1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons Vs Sonics - January 6th, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons vs Sonics
    January 6th, 2006 ~ 8:00pm
    The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: Local Only
    Radio: WDFN

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~Comments on the game?~~

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How come there's only 5 games in the January hopper? Are these the only important ones?

3. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons have to be careful about this game. In the schedule outlook this is a win, but in the world of the NBA and in sports in general things change. Sonics come with a close victory over Chicago and a new taskmaster in Bob Hill.

The player that Detroit must contain in this game is Ray Allen, this guy can beat a team by himself with his sweet stroke from anywhere on the court. The other player they can't let beat is Rashard Lewis, Prince matches up well with him and we need to take him out of the game and just make him become all perimeter. The Sonics are a rugged perimeter team, the Piston frontline has to show up and play this game. If Sheed comes to play and play the all round game inside and out this is a win. Sheed is the only players on the court the Sonics can't match up with.

These are two perimeter teams with the only advantage for Detroit is Sheed. If Rip can match Allen and C-Bills have his normal game than this is a win for the Stones.:P

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

All we have to do is play our game. They can put up O numbers like 101 per game avg. but they give up 104. I don't think they've heard of D.
    Pistons 110
    Sonics 90

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This game has the potential to be a loss.

Bob Hill is a decent coach, his first move was putting Vladimir Radmanovic back into the lineup after Weiss had pretty much reduced him to Darko-ish minutes.

Hill's an old school coach. He won't play to the locker room or who Ray Allen likes. Old man Weiss seemed a little too caught up in his popularity to be objective about player/personnel decisions or make the tough decisions like demanding defense.

Seattle gives (29) and takes (27) a lot of free throws. But they are ranked third in the NBA for FT %. You've got to hit your bunnies, or they win at the line more nights than not.

4th in Offense, last in defense, averaging 8 steals per night, you don't want to get into a running game with the Sonics. This is a game the Pistons need to play at their pace. A little slower than usual, as Flip's pace is so much more uptempo.

The Pistons can (and should) attack the paint on Friday. Seattle does not block many shots, and their biggest player (Johan Petro) is a skinny 7'0" rookie starter. He can be exploited by Ben, Sheed and Dice all night long as he is also a foul magnet.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

for some reason last year jerome james killed us in a game against the sonics in seattle. he is now on the knicks but the pistons need to keep seattle's role players in check too not only there superstars ray allen and rashard lewis. the sonics beat us in seattle last year, but sheed came up big in a tight situation down the stretch last year at the palace against the sonics to pull out a win. seattle though is much worse from last season, but they now have a new coach so don't get too hopeful.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it's a win. the pistons don't lose when i attend games at the palace, and i'll be there tomorrow. :D

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some notes on the Sonics:

Ray Allen will have his right eye evaluated by an ophthalmologist in Detroit today after catching an elbow from the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich. Trainers said he didn't scratch his cornea, but want to rule out the possibility that he did damage behind the pupil.

Danny Fortson (sore left knee) went to the locker room in the third quarter and returned to the bench in street clothes.

Hill inserted Vladimir Radmanovic in the starting lineup and promised to use rookie Johan Petro and second-year center Robert Swift extensively.

Ridnour is also back in the starting lineup after being benched by Weiss for a few games.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

allen didn't practice thursday and is probable for tonight's game.

10. roscoe36

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I like how players go from 'probable' to kicking butt within minutes.

thanks to all the in game comments PF chat > Yahoo sports.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

A fine effort by the bench really helped us win this game. Dice was lousy early but got going late, Arroyo scored some hoops while I was yelling at him, and Delfino played a surprisingly sturdy defensive game. Good job guys, and Flip did a nice job blending them in with the starters. I believe they turned the game over to the A Team with an 8-point lead in the fourth, and the starters actually started playing enough defense to contain Ray Allen and an incandescent Rashard Lewis.

Strange (DUMB) play by Coach Brian Hill killed his team's rally attempt, when he inadvertently interfered with a Hamilton J while standing behind him on the court. And he actually protested the T!

Final thought: watching a raw kid like Johan Petro play effectively when he hasn't got half the tools of Darko makes me want to slug our young Serb right between the eyes. He really needs to get his head examined for signs of a Duane Bobick phobia, if you old-timers get what I mean.

13. roscoe36

No doubt. Petro will learn the game. He's not afraid to make use of his athleticism in the meantime.

Speaking of slugs, did Darko play tonight? :laugh:

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

With this season's great start, I wonder if JD spends any sleepless nights pondering the ultimate fate of the dark man.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

Well, Seattle seems to be doing better with their new coach. A coach who simply does the little things like start Radmanovic.

Tay got aggressive in this game, often leading a fast break, and in one case seeing a lane and dunkiig on them. Tay got 13 boards to go with 21 points. His outside shot was not going, so he went inside. Wow, a 20-10 game from him. The guy he was matched up with, Lewis, got 27 points, and basically looked about unstoppable. Except when Delfino defended him. Once again, we see a lot more from Delfino on defense than many imagined, me included.

Ben did it the other way around, a 10-20 game, with 13 and 21. Lots of offensive rebound putbacks. Not too bad at the line. Just half, but thats still points.

Rip and CB added some scoring, and Sheed a couple of threes.

Our bench looked very sharp, that is, as long as Evans was off the floor. Arroyo got 5 assists, 5 rebounds, and 8 point in his 13 minutes. He ran the fast break real well in the 1st half, and in the 2nd half tore up Seattle's defense with his outstanding ability to dribble the ball. Quite a performance. Delfino had a fast break dunk, where their big just stood and watched. Heck, who wants to be posterized. Delfino also hit one outside shot, and did I mention, guarded Lewis just fine. Oh, and one nifty assist too.

Dyess did poorly shooting in the 1st half, but got it going a bit in the 2nd half. Arroyo set him up real nice for one jumper.

Evans? Gave up easy shot after easy shot. Fortunately, Seattle missed a lot of them, or Evans would be shipped out of here already. Count Allen as yet one more player Evans has no business trying to guard.

Our bench took pretty much a tie game and handed the starters an 8 point lead and the ball for the home stretch. Not a bad job at all.

The Pistons got 10 offensive rebounds in the 3rd quarter to one for Seattle. Ben and I think Dyess got some of those. Nobody on Seattle could score on Ben. Typical. One outstanding block.

Last subject. Some more progress on the bench tonight. Why Evans is still playing I don't know. But the rest of the bench is looking good. In both halves, Evans came out first, but was also the first bench player out. In the 2nd half, he came out pretty quick, giving the rest of the bench players time to really shine. I hope that soon we can see out bench perform for a few games in a row without Evans in the game at all.

Still no Darko. Still got a lot of games this season yet to get him involved. But if he does not play for much longer, its going to be a case of starting from scratch for him again. If Evans did not play in this game, there would have been plenty of room to give Darko some time. Just my opinion. Sound harsh, oh well, its my opinion regardless.

There is another game tomorro night, so having the bench play some decent minutes tonight was quite important. Lets see what we got left in the tank tomorro. I suspect, as this is a payback game, we will have a little more energy than usual.

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: game report

was listening to the radio, they said dice had a migraine to start the game, and then threw up at halftime. probably made him feel better. :) tay's outside shot isn't falling but at least he got aggressive and made some sweet dunks and grabbed a lot of boards...hopefully this becomes a trend.

delfino continues to play well on defense. aaaand not much else to say.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: game report

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Delfino is a flat out GOOD defender now. Rashard only scored once on him, and it was on a reggie evans offensive board coming off of Delfino forcing him into a miss (prior to that Rashard had just gone off on Tayshaun). That, I won't entirely blame on Delfino since Dice/Sheed should have boxed out. But needless to say, he certainly did a lot better on him than Tayshaun.

18. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Re: Pistons Vs Sonics post game

This is a win of the ages, Pistons just know how to win. The only two guys on the Sonics that had a chance to beat Detroit in Lewis and Allen was not enough. Lewis had a great game and Allen carried the team in the first half, but once again 5 can beat two everytime.

LoL Lee356 I always thought BEN should be the 10-20 guy(as oppose to the league mantra of a 20-10 guy), Ben had one of his best games of the year so far, This whole starting five should be at the all-star game because they are that good.

Delfino if you haven't heard is going to be a playa from the hemalayas. This guy I did not realize was only 23 yres old, I was thinking for some reason he was 25 or 26. THis guy in two yrs will be an all world playa if he stays healthy. I said he would be the Pistons Manu but I'm starting to believe if he continues to improve the D, and the jumpshot he will be better. Give this guy 15-20 shots a game in the future and he will be an all-star.

Well Pistons have a revenge game tonight and they have to bring it to Utah and make up for the secound half meltdown back in December. GO PISTONS!!!!!:laugh:

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons Vs Sonics post game

Well, I don't know if he'll end up that good. But he kind of resembles a young Dan Majerle - similiar size, good strength, tough driver. I'd sure take that.