ball until he works out a way to score a simple right handed layup from the right. You know, if he had made that one shot, we just might be talking about a win instead of a loss.

PS, for those who do not watch all the games, Jennings has not only made zero right handed layups from the right - he has not shot a right handed layup from the right. He has shot a lot of left handed layups from the right - but they very seldom go in.
    hitafreethrow and lapiston like this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jennings can't even drive with his right hand, nor can you set a pick for him on the right side. If he comes of a pick on the right side he immediately tries to go back to his left side. Watching this kid play is frustrating. I had no idea there were so many flaws in his (as wel as Josh Smith) games. How a kid could be in the league for 5 years and not have improved or developed in any area of his game speaks volumes.
    Lee356 likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lopez is tough to box out. He tipped a bunch of balls that dre would usually secure. Nice job by mo in letting him play with 5 fouls.

If you're guarding aldridge, stay on him.

Btw, I can't remember the last time I saw a piston generate 30 points on pure post ups. That was a thing of beauty. With smith at sf, that should be there every night. Not sure what they found so attractive about this matchup above others. That was all star caliber Josh Smith.

Jennings was both brilliant and terrible in streaks.

Same with dre. If he doesn't immediately have a put back, it's awkward. We wasted several possessions with him forcing it.

The end game is always magnified, but not taking the last shot or close to it is the better mathematical route. 24 seconds on our final possession and stuck takes a jumper with about 10 left...? Only acceptable if we get a bunny.

Then on the next defensive possession, why not put in pope? That part of his game is so good that it allows him to start.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Lee356 likes this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We can nit pick all day but the bottom line is that this is an inexperienced team that needs to take its lumps. We went from a savvy core that made few mistakes to utter hopelessness. Now it looks like we're on track but the team needs to just work things out. There are a lot of promising things in this game and it wasn't horrible to watch.
    CB is the only guy on the entire roster who can direct this team but Mo is sticking with Jennings so he can learn. This is who we have and mo needs to make it work...part of that is keeping him in there so he can improve. CB is playing well because we are using him as back up point. KCP is getting minutes and he sometimes over-rotates but that will improve. But CB is getting to do what he does best vs. earlier in the season where he was a lame SG.

Mo has dome some good things with this team overall. OKC had to learn how to finish games. The Warriors stank. Portland fans can't believe that their team is actually good...teams need time to jell. We can't add parts to a horrible team and expect a contender - no matter how weak the conference is.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Oh man that is the Josh Smith that we gave a $54m contract to. If he plays at 80% of that every night, this team will look a lot better.

I'm getting a feeling that a lot of us are upset about this game. I'm not. Det just lost to a LEGIT contender who are playing out of their mind off the back of an off balance shot from a guy who shot about 30% for the night. Sure, there were a lot of problems (Jennings, imperfect rotations at the end) but there was also a lot of stuff that need to be loved - Smith playing hard inside, forcing bad shots, Dre being a boss.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Smith actually commented how this Pistons reminds to him "younger version of Atlanta hawks" - when he was playing there. Pieces were there but not experience and cohesivnesss and therefore 4th q collapses were common.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This was a tough loss that I'm not that upset with either. Like the Miami game, most everybody played well.

Why does Cheecks sit Drummond, his 1 shot blocker, on D at the end of games instead of Monroe? Was he worried Aldridge wouldn't be open enough?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I truly hate to agree with you. I was really hoping Cheeks could settle Jennings down and get him playing right. Not happening yet.
  14. LA Dre

Yep I am one of those nit pickers.....some games like last night I tie Mrs Dre to the chair and she watches the games with me.....she is more critical than me...if you can believe that.

One thing she said at halftime was why did that Pistons defense start heading for the locker room with about 5-6 seconds and let Lillard race down the court for a layup? Her next line was I bet those two easy points come back to haunt them in the end. She was right... To recap, the Pistons scored to stop a Blazer run and it appeared that we would go into the locker room with a 3 pt lead, but the lack of defense in those last 5 seconds or so resulted in a 1 pt lead.

As is at the end of the game, every point, FT and defensive lapse counts in the scheme of things at the beginning and middle of the game, whether it is six straight FT's by Dre or three straight turnovers by Jennings.
    Lee356 likes this.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm so pissed right now, I don't want to watch this team play for the next week. There was no reason for us to choke up a double digit lead, AT HOME, in the 2nd half. ...and ONCE AGAIN, Cheeks sits Drummond late in the game while we fail to defend ANYONE. It's like he's trying to intentionally prove how much it sucks to choke away games. ...and we spend ANOTHER game going AWAY from the hot hand to force feed Stuckey. I can't....I don't...

I only ask this team to win TWO GAMES. TWO GAMES, ALL SEASON. I don't care if they're 2-80. Just beat Portland. Double digit leads in both games...but, nooooooooo.....
    Lee356 likes this.
  16. LA Dre

Now you know how I felt when the Pistons loss two games to the Kobe-less Lakers......:gaah:

Six of our 14 losses have come via the Lakers, Trail Blazers and Hawks...and we could have been at least 3-3 in those six games.
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I feel like Drummond tipped at least 2 balls into the basket for Portland while fighting for rebounds.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps that is why Cheecks took Drummond out...he was throwing the game for Vegas hitmen....
  19. BillLaimbeer

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We made the same mistake to end the first half and OT. We had a last possession and we elected to score too soon.