1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important PistonsForum to close

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 9, 2017.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Any chance we can convince you to start up? Just follow Thee's lead and make a dummy account, no personal info.

I'll go ahead and reserve the name for you. "Mr Basket Balls"

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I put a list in the first post in this thread.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is there any interest in joining a new forum?

4. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm shocked!!!

I already suscribe to the private group on facebook. Hope we can keep things going from there.

In case I don't get to exchange opinions with you on the future, Thank you all of you for everything!! This forum means a lot to me, it's the only internet forum I read and where I've found so many good people!! And funny too.

I feel bad I never update my post about my trip to Detroit, and now that we are running out of time I feel really guilty. Sorry!

@roscoe36@roscoe36 Thank you for everything man!! I wish you the best of the best!! For you and your family.

Please, keep that facebook group alive!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    SirKeeper, detteam, brofmfa and 6 others like this.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Bill just gave me the news. I'm shocked and saddened. I know I've been AWOL lately but the spirit of the forum remained in my heart and thoughts and always will. I feel like somebody just told me a good friend died unexpectedly. But I totally understand and support Rascoe's decision. I'm sure it was very difficult.

Well, how do you thank someone for 12 years of...I dunno...a significant part of your life. So many good people. Yeah, like the man said "don't get me started". I made some very good friends. Lots of joy but some sadness too. Good times and bad. Thanks for putting up with my shenanigans all these years.

Some of you guys may remember the Mary Tyler Moore show from the 70's. The cast was very close and this was the closing scene after a run of several years that is running through my head and will think of every time I remember the forum and...everything. The first 30 seconds is silly but the rest... :crying:I really hope you watch it. It's us.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8sIRlGnt2zQ

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not good enough. I will call you on this answer.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Wow. I came here in a sad mood to finally see the KCP appreciation thread. Now who cares about that cat? All I can say is thank you for an amazing run. I know how much work it is. It's unreal that roscoe and the gang have been able to keep it classy for so long.

Love you all, and see you on FB.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1989, SirKeeper, detteam and 3 others like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Quick question. So is the plan to use the FB private group for forum members only and the FB page as the public face of PF.COM going forward?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

I signed up for the private FB, even though I'm only on here mostly during the NBA and NFL seasons.

I follow the Pistons through good and bad, and mediocre, as we are right now, but I loved this Forum, as I had just moved to the Southwestern US, and missed listening/watching the Pistons back in Michigan.

I hope to hear from other Forum members and maybe get myself to post more often.

God Bless and best wishes to the Forum Owner.

SirKeeper, detteam, raxrets and 4 others like this.
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Team Captain Forum Donor

Shout out to Roscoe, staff group for for this past wonderful 12 years, looking forward to see every each PF.com fan in FB.

SirKeeper, pass99, detteam and 5 others like this.
  11. roscoe36

The FB group is private so people can post without the outside world and Google capturing what is said. I know privacy is a concern for some people re: Facebook, and they have 3 privacy options.

Open, Private and Secret.

I tried Secret but people couldn't even see the group to apply to join. I have no idea how that was supposed to work.

No one can outside the group can see posts inside and everyone joining has to be manually approved by someone. Right now, it's Webz, CJ, myself and Mikhail.

The website (here) will stay up for a at least few more days. Slippy said he paid the hosting for this month, and I don't know it that means until the 25th, or the 31st. Webz mentioned we should give people time to share contact details if they choose, and so I pulled the trigger on telling everyone as quickly as I could.

After the website is taken down for good, I will redirect the domain name to the Facebook group and work out "something" with email so I can still check the PF.com accounts.

This forum as you're reading it right now will be gone. Everyone is welcome to join the Facebook group. Or not. That is entirely up to them. I listed more forums to join in the first post of this thread, and I hold no ill will to someone who prefers privately owned forums like this one.

12. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

13. Darth Tater

How are you doing with this Rascoe? "come to peace with it" "will be relieved in some ways"and "realize it is time"? Coyne? Slippy? My mind cannot wrap around it. I'm in denial. I haven't used facebook in years. But who knows? Havent been in touch with Jammer and Kimberly in ages but let them know.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

While I quit facebooking a couple of years ago, my wife does monitor my account in case relatives are trying to get hold of me. Anyway, my account is still active, so no problem using facebook to continue to talk to all you good people. Been a lot of fun over the years here, and I look forward to the fun continuing on facebook. Much thanks to Roscoe and all others who helped him with this site.

When I first started talking Pistons on Detnews.com, I used my real name. And really, not that concerned about privacy issues. But it is obviously a bit different from here, where people have that choice to keep their identity secret. Again, while not that concerned myself, I would like some feedback on the subject. On facebook, I use my real name. Maybe some people use fake names to start a 2nd facebook account? Anyway, see you all there, probably will not post here further, as I seldom post much in the summer these days.

I see my automatic sprinkler system is working today. (its raining.) Should clear up though in time for tennis tonight.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, I see a post on the privacy thing. Anyway, going to attempt to join the group now. See you all there.

CloudWalker likes this.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Come over to the fb group. We can hijack it and talk about books!

17. Menace

Menace Team Captain

I am sad to see this place go. I didnt post that much because i am more of a reader, and i loved to read the different posts up here. Not a Facebook fan so don't think i will be going there. Thanks Roscoe for your time and effort, and everyone else for the reading and discussions.

And what if someone started a new Piston forum from scratch? Doesnt the forum being moved to Facebook still ask for your involvement on Facebook, like adding ppl?

SirKeeper and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The difference between moderating and webmastering is pretty significant. IMO, I'd welcome someone starting over from scratch.

The Panda, detteam, roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  19. Darth Tater

Unles someone has the time, resources, and motivation I think we need to accept the reality. I would be very surprised to see anyone with all three . Regardless, with new ownership and leadership things will never be the same. But that does not mean it could not be excellent too.

20. roscoe36

The load is much lower on Facebook.

First, the community will stay small and relatively intimate. Speaking only for myself, I have no ambition to create a 1000 member group. I don't think humans are adapted to social groups that large.

Second, upgrading the forum several times a year, watching conditions with the server software etc are time and attention consuming. There is a lot you guys don't see.

Third, with the people we have in place right now, it's literally click one button to add someone, and I assume one or two buttons to kick someone. So, less management work, more time for posting.

If someone was serious and wanted to start a new forum and could show me they had the capability to pull it off, I would do a lot to help them. A lot. But it has so be someone who can convince me that they are responsible, committed and serious. The bar will be high.

I know it is not my place to be the patriarch, but just as I don't want people's emails, IPs and private messages falling into anyone's hands or spread around the net, I will not shepherd "my people" (because you are all my people) into a bad situation.