Home Portland Trail Blazers Monday Nov 26 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Singler knows how to play basketball.

I like CV in with Drummond to provide some offensive balance.

Drummond has a long way to go on offense but the goal should be to have him be the starting center by next year if not sooner. He has lateral movement that is Ben-like which separates him from someone like Jelani McCoy. Let's put it this way, if Drummond pans out defensively, the Pistons will be back...

It seems like Knight is most effective when he is actually taking on the role of a shooting guard. When he shoots a lot, he seems to find his groove. I am not sold on the point guard experiment yet with him.

I noticed Bynum and JJ have had their minutes cut. I am not a big Magette fan from his Clipper days but will root for the guy. I know, he has that expiring contract.

I never know what to make of Stuckey positive or negative.

Monroe is getting better offensively. No, he is not an Aldridge yet, but he will be an offensive machine of his own eventually.
    brofmfa likes this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

14 whole minutes for Drummond tonight? If Drummond isn't starting then it is silly to take him out when he gets 2 quick fouls. Is Coach Frank afraid that he'll pick up a third foul before he decides not to play him in the 2nd half?

Didn't Portland play most of the game with Aldridge and either Lenny Myers or JJ Hickson on the court and aren't they all big guys?

Did Monroe and Drummond play together at all?

Charlie V got some nice burn though. Got to reward a guy who's been the worst player on the team his entire time here.

I think if Singler asked Coach Frank if he could play 2 positions at once during a game that Frank would let him and only send 3 other guys out there with him.

Bravo to the 200 or so fans in attendance tonight for booing when Drummond was taken out with his 2 fouls.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I like Drummond but I hope he just dunks the ball next time instead of doing soft layups. It's hard to forget he's only 19 though so I think he'll be just fine. Although, I wish Ben Wallace was there to mentor him. He would've been the perfect coach/mentor for Drummond.
    brofmfa likes this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups was a score first PG that had to force himself to focus on passing for the first 2-3 quarters of each game. Also, a good portion of his assists were simple passes to Rip, who would get off 15+ shots per game on most nights. It worked really well for those guys.

If Knight is a willing passer, but not a talented one, he can still be an effective PG when surrounded by guys like Singler and Monroe, who can pass the ball unusually well. Add Drummond to the mix and he'll pick up 1-2 assists per night on alley oops eventually.

I personally like the Billups model where the PG is a threat to score at all times and helps spread the floor for others. The PG in this model has to be a threat to shoot 3's and to drive. Both Knight and Billups are like that.

2004 Billups/ 2013 Knight (per 36)

3P%: .426/ .418
    Assists: 5.8/ 6.9
    Turns: 2.3/ 3.7

Jump shots: 79%/ 76%
    In the paint: 21%/ 24%
    Foul drawing: 12%/ 8%
    FTM per 48 min: 5.7/ 2.7
    (in these, 2005 Billups used b/c 82games '04 stats were broken)

Knight's eFG% this year is actually better than Billups' was overall. He's just not getting to the line as much, which is the primary difference in their scoring output. The turnovers are the other factor and Knight's biggest weakness... best way to improve. Billups in contrast was careful with the ball, played in a low risk offense with most passes to Rip, and has LB giving him the evil eye all game long. Their jump shot to drive ratio is similar, but Knight's is a little better in terms of mixing the two.

One could have easily made the argument that Billups was a shooting guard because of his range and unspectacular passing game. But they would have been wrong. Knight is a PG if he can find a way to reduce the turnovers over time.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This. I am no CV fan, and I consider myself a Jonas fan, but he hasn't played well, and if CV puts up a couple more performances like this, Jonas is going to be riding that pine like DMX in a street racer.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Looks like Lucy pulled the ball away right before I was about to kick it.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121126/SPORTS0102/211260448#ixzz2DQRHcJro

Charlie's main defensive strategy doesn't seem to be swinging his arm wildly at anything within of 10' of him anymore.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Brandon Knight was SPECTACULAR! It's funny, the kid didn't realize that he wasn't good enough to play the, "get my teammates going early" role, he also didn't realize that on THIS team it's moronic to, "get your teammates going", I mean just who and the heck are you trying to get "going"....Tayshaun Prince? Jason Maxiel? Rodney Stuckey? DUDE, just BALL! And ball he did! His ball handling and finishing skills are still deplorable, but last night the kid was aggressive, decisive and the ball was falling through the hoop. Respect!

Drummond still doesn't get it. I now see why they are taking the slow approach with this kid. Drummond looks like a kid who has NEVER been coached properly. He's so gifted but is simply clueless about how to utilize those gifts. He still has yet to realize how big, strong and athletic he is. DUNK THE DAMN BALL! Greg Monroe can't, Andre can, so.......DUNK THE DAMN BALL. If you could give Drummond Maxiel's baby eating tendencies we'd have a monster of a young center on this team.

Winning is bitter-sweet, because I really want to see Shabazz Muhammed or Otto Porter in a Pistons uniform next year.
    LA Dre and brofmfa like this.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Fun watching BK7 play with such confidence. Singler continues to impress and....Charlie, looking dead serious, comes in and hits some shots and makes a couple of really nice passes.

This could be like last year. Coach Larry might have found a lineup that could help the Pistons claw their way back to mediocrity.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice to see Stuckey get back on track - why does Bynum play again?

Way too early to tell either way, but Drummond took another step on the Amir Johnson potential road last night.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I totally hear you, but I'll just say this. For Amir, I remember last night's performance being the norm vs Drummond's aberration. Maybe that's revisionist history/confirmation bias, but I think Drummond's taken enough steps down the "greatness potential" road that he can take a few steps back without being in trouble.
    basketbills likes this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought Drummond just had a bad night. He's still the most physically gifted Piston and has shown some instincts.

All of these growing pains are EXACTLY why the Pistons are bringing him along slowly. The payoff with Drummond is 2 seasons from now, not this year.
    BillLaimbeer and LA Dre like this.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

2 yrs......how about March '13
    he aint slow !
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree, and I noticed right after I think the second time he tried to lay it in after an offensive rebound and missed he came back on defense and ended up fouling and if you watched you could see Maggette standing by him telling him " you gotta dunk that bleep" "dont try to lay that soft bleep up there" "If you are near that bleeping rim, you put that bleep down hard" and Andre was nodding his head in agreement, so hopefully he will be more agressive. I think hes still a little leary of his ft shooting and is trying to get the shots off wayyyy to quick very similar to Wallace(BEN). He'll be ok and any comparison to amir should result in loss of internet privledges for a week.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I like it when Drummond takes the ball from the free throw line and tries to get to the hoop for a layup.

His confidence is probably shaken after he carelessly committed a foul 30 seconds after checking in trying to block a shot when a Blazer guard had a layup. He's got to learn.

The Pistons treat the lane like it's a runway, just stand back and watch the planes go by.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation: First of all, I am going to leave the starting unit alone, because its working a pretty good % of the time since Singler became part of it. Further, who starts is not as important as who plays the minutes over the course of the game and at crunch time. Not saying that trying new stuff would be bad, just going to concentrate on adding to what works at the moment.

We got two new guys the coach is playing of late, Maggette and CV. Also, JJ seems out for the moment, and Bynum just got 5 minutes last game, so just maybe Stuckey is back to being our backup point.

Ok, so how do you play Stuckey with Knight, so both Stuckey and Knight get lots of minutes. We saw Maggs and CV combine to provide the outside shooting with Stuckey and Knight paired in the backcourt. Problem though, this leaves us too short at small forward. Maggs ain't cutting it their. So lets see:

JJ is dropped. CV has replaced him. Bynum is dropped, no replacement though. English is not playing, Maggette has taken those minutes. Hmm, we could add one player to the rotation, say English, to get back to a ten man rotation. But Middleton is taller, probably a better choice since he could play small forward. Darn good defender too. Suppose to have a good shot - have not seen it yet, hardly have seen him play.

Knight, Stuckey, Middleton, Maggs, Tay, Singler, JMAX, CV, Monroe, Drummond.

Start: Knight, Singler, Tay, JMAX, Monroe.

2nd unit: Stuckey, Maggs, Middleton, CV, Drummond.

Now Knight can come in for Maggs, leaving CV and Middleton for the outside shooters to keep the floor spread. But meanwhile, the 2nd unit has 3 outside shooters to watch, a fine offensive rebounder to clean up misses, a point guard who loves to drive in, and Middleton who is also capable of driving in well. And Maggette remember, is an ace at getting to the line. Not quite top 50 all time NBA yet, but approaching it in free throws made. Heck, and CV too knows how to operate around the basket. Could be interesting.

Defensively, not the greatest, as they can attack Maggs or CV - or lose Stuckey on a pick - but two very active defensive players with a lot of length, Middleton and Drummond, just might be enough to make the 2nd unit halfway respectable on defense.

And finally, Singleton is going to play a lot. So Middleton does not play much because Singleton is also getting considerable minutes at small forward. So you don't have to worry about Middleton, a darn rookie, getting overly depended on.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Is Singleton a hybrid/clone of Singler and Middleton and what are the rules about these kind of players?

It would seem to make sense to play the combination player of Singleton over the individual components, but that might draw attention from the league if it is illegal.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have a love/hate opinion toward this Drummonueva guy.
    His athletic ability and social networking skills are off the charts but he's fat and worthless on defense.
    The Panda likes this.
  18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

That was fun; Pistons got their payback in beatdown fashion. The huddle at midcourt was nice too.

Greg - solid as always. He kept getting stripped though; 4 TOs and all of them were live ball turns - potentially could've really hurt in a closer game.

Brandon - had a good game, especially to start with. He was again hampered by foul trouble though, and only played 24 minutes but managed to finish with 19 points and 6 assists. He also put in another solid effort on the defensive end, helping hold Dragic

Rodney played really well. He's thriving so far with the ball in his hands as both primary scorer and playmaker for the second unit, now better balanced by the outside shooting of BoT.

Max was Max. He was solid and held the fort well enough that we didn't get killed by the Phoenix bigs too much.

Kyle was solid, and again played the most minutes out of all the starters (31). He's proving himself very difficult to keep off the floor.

Andre was good. He was active on both ends, blocking and contesting shots on one end and dunking on the other. He still did some of his softy layups that he missed, but I'll take it so long as he continues to do what he does on the other end.

Corey was fine, didn't force his shots too much. He needs to stop fouling 3 point shooters though, seriously. This was the second time in 2 games for him.

BoT - not so much a BoT these last 3 games. He really helps that second unit with his outside shooting and surprisingly decent rebounding.

Daye - made a good case for staying at the end of the bench.

English - hit a nice 3 at the end. This guy has got some moves; didn't always work out though.

Bynum - looks like he's trying to earn back his rotation spot with 4 assists, not shooting even once. With Stuck playing backup point pretty well so far, I don't think he'll get it.

Coach Frank - Nothing to complain about here. I'm sure he was really pleased with his team's effort and execution as well.

Awesome win for the home team, but the real test will come in the next game against the number 1 seeded Memphis Grizzlies in Memphis, followed by a game against Dallas in Dallas. But for today, good win.