Away Portland Trailblazers Monday, November 11, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Another red flag I see, Jennings, Smith and Monroe leave A LOT of points on the floor because at times they don't finish well. To finish games we gotta finish shots.
  2. admin

admin Second Round Draft Pick Administrator

I don't think it's the case of the coaching staff wanting to lose games, or hating players, or whatever.

I mean, we've been watching this thing play out like this for 5 seasons.

Pope will get more minutes as the season progresses. The Pistons did a great job with Drummond last year, and this year, he has several times played 40+ minutes.

Yes, Singler is terrible, and JJ is terrible and Datome may be terrible and Chauncey is half the player he once was. This team was gutted and remade over the last year. On a given night, we have 4 new starters.

I thought after the rough start, we came back and played the Blazers pretty even.
    linwood likes this.
  3. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I hear you admin about Pope, and can see the correlation with Drummond, but this team lacks exactly what Pope was drafted to do. If Steve Adams can get burn with OKC then I have no problem getting Pope 10 minutes early then more as the season progresses. Especially since he earned time on preseason and then continued to earn time when he played during the first game. Games we won I might add.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

That said, I am still optimistic about the season and don;t want to get too bogged down in the negatives yet.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the problem of being 2-4 could be eliminated if 1 of the 3 front court guys got back on D instead of trying to pad their stats with offensive rebounds.
  6. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It has already become too repetitive that I don't want to keep extolling the same things, so here is shortened version of most of it.
    Grrrr.. Bynum sucks. Play Pope. Grrr. Put shooters on with Stuckey. Grrr bloody grrr.

Also, the immensely frustrating lack of running back on D has not stopped this season. That first quarter was awful.

At least for the majority of this game I think we had 2 of the big 3 at 2 forward spots - except for the flash of nightmares past*

Hopefully these losses force Mo's hand on the backcourt rotations. DON'T BE A STUBBORN OLD MAN MO - FREE KCP-EEEE!

*BoT in a Pistons uniform
    Lee356 likes this.
  7. admin

admin Second Round Draft Pick Administrator

Admin = roscoe posting when he is logged into the backend. lol
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When your guards miss shots in the paint, you're going to give us fast break points.

Bynum is the only one converting with regularity in the paint (75% shooting). Jennings and Stuckey are .538 and .583 and they take about a third of their combined attempts in the paint. When one of them misses a "layup", there is basically 1 guy back if we are lucky and that's usually Billups, Bynum, Jennings, or Stuckey trying to stop a fast break. Our bigs do their part by rebounding an incredibly high percentage of the misses. We are effectively tied with Toronto in the O reb average.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We did play them even after a poor start. But we did not play them even when coach decided to put Singler and CV in together in the 2nd half. We did not use CV in the first half, and there was no reason to play him in the 2nd half, save some possible order by Dumars to get him in the mix. It was ugly. And not needed. Also very ugly to watch, Singler failing to have any effect at all as part of our front line. Note, making excuses for what the new coach did will in no way make him change for the next game. (Nor will praising him to no end I suspect). All any of can do is, even if its the same thing over and over, just keep telling what we see. The observations of others is why I come to this site. I love to read other people's opinion about what they saw when watching a Pistons game. Even if they see the same thing every game.
    kpaav likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good observation. With Singler spelling all of our front line all by himself, it meant that we had precious little time with our starting front line all together. And we both know of course why Singler did nothing. He is incapable. A problem the coach simply chooses to ignore. Last I heard, coach said he would find some place for Singler to play, because Single is a basketball player. Hmm, yes, he did play basketball for us last year. Some success at shooting guard. No success at all as small forward. Why does each coach feel they have to reinvent the wheel?
    Slippy likes this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I really like Singler but he's more effective away from the basket. He's not going to erase anyone's defensive mistake and he's not going to out muscle a 4 for a rebound. As much as I like the big 3 frontline, they kinda have to be broken up so the majority of the game is manned by any two.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We only had 5 minutes without coverage last night (without 2 out of the big 3 on the court) where we tried to spread the floor. We were -4 during the stretch with Portland getting 2 threes and 2 power dunks.

Here were our possessions:

1) turnover
    2) fouled
    3) missed 3-pointer (on quarter ending full court heave)
    4) missed jump shot
    5) turnover
    6) missed 3-pointer
    7) missed jump shot
    8) missed jump shot- Drummond put back slam
    9) Bynum layup
    10) CV layup
    11) missed 3-pointer

So, all were points in the paint. Small sample.

Overall, I though Portland made an unusually high percentage of their shots last night relative to the defense that we were playing.

POR: eFG = .579 (11-23 from deep)
    DET: eFG = .487 (3-14 from deep)

Both teams made the same number of field goals and we made two more free throws, but the difference was the shot mix and POR's conversion of 3-pointers.

And Mo nailed it in the postgame!
    Even though he's blaming the loss on shooting, which is a pet peeve of mine regarding coaches, at least he's in tune with reality.

+1 for Moe.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Being "logged into the back end" sounds painful.
    ...whatever floats your boat dude.:yo:
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Another powerhouse!

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are in that category with valanciunas, amir, and hansbrough. Rebounding is the only thing that they do exceptionally well.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

That admin guy stole rascoe's avatar...
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.