Pistons Vs Pacers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, May 30, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like this Indiana team, they're showing us how you compete with the Heat. Don't even try to match up with their Big-3, counter it with a big tough, physical brand of basketball. As I look at the Pacers I think that they (along with Memphis) are the model for the Pistons. So let's break it down:

PG: George Hill -vs- Brandon Knight. Is it really too much to ask that Knight perform at the level of a George Hill?
    SG: Lance Stephenson -vs- Kyle Singler. Lance doesn't put up jaw dropping numbers but he does a lot of the little things to help that team win. I personally think Singler can play a similar role on this team, but with a more reliable jump shot.
    SF: Paul George -vs- Kris Middleton. OK, here's where they got us licked. We don't have a Paul George on this team, however George's numbers in his rookie campaign weren't the least bit impressive.
    PF: David West -vs- Greg Monroe. Statistically speaking it's a draw, but West is a lot more tougher, physical and the superior defender. For us to take the next step we need Greg to toughen up and step it up defensively.
    C: Hibbert -vs- Drummond. Right now Hibbert is better because you can dump the ball into him and he can score, he also makes FT's and he's SUPER long and is a better rim protector.......but we all now Dre can and, probably will, be MUCH-MUCH-MUCH better than Hibbert in a few years.

They're better than us, but I think we can get there, a smart free agent move, a good coaching hire, a solid draft pick.....and I think we can be as good as they are (and deeper) in the 2014-15 season.

del likes this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

a solid draft pick, a good FA, some seasoning and we should be in the mix!

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...And a good coach.

4. max

max All-Star

I think this mainly means that Miami does not always take things as serious as they could. Remember the Celtics series last year.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But 2 years ago Indy was a lottery team, now they're playing in the ECF with a bona fide team identity.

linwood likes this.
  6. max

max All-Star

Very true. I just Miami to win because it will be a better Finals series. And I think San can beat them.

7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

PG: Hill is 27 and makes 8M and there could be a reason for this. To quote Hollinger on Hill:
    Scouting report
    + Long-armed combo guard with the handle of a point guard but a scorer's mindset.
    + Good spot-up shooter. Effective defender with long arms, especially at the 2.
    + Can slash to the basket and draw fouls. Slim build. Fairly athletic.

Analysis
    I've always liked Hill better as a 2 than a 1, but as last season progressed he honed his point guard skills enough to do a solid job in that role. Hill had a career high in assist rate and a career low in turnover rate; in fact he had the fourth-lowest turnover rate at his position. While he still didn't create a ton (4.6 assists per 40 minutes), he at least got Indiana into plays, especially compared to Darren Collison.

Hill was considerably more potent as a shooter, ranking 14th at his position in true shooting percentage. He made 36.7 percent of his 3s and 42.2 percent of his long 2s, and despite shooting mostly jumpers got to the line more often than most point guards.

Defensively his length proved helpful in multiple areas, ranking among the leading point guards in rebounds and blocks while using his size advantage to play a half-step off most opponents. He does his best work against big point guards and short wings, but statistically he had solid grades across the board -- most notably, opposing point guards had just a 9.2 player efficiency rating against him according to 82games.com, while shooting guards didn't fare much better at 11.7.

Shall we continue?

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The similarities between him and "good" Brandon Knight are Spot On! Problem is.....we see "bad" Brandon 75% of the time.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Knight is still just 21 years old. He will excel in this league. I just know it.

linwood likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Watching the Miami series, it feels like we have a LONG way to go compared to the Pacers.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is easy to say we'd like to be like Indy now, but I think a lot of us would have been complaining about David West's contract prior to this.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think what frustrated me so much last year was that the Pistons could have been playing the skeleton version of these good teams with guys like English and Middleton, but instead we had to watch them feature Stuckey and Max.

I could have lived with Daye and Chuckles also.

13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sure enough, after so many years, capable teams should have figured out the way to play with them. Go Pistons.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well Bill, you can't have it both ways. From my end, you have dual visions that are at opposite ends. You have a hard time in accepting that Knight will never be more that a plus 15 level PG in the league. I don't blame him, and we can wish... all we want.
    Now, your comparison to the Pacers is a non-homer reality, and I take no pleasure in this summation (though, I think it accurate). You had a big, that just exploded upon the scene and a lesser (my pick way-back) that is equally so. Good to see it happen for the Pacer crew. Good for the Eastern Conference. And also, good for us: because we can now begin to understand that hard-working 3-4-5 combinations, will bring isolated 1-2 stimulus packages through the long grind of the season and the label is marked delivered: home address...the playoffs.

Writ large the cellular and modular puzzle:
    • 5-4 (inside the membrane, stability)
    • 3 (the gatekeeper, letting some in and some out)
    • 1-2 (outside, adaptive evolution)
    All this is never equal, and the warp and woof of circumstance never stands still.

He who seeks equality should go to the cemetery.
    ---Yiddish proverb

KGREG likes this.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like Vogel and Lionel Hollins. They are 2 coaches who understand that who their teams are and when teams try to force their hand and make them go small they simply say NO, they stay BIG and ultimately force teams to match up against THEIR size. This is something Lee356 has been begging for-for years. Small ball will win you a lot of games in the regular season, Big Ball seems to win games in the Playoffs. Having a team where your 10 man rotation has the ability to play small ball but your 8 man playoff rotation and starting 5 are solidified in Big Ball seems to be the way to go!

pass99 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't Vogel get hammered (even teased by me) for keeping Roy Hibbert out of key late-game possessions in a loss because he was trying to match up with Miami's shooters (arguably a small-ball approach)?

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

They lost....and he learned his lesson. Funny thing is, Miami is now giving extended minutes to Bird-Man Andersen and Haslem in an effort to go big against Indy and with the exception of 1 game it's truly worked against them. Win or lose, did anybody think it possible that Indy or any other EC team could take Miami to 7 games? And it's quite possible Indy could have won this series already had they left Hibbert in the game for that one last play.

brofmfa likes this.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't he do the exact same thing in the end of the first half last game?

19. BillLaimbeer

I was with you up until "writ."

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just because it doesn't work out on a play doesn't mean the strategy isn't valid.

With 2 seconds left and Miami's threats all on the perimeter, no need for an in-the-paint center. They just didn't think Lebron could catch, spin, and drive uncontested for a layup in that small amount of time. Now they know.

With Hibbert in, they'd be automatically giving up an open perimeter jumper.