Portland Feb. 8th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 7, 2008.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

And in 1995, I could drink a 6 pk of beer and eat two pizzas without gaining a pound.....

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly what I was thinking. And don't forget the genius of Flip Saunders. He is just waiting for the perfect time to unleash the Slovenian. Flip is sneaky like that. He might wait until August to do it.

3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

All I know is it better not be as boring as the Miami game. I asked 'Horn if George had to keep poking him to keep him awake for the broadcast.:MusicBigGrin:

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Flip can muck up tonight, and I think he will. Or, he could surprise me and play Amir, Afflalo, and Stuckey all some major minutes, while keeping the minutes of our starters down. I am not calling for Maxiell to get more than 15 minutes tonight, as he needs some rest himself along with our starters.

Another opportunity too to give Fabio a shot at some playing time.
    But, as I started with, I doubt Flip gives a hoot about preparing for the playoffs. You know, getting your rotation ready to play. This involves two things. One, getting the right guys playing. Two, getting each of them sufficient time out there to get into NBA rythm.

On the first score, I would say we got mostly the right guys playing, although we have to explore other options at backup small forward, like Herrmann for instance. We can't just assume we are stuck with Hayes, not with his poor D.

On the second score, getting enough playing time for each guy who will be in your rotation, Flip is doing ok, not great though, with Stuckey. Remember him saying Stuckey had to play like 20 to 25 minutes a game, win or lose. He was right, and those kind of minutes should be happening for Stuckey.

To balance this, you also have to have at least 10 minutes for Afflalo. If Afflalo gets more, and Stuckey less, that is acceptable. I'd just say that the pair should get 30 minutes total between them minimum. This means that between Billups and Rip, they should average at most 33 minutes. (Or Hayes could lose his minutes to Afflalo.) The best way to go would be for Afflalo to average 15 minutes at backup small forward, and 7 minutes at shooting guard, while Stuckey gets 15 minutes at point and 8 minutes at shooting guard. (With Tay, Rip, and Billups each getting 33 minutes.)

If the above happens, all you got left to worry about is our big man rotation. Here is how it should go ideally. Samb 5 minutes. Amir 15 minutes. Maxy 20 minutes. Sheed 30 minutes. Dyess 26 minutes.
    What would happen if all the above happened? Thats a nine man rotation, with the weakest link on defense being Dyess, who is not all that bad when playing lighter minutes. (A tenth man, Samb, would be involved, but not enough to call it a ten man rotation.) None of our starters would be tired for the playoffs. Our guys in the rotation would be prepared for the playoffs. Our depth would be solid, with Samb giving us a bit extra immunity to foul trouble, and a bit more of a shotblocking presence.

In the playoffs, the other two guys dressed would be Hayes and Herrmann. Each of these guys should get into game now and then, but not more than like every third game, and not more than maybe 6 minutes when they do play. Just enough to be involved a bit.

Now, when I write this game up later, you can bet I will concentrate on how Flip is preparing for the playoffs. How many points Rip or CB score tonight won't matter on bit toward playoff wins. If Sheed goes in the post a lot tonight, it won't help us one bit toward a playoff win. On the other hand, getting experience for our youth, or finding a different solution at backup small forward, now those things will translate into playoff wins, and I certainly hope many of you will join me in rooting for these very important things to happen.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Neither AJ or Afflalo aren't capable at SF position. Even for backup. Ask for Tay how hard this position is.

I do not believe in this "being tired during PO-s" anyway.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You have your opinion on AJ and AA, but hey, do you think for a moment Hayes can handle the small forward position? So far this season, he is a doormat for the other team more than anything. Remember, the team he came from, Washington, used him primarily as a power forward, not a small forward. Note, I did say to give Hermann a shot at that position also. (Unfortunately, the ideal candidate, Mejia, took off to Europe)

In any case, we do have to try these other options before the trade deadline. Maybe we can trade for someone if none of the guys on our team can do the job.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Something may be afoot. Is this post long enough. If you want explanation, I will have to refer you to the other board.

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

and they were 18-31..... lots of players can put up numbers on bad teams, but can't do anything on good teams... he's not in the cards here.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Best half of the season!

This is the reason i get so frustrated when AA/Amir are given no PT. They're fantastic!

Afflalo is the reason we can stop dribble penetration. Do you know how huge that will be in the PO's??

At the start of the 1st quarter, I was a FTFF (foul trouble fan first) for Dice and/or Sheed. I love Max to death, but Amir is by far more talented.

Sheed/Stuckey/Afflalo/Amir/Prince. No one could score (well barely) against that lineup. That combo even makes Hayes look good in Prince's spot.

It's hard to not think this is a championship team when you see the bench play consistently. Also Stuckey continues to impress. Looks like all he needed was a little time to adjustment.

11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Loved Sheed running the offense with the young guns! Stuckey is like a rodent that can squeeze through any hole!

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

How about 10 guys all playing between 20 and 27 minutes? That's quite a box score. Weird that the bench was so bad in the 4th quarter (outscored 25-10), but they sure dominated that 2nd period!

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea as much as people want to get on the starters for not bringing it, i am sorta disapointed that the bench didn't play as well in the 2nd half as they did in the first....

BUT..... Very happy overall with the game... just curious if all the folks that can find fault with anything a starter does or one of the old bench folks will use the same fine comb with the bench players in the 2nd half or will they find every excuse to justify it....

But I wonder when was the last team had 10 players get atleast 20 mins in a game.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The bench most have thought it was garbage tiime in the 4th qtr with the big lead and slunk back to their old habits.... They did look good in the second though to put the game away.

Seven straight wins now and a potential looking at the schedule to win six more to extend the streak to 13 and possibly over take the C's...

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

They also weren't playing with Sheed in the 4th, but yea it looked like they slacked. Disjointed, and not really running anything. The PORT bench hustled, and the bench looked confused for a minute there.

As for overtaking the Celt's, not if they keep winning games like they did tonight. 2nd heartbreaker for MIN, should've won both games.

16. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

That was a great win.

"Stuckey to Amir!" is something I hope we hear often and for a long long time :)

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It was announced before the game that this was going to happen. After the game, it was strongly hinted that this was just the start. Got to love it. The starters rested. The bench developed. And oh, we completely blew away a team that beat us earlier in the season.

Knowing how the game was going to go before it started, I was about as excited as a guy can get about a sports event right from the tipoff. I enjoyed the heck out of watching this game.

The game started out slow, with Billup getting us all our early points. Portland was getting too many offensive boards while our guys could not get a rebound at all. Typical for our starters. But then Sheed got a 2nd foul, and a very high energy player came in are righted the ship. Jason Maxiell quietly started winning this one, just like he has for several of the recent games. Hard to notice. Its not his scoring. Not even his own rebounding a lot of the time. Its the energy he brings. Its the major attention the other team has to pay to him to keep him away from the O boards. Its his highly active defense.

Afflalo joined him soon enough. An excellent defensive player, he just accelerated the slaughter of Portland. Afflalo, in that decisive 2nd quarter, and late first quarter, played solid D, helped a lot with the ball handling chores, and made about 3 cuts to the basket for scores. A darn good game by him, another player who has been heavily responsible for our wins of late.

And then Dyess got his 2nd foul, and in comes Amir. When we let him play, what do we get? Yes, thats right, winning basketball. Yet another bench player who of late has been helping us win games. Amir was all over on D, hitting the offensive boards, and playing some pretty good individual defense when not guarding Aldredge. Now, Aldredge is pretty good, but don't think that just because he scored on Amir a few times means Amir can't gaurd him. It takes experience to guard a guy like Aldredge. Amir started his education tonight. He has a long way to go but meanwhile we will take those active feet on defense. Amir's highlight by the way had to be his slam back on a missed free throw.

Hayes did well. Scored plenty and did not get burnt on defense much that I noticed anyway. Herrmann got in during garbage time. The guy hustles, but is quite slow on defense. Having him and Hayes in was not good. (Then we added Brezec for the last couple of minutes and got real slow out there.) But hey, we had a huge lead and the game never got that close. Anyway, watching Hayes and Herrmann side by side, my impression is that no way Herrmann beats out Hayes for playing time. Herrman is just slow. Hayes ain't that quick, but he is still considerbly quicker than Herrmann.

Stuck got a career high 13. He hit some jumpers, got to the line driving inside, and got to the basket a few times. Quite impressive, and his defense and rebounding skills leave little to be desired. This is a guard that plays big.

Our bench had their bench outscored 24-0 at one point in the 2nd quarter.

Got to give a shout out to Sheed, the guy who played with our subs most of that 2nd quarter as we plowed Portland about 40 feet under. Sheed for a while just guarded Aldrege, and that was all we really needed him for. He did hit a triple or two also in that quarter before it was done.

The only question in the 2nd half was could our starters hold a lead. They did not have to, as Flip brought in Maxiell with all his energy real early in the quarter. Rip hit some shots.

Billups got 17 in that first quarter, and thats it. He did not play in the 2nd nor 4th quarters. With Billups also gettng 3 assists early, he accounted for all but 2 of our first 24 points. Blake started for Portland and just could not begin to check CB. (Roy was out due to family issues he had to deal with, and Jack had to guard Rip.)

Dyess had a flurry of offensive boards after Maxiell came into the game and drew some attention. Tay hit a shot or two and played his usual fine D.

OK, like I said last week, before Amir got cut down to virtually no minutes for a couple of games, if we stay on the course set tonight, we will win a championship. I think Joe Dumars made it abundantly clear how he wants things to go the rest of the season, and just maybe Flip will stop rebelling from this point and start repeating what we just saw. Mind you, again, I am about as excited right now about the Pistons as I can possibly get, cause I just can't fathom how Flip could possibly muck up any more after everyone just saw how darn good our young players are. Still, to anyone with some doubt yet, I do understand. Only by this type of behaviour from Flip actually continuing going forward can all doubt be removed.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Stuckey

minutes 24
    assists 4
    turnovers 0

Got to love it. Anytime you can get 24 minutes from a rookie point guard without a turnover that is pretty amazing.

As he gets more experience his assists per game will go up.

If he a couple of 20 + scoring games this year it wouldn't surprise me.

AJ was + 23 at half time. 25 minutes. That has to the most he has played in a game since the last game of the year against Boston, except for maybe the last game in the LVS last summer. I am sure he was tired at the end. The same for Stuckey. He hadn't played 24 minutes in a game since the exhibition season.

All these minutes are good all the way around.

:hoops:

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

From nba.com/Pistons

PISTONS: Pistons 91, Portland 82

20. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

That last quote from Stuckey elicits a HELL YES from me