1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Portland Trailblazers Sunday, December 15, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Portland Trailblazers

Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

ThIs is gonna be a tough one. Bad weather here inMichigan so the normal sparse Piston crowd should be even sparser. Portland has a team that exposes ALL of our weaknesses, they play big too and so we dont have an advantage in that department. They have a really good SF in Batum that is going to get wide open looks from Josh, they have a really good PG that can give Jennings the business, not that a PG needs to be good to do that....bad PGs give Jenings the Business. All that said.....we can beat them. Can't let them get hot from beyond the arc early. I'm dreading watching Jennings and Monroe trying to guard Lillard and Aldridge in the pick and roll

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Will Aldridge get his first taste of MVP-chants tonight? He's probably been the best big in the L so far this season.

Pistons by 12.

4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought Dre played the pick n roll pretty well last game, maybe for defensive reasons put Dre on Aldridge and let Moose handle the offensively inept Robin Lopez.

Pistons by 1.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe would have to box out if they put him on Lopez and he doesn't like to do that.

That's why he gets to close out the games.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

6. hitafreethrow

7. hitafreethrow

Siva and Mitchell inactive...

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

So our big point guard is inactive?

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like we threw in the towel before the tip-off.

linwood likes this.
  10. roscoe36

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

These guys are 20-4. That's what I call a hot start. I wonder what that is like.
    Pistons at home can win this one. Pistons 99 - Portland 98

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

29-22 Blazers at the end of 1. Blazers take a time out after the Pistons go up 18-14. They come back with a 10-0 run and and finish the quarter on a 15-4 run vs Stuckey Singler, Smith, Moose and Brandon.

13. LA Dre

Pistons lead 51-50 at the half. J Smoove is leading the way with 19 points on 8-10 shooting. All of the points in the paint or at the FT line and only one 3 pt try so lets hope he stays in that mindset in the second half.

Billups came in the second qtr, settled things down and the Pistons put together a 20-2 run to go ahead by 8. Billups sat after 8 mins with 4 pts, 4 assists and 2 brds with the Pistons holding on to a 6 point lead. He and Josh looked good out there on the court together.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Lee356 and basketbills like this.
  14. LA Dre

heart break loss....and now Piston fans know how the Wolverine fans felt yesterday.
    13 point lead in the third quarter and the Blazers trim it down to a 99-99 regulation tie and win it in OT on a driving stop and turnaround fadeaway jumper with 0.1 second left on the clock by Lillard. Some will ask why Stuckey took the tying shot with 13 seconds left??? In fact Stuckey had already missed a possible game winning shot in regulation.....

I am thinking in a Lee perspective, but I wonder why twice that Singler didn't come help out in the last two drives by Lillard? It makes no difference now, but why didn't Mo swap out Billups for KCP, instead of Singler and put him on Lillard??

Just those little things from Lillard taking the ball from Jennings, to Pistons not boxing out and grabbing the missed FT by Lillard and then the long three ball airball that Singler fell asleep on and didn't get in position for the loose ball and the Blazers retained the ball. The good teams win these battles and the OK teams go home sad.

Great game by Smoove.....but all for naught....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    del, brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons had this game won. Jennings multiple plays gave Portland the momentum back. Jennings just gave the ball away at about the 7 minute mark. He came back and missed a shot (I will give him that he wanted to overcome the miscue--I like that fire). He then missed a lay up from the right side. He always tries to shoot with the left hand from the right side. A bit later another miss as Portland left him open. He did make a short runner during that stretch.

Lilliard, a 90 per cent free thrower went right by him late in the 4th quarter time and again and got fouled. I believe they ran Lilliard twice in the last two minutes and again in overtime. Sure Lilliard hit a shot over Stuckey at the end but that was well guarded and there should have been no overtime. Stuckey was put on him because the coach had to see what was happening with Jennings guarding him.

Other factors: of course, the Pistons have no out of bounds play. That is on the coach. He had Singler in with a few seconds left in regulation (Why?) and he fouled on the rebound. The Pistons went into Monroe against Aldridge who already showed he could handle Monroe. Why? Meanwhile, Portland went to Lilliard to drive by Jennings.

Yes, Jennings hit a key three in overtime after the ball was going nowhere on the offense. That is what he can do. He is a scorer who is just beginning to learn the point guard position. Can he learn to penetrate and play defense and learn it soon enough?

At one point late, the Pistons could not get the ball within 30 feet of the basket. It happened the other night against Brooklyn. It happens too much.

And why a play for a two with Stuckey at the end? I know. No three ballers on the team. The Pistons can't go for the knock out...

Jennings is only 23 and has not had the coaching apparently. But this team is looking for direction from its guards and its coach.

But: The Pistons have now lost 3-4 games in the 4th quarter as pure giveaways. There are multiple reasons of course. But the biggest need of this team is better point guard play. This team could move up a full level with point guard play that most teams have in the NBA and even with its lack of three point shooting.

del, George_athens, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  16. LA Dre

:
    lapiston, I concur....that is why you let put Billups in there to run that point in the last 3 minutes. As soon as the missed jumper by Jennings fail flat, I knew he was going to try to win this himself even when we were still up 7 then in regulation. Too much dribbling and all of it outside the arc.

16 mins for Billups tonight, so tomorrow he probably sits. After he set us up for the nice second qtr run, he would have been back in there if me or Daly (R.I P) had been coaching.

Lee356 likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will get the bad out of the way first. Again, the coach had, as his first and foremost thought, how he could let Singler play NBA basketball. Singler did a lot of damage in the first half against us, losing the ball a lot, and giving up points on defense readily. But he was only in for a few moments since he picked up his 2nd foul. Now, really, a bench player does not need to come out with 2 quick fouls, but coach probably could see how silly Singler looked out there. Note, it was an even game when Singler was called to come in. Very shortly after Singler came in, we were down 10, and yes, it was pretty much all Singler playing poorly. And note, the moment he came off the floor, we caught up quickly, and actually took a lead, we put on an 18 - 2 run. Late in the game, at least we did not see the coach be so silly as to put in Singler for the OT. But Singler was put in 2 last 2nd defensive plays, where, of course, he played no defense. Both times, the play came inside and Singler opted out of the play. (While staying at his usual post, half way between an outside shooter and the basket. Basically doing nothing. The 2nd time, the game winning shot, Singler lost track of the time. He should have addressed the shooter since the clock was about to run out and there was no time for a pass. Instead, Singler followed the guy who came from the corner toward the middle - where of course anyone else could have picked up the guy anyway if it was needed. (which again, it was not since there was no time for a pass.) Why a coach would bring on his weakest defensive player for a defensive play is way beyond my imagination. I just say its some kind of obsession coach has with the guy. PS, Mitchell is available. Also, on that note, when Singler got the fouls, we used Stuckey / Pope as our wings. Again, Mitchell is available.

A bit more bad. Jennings made a few mistakes, all at the end of the game. But he had 10 assists before he had any turns, and had a double double. Not bad. We sure did not need his late turn nor his ill advised shots late.

Smith did virtually nothing wrong in this one. 31 points on just 3 misses? Wow. 30 /21 for Monroe and Drums combined. Stuckey made a couple of real clutch shots late (one in reg, the other in OT) among his 17 off the bench.

Harrellson did play a bit in the first half, but he got pulled because our bench was doing poorly, even though it was all Singler's fault. No time for him in the 2nd half. I did note that coach delayed his obsession of playing Singler by a few minutes. But his obsession had us see only 3 bench guys get any minutes in the 2nd half, Stuckey, who rocked in this game, and Singler, who managed to continually give up any points Stuckey scored plus a lot more. Plus Billups, who was plus 16 in this game. Good job running the point. If not for reaching a minutes limit there in the 4th, he could have just stayed out there. I doubt he is in any kind of shape to play much more than he did tonight.

Pope hit a triple. Plus 14 in the game. Was not used much in the 2nd half.

Jennings missed a triple double by 2 rebounds, and he held Lillard in check great until the very end of the game at least.

Most of Smith's damage early was from the left. He was making shots from inside all around the basket by the end of the game. He also had some nice feeds.

Well, lots of great stuff from lots of players, but an obsession by the coach cost us the game. Would have been a great win against a very hot, capable team. We should have won it. Coach is not fully using his roster as long as he sits Mitchell, and limits how much Harrellson plays by his silly insistance of playing Singler to mess up our bench.

LA Dre likes this.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Tonight we saw the Smith that we need to see if the Pistons want to have any prayer of doing anything but token-contending in the worst conference in the history of professional sports. He almost single-handedly took a very good Portland team to overtime by doing what he hasn't been doing all season long: shooting the ball efficiently and battling inside.

All that being said, this Pistons team seems to me to be one that other teams kind of dog it against. This isn't the first time this year that they've lost a comfortable 4th Q lead against a good team, and I doubt it will be the last. Other teams are looking at their record and thinking "easy W"... while it's a good thing that they're not, if the Pistons were a good team they would squash teams that underestimated them. It's an old and overused sports cliche that team X "wanted it more," but tonight, in the fourth and in OT, I felt like Portland was working harder than Detroit, and - yes - wanted it more.

Big game tomorrow against Indiana.

Lee356 likes this.
  19. roscoe36

3 more points and we would have beat one of the best teams in the NBA this season.

I will take this loss. We're showing we can be competitive (if not victorious) against the better teams in the NBA. Last year, this would have been a 20 pt blowout in the 3rd.

basketbills and linwood like this.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

this team is 11-14, 11-15 after indiana game. By january - looking at the schedule - .500 is possible but this team still plays "as underachiever". PO are important, do not want to give away good 1st round draft pick from Ben Gordon trade.