Home Portland Trailblazers Saturday Jan 21 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2012.
  1. Detroit

75.0%
  2. Portland

25.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Landslide for the Pistons in the early going.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Portland slides into Auburn Hills soon. They have a winning record, but have lost 4 of the last 5.
    Teams like that are gonna circle the Piston's game on their calender, and take out their frustrations.

Portland by 17....................
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Portland wins by 8*.

* Not points, the number of times Tay just gets out of the way of a charging Gerald Wallace.
  5. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Any word why Gordon is out, just resting him on a back to back or what?
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Deeeeetroit Basketball!!!! We interrupt our season long tank-fest for some effort and grit.

This time we lapsed into some unfocused play but for the most part it was toughness and hustle on both ends. K and Blaha remarked that when Walker is on the floor we have better ball movement. This was really apparent.

We need to develop better off the ball movement. What works against us is guys curling over the high post into the lane...and its something we never do. We have guys who can make that pass and we have guys who can finish but instead we throw a way more risky pass that forces the receiver to make a difficult play. Hopefully thats a factor of the new coach + shortened camp.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Great game. The Pistons were finally able to pull one out, and they won with defense. It's been a while.

Stuckey was good. He's really very good at drawing fouls and getting the other team in trouble. He was shooting well tonight as well. Playing two guard allowed him to just attack, something he does very well. This is the role I like for him. He did get a little ball hoggy at certain points, but Frank pulled him every time, and now we have a veteran PG who you can trust to run the show for you off the bench which really helped the team calm down and execute better. Stuck still has a tendency to overdribble and hold the ball too long however. There was one possession late in the fourth when the game was on the line where he walked the ball up the floor and just held the ball for 20 seconds before driving to the rim and having nowhere to go which resulted in a turnover. I knew he would take it himself, and clearly the Blazers did too. There were people wide open at the top of the key, and George and Greg even expected that there would be a kickout, but with Rodney, that was never going to happen. He needs to really keep that to a minimum. You could tell he really wanted to be the man right there. Great job nailing the fts to seal the win though.

Brandon played well. A little bit more of a low key game for him, but with Stuck next to him in the backcourt he was able to pick his spots a little more. He will push the tempo for you more often than not, and the team actually had a lot of success with that tonight. I think ultimately that's what this team needs - push the tempo and be aggressive on offense. Don't fall in love with the isotayshauns. Brandon's defense was quite good as well. He did get stripped on a trap late, but what I liked was the fact that he shook it off, got back on defense and helped get a stop on the next possession. I like his energy, and he's got a nose for the ball. He's going to continue to get better. And more importantly, only one turnover.

Greg was quiet on offense. He surprisingly had double digits in scoring, but they really weren't going to him. This was a guard dominated game. But the key thing for him is even though he wasn't getting plays called for him, he still played hard. When they finally did go to him in the fourth he was out of rhythm and was perhaps forcing it a bit however. He turned it over 4 times. I liked seeing him get on Stuck for holding the ball too long and ending up with a shot clock violation (second time in a row; Stuck bailed himself out with a lucky 3 that went in the previous time). I also loved seeing his reaction after the game ended with a win - here's a 6'11 big man jumping up and down by the bench like a five year old getting a present on Christmas, the biggest smile on his face. Classic. And he was a big reason why they got this win, with all those tip ins and more importantly, he played good defense and rebounded the basketball really well down the stretch. My favorite play was when LaMarcus Aldridge had the ball on offense late, Greg didn't give an inch, and eventually Brandon came over to help and they forced Aldridge to cough it up. Big time play from those two.

Walker Russell Jr. This guy is everything that Will Bynum is not. He's unselfish, and will not force what isn't there. When the scoring droughts and offensive stagnation came, he helped get the ball moving again. I like him. I hope Joe keeps him, despite the overabundance of guards; he plays hard, isn't a black hole, and plays decent defense. I think more than any other guard on this team, he'd be the best mentor for Brandon.

JJ played better. He does need to cut down on the fouls, but he and WDR were key in that run in the second quarter. When Jonas is hitting his shots, the offense opens up more and it all flows better.

Tayshaun was vintage. He was forcing it a bit early, but once he calmed down he hit some big shots down the stretch. Loved his block on Aldridge at the end.

Max was very good. Played with all the energy and hustle we needed. He got some big time rebounds and tip ins throughout the game. He's still not a good option on offense, but his hustle and rebounding (surprisingly) really helped. The Blazers couldn't really keep him off the glass at the end.

Lawrence Frank made a good decision at the end as well. "If he makes both, foul." He said this to Brandon Knight who did commit the foul at halfcourt. I know the Blazers' three-point shooting was off, but I thought it was the right call.

Very happy to see the Pistons get a win, and more importantly a win that depended a lot on how the team played on defense. Whatever it was the team took from last night's near-comeback and subsequent loss, it must've been pretty good. This team has a long way to go, but this is the way they need to play.
    max, Walter, basketbills and 3 others like this.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't know they were playing tonight until I was channel surfing thru the LP channels. To my shock, the Pistons were up 81-78 with less than six minutes left in the game and I told Ms. Dre...umm, we are leading, but this is where the Pistons normally let a game get away from them.

But...they managed to play some good D down the stretch with only one TO and pulled out the victory. Hurrah!!...I recall Barkley or some fool saying just 10 days ago that the Blazers were the second best team in the west (behind the Thunder). Blaha said that Stuckey scored 27 pts, but he still seem a bit out of control during the last 20 seconds throwing up some wild shot that went way above the hoop. Thanks goodness in old Chauncey style he was able to hit those last 4 freebies to keep the Blazers at bay and secure the victory.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the recap Alexa...good job of filling us in. Maybe Russell should be brought up permanently and given a regular spot in the rotation.
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

No problem, happy to do it. And I agree.

As for BG, sore shoulder. He'd been clutching at that thing during games for a while.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rodney!
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why did we win this one? Luck. For one, coach got lucky when JJ got that cut. Cause we would have lost for sure if had been allowed to pair up JJ and Monroe in the 4th quarter. Those two together as our bigs equals layup drill, and coach won't recognize that for massive blindness from stubbornness. To his credit though, not really, he did pull JJ when JJ got that 2nd foul in the first half. On the 2nd of two absolutely uncontested layups that would have been a hundred if JJ was not pulled. The sad thing is, the coach pulled JJ for having two fouls - but oblivious to the fact that JJ and Monroe mean automatic layup drill for the other team.

Now we got a sizable lead there. Which all but disappeared, down to 2 points, cause coach still has not figured out that he needs to pull Ben Wallace after 6 minutes of play. We get nothing whatsoever out of Ben Wallace anytime he goes past the 6 minute mark. He is 40. Stop it already. Go per your plan - 6 minutes at a time only. Yes, if you stick to your plan - Ben can go another 6 minutes later each half. Just quit tuckering him out.

I did not hear why Ben Gordon was not available tonight. But for ever what reason, its pure luck. Our guard play was pretty outstanding, no amateur hour where we get to see Ben Gordon pass the ball to the other team or go one on one at totally inappropriate times. (Yes, I will admit, sometimes coach puts units out there that can't score unless Gordon does some one on one stuff.) Now if only Joe Dumars can find someway to release the guy we can have this kind of luck the rest of the season.

Tay looks a lot better on a team that has units that work. None of Ben Wallace and Jason paired up. Almost none of JJ and Monroe paired up. Two things that I could have told this new coach day one were stupid moves. While I am glad he seems to be pulling away from such non-sense, I don't trust him not to go back to such things at this point. Like right now, he is probably dreaming about JJ and Monroe as I write this, dreaming that we are beating another team with them paired together. Hope he can separate his dreams from reality. It don't work.

And we could be a lot better still with Daye in the rotation - not Wilkins. Anyone notice what a force on offense the guy has been? Yeah, he does not shoot the ball. Can't see Daye not playing for some early season shooting slump (after extra months of layoff), while Wilkins gets a free pass aby not being expected to shoot the ball.

Stuckey's play is great. Anyone who concentrates on his shooting percentage - while not adding a 1 - 1 for every two free throws made should certainly start doing it.

Knight is starting now. Something we lucked into due to an injury to Stuckey. Knight should have been starting from day one. He is learning fast. If that outside shot gets a bit steadier to go with his ability to drive in, watch out. So far our new guard don't look so bad either. Russel can at least handle the ball well enough, and score inside. Not seen much on his shooting to say much yet. Can't see any negatives yet either about his D. From what I can see so far, even if he can't shoot, he seems to be a serious upgrade to Gordon. However, you got to let the league get a book on Russel, see if they can't pick apart any weaknesses, before we get too excited.

Maxiell is strong, and wide. The bigs he guards simply are not allowed to go where they would like to go. And that is a very good thing indeed.

If coach simply can't remember to take Ben Wallace out at the 6 minute mark - and yes, I understand an insecure coach can want so badly to use Ben Wallace as some sort of a security blanket - start Jason instead. Yes, I would rather see Ben Wallace start instead - but not if the coach is going to wear Ben Wallace out at the start of each half.

For the first time this season, I am going to suggest a 10 man rotation. At least a rare thing.

Start Knight, Stuckey, JJ, JMAX, Monroe.

Bench: Russel, Daye, Tay, Ben Wallace, Macklin
    max and roscoe36 like this.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I very sincerely hope - this win was a fluke. No need for wins atleast for a year or two.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like the Pistons will be picking 8th again.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The Alexacap was, once again, outstanding. I was thinking the same about Walker D....

He would be great to have on the team and he could get the minutes that were going to Bynum. I think he will get better as he gets to know where the other guys want the ball.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think this win is going to catapult the Pistons into the playoffs.

I like the job Frank has done vis a vis playing time and rotations.

Knight has a little Rajon Rondo-like ballhawk in him on D where he goes off script to help on D when guys aren't looking.

Stuckey had something to play for last night, himself. He looks like he wants to hear his name announced.
  19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

It's interesting that you mention Rondo. When one of my friends asked me to compare Knight to a current NBA player, I said, "Rajon Rondo, with a jump shot.". Knight's going to be a good player for us.

Good game last night. The ball movement was great. Still, that Portland team was beaten more by the long road trip than the Pistons.
  20. max

max All-Star

Nice game summaries. On Bynum, He was kind of out of the rotation before his injury so coach obviously is open to something new -esp when you are 4-14. I like Russel so far. He does what a backup point is supposed to do and is not trying to take over the game all the time.

Nice to think that this game could be the turning point but the top 2 popularly projected teams to meet each other in the Finals are coming into town in OKC and Miami. The after that games with 2 really good teams. Even if the team has rounded a corner we still could be facing 4 straight losses.