1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Portland Trail Blazers Saturday Mar 16 2013

Discussion in 'March 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not really surprised at these losses. We are running an 8 man rotation that consists of one legitimate NBA starter, 1 legitimate backup PG, two second-tier combo guards who can't shoot, two rookies who were second rounders, and two third string big(ish) men. 9 players if you include the bucket of turd. We have no business even competing in these games. Let's call a spade a spade.

This whole run made one thing stunningly clear. The core is Knight-Moose-Drummond, and if we can get him to resign Calderon off the bench. Everybody else is (or plays like) either garbage we need to unload or practice fodder in this league.

alexa032, linwood and Laimbrane like this.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I had a gritty experience watching this game. I gutted it out and watched the entire game.

I guess Rodney gets the game ball for constantly crashing his way to the hoop even after the headbutt gash.

Will Bynum, who we learned had been suffering with an injured hand for quite some time, gave us a good effort.

Maxiell had some good moments early in the game and defended Aldridge as best he could.

Monroe and Calderon had decent games.

Singler was terrible...what other team would start him?

Charlie was sleepwalking.

JJ hustled and didn't hurt us much.

It's going to take some masterful free agent signings and and a wise draft to make this team good next year.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

5 years gone without a meaningful game...........5 years to go.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons best bet defensively might be to play both JJ and Charlie G together because it might cause the other team to hesitate while they decide who to attack.

5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

How is it that Bynum and Stuckey combine for 55 points on 22-37 shooting, yet combine for the two lowest +/-'s on the team (-10, -12, respectively). And yet, Singler, who basically produces nothing, also plays 40 minutes and is only -4?

Another crazy thing: Detroit Pistons NBA stats and data from 82games.com

Singler is second on the team (Middleton is 1st) in on/off court team net production, but third-to-last (ahead of Max and Jerebko) in personal production?

There's a lurking variable here I can't identify. At first I thought that maybe Singler and Stuckey rarely play together, but they've logged 662 minutes together.

So I sorted by this: NBA Stats (Piston pairs sorted by +/-, highest negative value first)

Dear sweet Jeebus... look at who occupies the top 5 spots? But there's Kyle Singler sitting there in second place! (Note: don't sort in the other direction because Austin Daye was our best +/- player).

I'm all confused.

I'm pretty sure that Stuckey is running this team into the ground, though.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Via negativa.

7. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

Probably the most demoralizing thing i've read yet

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

u guys still watch Piston games???:gaah:

9. Nemo

Don't watch em...as Montana TV does not follow them.
    Would not pay to watch them on the tube. not yet........
    I read all the recaps here though........:puke:

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I get FSD on my ATT U verse so they show Piston Post Game shows...I CANT EVEN WATCH THAT!!! Why do they call Cleaves- MA-teen????:hanged2:

11. Nemo

I got nuthin...kinda like the Pistons. Better than calling him Ahmad......

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I had this one DVR'd and tried to slog through it today. Made it to halftime and then decided not to waste another hour of my life on the 2nd half. Gotta be honest... this team is really boring to watch right now with Drummond and Knight out of commission. I used to get a thrill out of the bench squad with Bynum/ ____/ Daye/ Villa/ Drummond, but now the bench is boring too. Middleton provides mild curiosity factor, but he's not really showing much break out potential. Kravtsov was interesting for about 3 games, but his slow hands are brutal on rebounding.

When was the last time Brian Hill won an NBA game as a head coach?

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He's a shooter who consistently hits it when he's open. So he spreads the floor. Moose, Maxiell, Stuckey, Bynum, JJ all rely on the defense not packing the lane. When you add a shooter to keep the defenses honest, the chances of other players to make plays increases which is reflected in the on/off stats. You replace Singler with any shooter who is worth a lick and that guy will ultimately become the on/off leader on the team.

The Panda likes this.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Oh, it's been a long while. Where have you been man ?

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Because +/- is and always has been worthless.

Singler shoots 2 for 10 and is basically useless on defense. Yet he's shown via +/- to be less of a problem than (as much as I hate him) Stuckey, who scored a ton of points (although, that never leads to wins) and Bynum (who was more or less unstoppable by Portland)....OR even Jason Maxiell who, shows up as a +10 (What the hell???) and was SO ABOMINABLE on defense against Aldridge that he might as well have just asked Aldridge for the ball and put it in the basket for him.

I was at this game and I'm over worrying about anything to do with this team winning or getting better until they decide to get serious and stop benching productive players and keeping Air Consumption Units like Maxiell and Stuckey on the floor. Stuckey managed to cement his legacy as Ram Man by crashing his face open, becoming even MORE useless on offense (than he is most games), and STILL manages to stay in the game long enough to give up a huge 3 late by (what else?) SAGGING INTO THE PAINT AND LEAVING THE 3 POINT SHOOTER. Maxiell gives up 1000 pts...stays in the game....Stuckey clearly CANNOT SEE and (you guessed it!) stays in the game. Bynum...gets into the paint, scores at will....sits the entire 3rd while the starters hand the game over to Portland in roughly 63 seconds.

I hope they finish the season healthy and go into the off season with SOME idea of how to fix this mess, but the rest of this season is pointless. Luckily I'm not being paid to show up for the rest of it.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  16. Pwn Toney

Just popped into my head....Kyle Singler played 40 mins. :confused::gaah::shocked::smash:

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

April 18, 2007.....the last game of the season vs the Heat.

His Magic team was then swept by the Pistons in the first round.....yep the same year the Pistons participated in the King James coronation via the "six" game sweep in the ECF

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you wear your Piston garb proudly or were you undercover trying to avoid embarrasment:spy:

19. Pwn Toney

No no...I took on the full brunt of that pain. Most people were pretty cool as Portlanders aren't generally very aggressive. There was a guy with a Laimbeer jersey two rows in front of me, but we were the only ones in our section. The staff was really nice and gave me a free chalupa ticket (that they reserved for when the Blazers score 100) as soon as I walked in the door. The only thing that sucked about that experience was the Pistons performance. lol

linwood and LA Dre like this.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They already knew.

BillLaimbeer, LA Dre and The Low like this.