Home Portland Trailblazers Saturday Jan 21 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2012.
  1. Detroit

75.0%
  2. Portland

25.0%
  1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Portland was tired but this Piston team is improving little by little. Agree with Lee that Knight should have been starting from the get go. Knight and Monroe are the future of this team and I would like to throw in JJ if he gets some coaching. He has the ability to drive--unusual for a big--only to throw up some wild, underhanded shot or make an ill-advised pass in traffic near the hoop. Coaching.

No, don't worry, this Piston team will not win its way out of a top pick. Russell (and no Gordon) helped to stabilized the ball handling this game. But most teams in the league can ramp up pressure any time to take the ball away from the Pistons. Knight will take a season at least to become steady in this department. I have given up on G0rdon. He needs a team where he does not handle the ball and who can spring him for the jumper. His role on any team would be limited.

Stuckey had a good game--or did he? I was watching to see what he would do in crunch time. He hit a short jumper with around 4=5 minutes left. Good. In the last two minutes, he lost the ball and drove into a crowd as he is known to do and get nothing. Free throws. Yes, but Portland was desperate to foul. Stuckey did not get to the line of his own doing. If he is not going to be a go to guy in crunch time, what is his value going to be going forward in a year or two? A passer? Not his strength. Defense? He is overrated in this department. I would say as the head of the second unit but not a key guy in the future make-up of the team. Joe said look at the overall big picture...in his interview. Stuckey is young--as Joe said--and he may still make it. But if Knight is only playing at his level in 4 years and not beyond, it would be disappointing.

I have watched Maxiel in the last 3 games get balls near the hoop where almost any NBA forward would slam in and he gets the ball taken away. Does he make contributions from time to time. Of course, he is an NBA player. But where would he rank in the league? Pretty far down, I would imagine.

Wilkins just does not have enough NBA level offense. I would only use him in a short defensive stint.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Stat of the day: Detroit is now 1-0 in games decided by six points or less.

I really felt like last night was a lot of luck; the three-point-line might as well have been in Pontiac for how well they were shooting from beyond it (3-20). I coached a high school game a couple years ago where we shot 11% (total) and lost by 20. I really felt then - like Portland must feel right now - that if the shots were falling just a little bit better the game would have ended up differently. But them's the bounces, I guess.

Anyway, don't worry, Detroit still sucks; this little setback won't keep them from getting a top-5 pick.
    raxrets and linwood like this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I love this post.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This win just brought us within 3 games of the Eastern playoffs.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice game (finally finished watching it last night). Stuckey really does make a difference. Is Russell the end of Will?

Now if they can just work on that play where they give Ben the ball at the top of the key and everyone else either runs from him or hides behind an opponent. I can see how the coaches would have thought that would work, but sometimes experience is the best teacher.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

After watching Maxiel for over 6 years now, one thing is obvious. It doesn't matter if he is paired up with Jerebko, Wallace, Monroe, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, or Michael Jordan. He is simply not good enough to be a contributor on a championship team. He cannot score, rebound, or play defense. He provides energy and he hustles, but so does Hooper. It's not about matchups or combinations. It's about talent. Maxiel doesn't have enough.
    Mogilny and round like this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Maxiel has never shot Mr Cheever with a T-Shirt gun, spilling chardonnay on his sport coat & trousers.
    Hooper is a talentless hack.
    Slippy likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I gotta agree here....Hooper has the least amount of talent.................
    ........unless Stuckey decides to run over Mr. Cheever while heading to the lockers at halftime.
    linwood likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You guys obviously never saw Hooper back in his hay day.