Pistons Vs Nuggets ~ November 23rd, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Stats

I heard on the radio earlier this week about a statistical measure that is gaining popularity in the league. It is points per possession. It gets to the heart of what you seek. Total offensive efficiency "irregardless" of offensive style. It is effected by FG%, TO, FT% & 3pt%. I presume an offensive board creates a new possession. I believe it was developed by whoever runs the 82 game stat website.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

My opinion is that there have been too many teams having hot shooting nights against us. Moreover, opposing big men tend to have season highs against us.

Also Brown's offense wasn't stagnant...it was predictable. In the playoffs, they knew what was going to happen so we basically had to out-execute them on a given set to get a good look.
  3. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

lemonpen

That is a good stat. I think there is one stat that has more meaning though. That is points per possession scored minus points per possession allowed. This way we can compare Flip vs. LB in a meanigfull way. Basically it boils down to "our we winning by a bigger margin on average?" The points per possession stat doesn't have much meaning if we can't determine the net gain or loss when comparing the two teams.
  4. lemonpen

Buckeyes#1

Yep, I was thinking the same thing about comparing O to D. To have an even more comprehensive tool I think it would have to be used in conjunction with the differential for number of possessions. Helps to know if greater efficiency is required or more possessions.
    I like the fact that by offering a relative measurement against our peers it can be used to determine which side of the ball is likely to generate greater net improvement.
  5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

slippy

My problem is that I never really know if the other team is shooting particularly hot or our defense is not so particularly hot that night. It is the same with the big men: if too many have season highs against us, maybe our big men are not defending them as well as we think they are.

When these things happen a lot, methinks :confused: we need to find the actual cause for them.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

points per

i'm not sure if this is the sort of thing y'all are looking for (these various statistical categories tend to confuse me more than anything), but according to 82games.com, Pistons points per 100 possessions (for and against) over the past four seasons:

Pist. Opp.
    2005-2006: 114 to 103
    2004-2005: 105 to 101
    2003-2004: 103 to 96
    2002-2003: 107 to 103
  7. lemonpen

Scolas

Dayam, thats seems like a huge increase. I'll make it a point to check back and see how 05-06 changes with additional games. Thanks for the data.
  8. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

scolas

excellent! That is an excellent comparison.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

03-4pt. diff
    04-7pt. diff
    05-4pt. diff
    06 so far 11pt. diff
  10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

more stats

i'm glad this particular stat was useful...

another useful one, for shedding some light on some of the debates i've seen in the forum about what particular players (and rotations) are providing and costing the team when they are out there can be found here:

http://www.82games.com/0506/0506DET.HTM

just click on the "5 man unit" link on the left hand side of the page.

As with all of their "in depth team" stats, you can go here: http://82games.com/teams04.htm to see the 2004-05 stats, and also to find your way to the 03-04 and 02-03 stats.

apologies if all of this is already well known -- i couldn't find it anywhere on the forum