Pistons vs. Nets - March 26 @ 7:30

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Mar 25, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

This tied the season series at 2-2

Dyess was great but you don't want to overplay him in the reg season. He still has that sore hand or whatever it is and his knee still has to be an area of caution.

The good. Team was getting into the paint more. At least Tay, Rip and Dyess were. Offense boards were great which gave the Pistons 10 more shot attempts. Nice production from the bench with Delk and Dyess. Something we did not get last season. And the defense kept the Pistons in the game during the 1st half.

The bad. Chauncey and Roscoe stunk it up. Bad games all around. 3 points for Roscoe as he was content at shotting 3's from the top. Differense was no other starter stepped up and picked up the slack like they usually do. Delfino continuing to be underplayed remains a mystery. Oh and bad clock management at the end there. Should have saved an extra timeout.
  2. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

I've been so busy lately, I haven't had a chance to see many games, but this one I thought was safe to miss.

Imagine my disapointment when I checke the score at nba.com. I almost gagged on my saliva. WTF is going on, and if Micro is right, and Sheed is MIA again, that really blows.

Ok, this was a mini-statement game, but it was a game we should have won easily(74 points?).

I guess somebody forgot to tell them to use Flips playbook, not LB's.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

bnech did great, but our first 3 options on offense was a combined 12-47. With the spurs losing both dallas and san antonio are tied and are 1.5 games behind us. We'll see how this team responds. Unlike before our defense is good, but our offense is bad.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I guess you can't beat NJ shooting 34% from the field and 55% from the line. Probably can't beat anyone. Got lots of boards, mostly because there were so many to be had - 17 offensive leading to what seemed like about six points. Ben looked down and Sheed and CB couldn't throw the ball down and hit the floor.

Dice might have won it single handedly if he had been on the floor when it counted. Given the bench effort in the first half that turned this from a blowout to a close game, it's hard to imagine not giving that exact same group at least a try in the second. Beyond hard to imagine, verging on criminal.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Flip Saunders

I'm with dba...Sheed and Chauncey weren't getting it done. Delk, Dyess, Huner and Delfino were looking great. Why not ride the bench instead of trying to force guys who are in a funk to play through it?

Even though we lost Piston fans have to be excited by the emerging bench unit. Dyess was incredible and the Delk Hunter combo is looking like the Pit Bulls reincarnated. Delfino's defense makes him the clear winner over Mo Evans....he has beaten Mo out of his spot in the rotation.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ben got manhandled constantly. toward the end of the game when chauncey airballed the open 3, ben was going to catch it before it went out of bounds, but one jersey guy on each side blatantly grabbed and held his arms so he couldn't move. it was obvious that this went on much of the game.

what made me the most upset was 74-72, plenty of time left, and we jack up a 3 instead of going for the tie.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I hope the +Delfino/-Evans part of the rotation is a sign of things to come. This bench unit of Hunter/Delk/Delfino/Dice has some serious chemistry. Hunter and Delfino are pests on the defensive end, and both Dice and Delk are capable of lighting it up at a moments notice.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gameflow

Pretty interesting that despite being a big zero offensively Sheed was the only + starter. More ammo for the Delfino fans, he lead the team at +8 in only 6 minutes.

How Tayshaun can play nearly 40 minutes and not rack up a single foul is beyond me. There is some physicality required to play good defense. Not to mention he didn't even draw a shooting foul... :ohwell:

Bring on the Mavs, and someone please, FIND A JUMPSHOT.
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Interesting that the teams we lose to typically come back and beat us again. (Washington, Utah, Nets ...) Either they've got our number, or the starters really don't care enough about the regular season to make revenge an issue. I'd bet the latter, yet it still bugs me. And Chauncey's quotes after losses are always the same - no big deal. You wonder what it takes to actually make the guy mad about losing.

Jersey's a lot tougher now that Krstic is stepping up and diminishing Collins' role. That was always their glaring weakness. Like the idea of them playing Miami before the Eastern Finals.

Random thought: Has Jefferson got a restraining order on Prince or something? That play where Jefferson blew past Ben for the dunk, Prince just stood under the basket with his hands in his pockets.

Hard to keep perspective, but it's vital. These guys have played more games than anyone in the league the last four years, so they know the priorities and aren't about to change. Flip should recognize and rely on the bench guys' hunger more, especially since it helps them prepare for the playoffs. Here's hoping that the Pistons have enough pride to actually TRY and inflict a payback game on the Mavs.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

someone please explain this play since i was at the game and couldn't figure out what the deal was. it was the 1st quarter, we had 14 points, and one of our guys missed a free throw but we tapped it in. originally we were given 1 point for that, then it was switched to 2 points, then the refs talked about it and changed it back to 1 point and counted it as a made free throw. this single point could have been big later in the game.

what happened here??
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They originally thought that the free throw went in and gave us 1 point. Then they thought that McDyess tipped in the miss, so they changed it to 2 points. Then they decided that, the free throw really did go in, so they changed it back to 1.

The replay showed that McDyess did tip the ball, but it was still in the cylinder and should have been a goaltend and 0 points.

So we got lucky, then it became really lucky, then it was downgraded to just lucky.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Really like the idea of Miami having to do through both Indy and New Jersey to get to the conference finals. Course to your other point, that means we might need to go through DC unless the Cavs can take a stand.

And as micro observes - Prince - 39 minutes, 4 boards, 1 assist, 12 points, loads of zeros, and nary a foul to be seen. That young man needs a talking' to.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Here's the deal on Sheed..we love him because we have no other choice. I'm gonna say what I've always thought about Sheed and I'll eat my words later:
    1. KG would "never" have the no-shows that Sheed has. I've never seen KG go 1-10 and not make at least an impact on the boards.
    2. Its not that Sheed has ever shown any interaction with the fans or media. Sure his goin for the gold makes us all winners, but there's still a selfishness to his motives.
    3. I suggested this in Nov that this team would be better served starting Dice (because of his knees staying warm) and putting Sheed with the pitbulls. Sheed was awesome with the 2nd unit and gives them some stability. Dice can give us that early game low post presence like Buddah used to do.
    4. Sheed had had a good three year run and Ben has the face of the franchise, but i would trade them both for KG and a 1, easily. We got to get a decent center/backup to spell Ben , even if we do keep him. If ben aint 12 boards and 3 blocks, he's nothing to us. Remember, when he OWNED the offensive glass?
    what2do?????????:doh:
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't get the Kevin Garnett point. Are you bored with winning, or has the NBA hype machine brainwashed you into thinking that it's cooler to have a superstar than a great team?

Sheed is limited the same way every one of our players is limited ... in a way that is mysteriously, chemically balanced out by the other guys.
    Expecting him to be great is a failed tactic - just ask Portland. But with him we get a guy who can pretty much defend any power forward in the league, which Ben can't always do. We also get a frontcourt scoring option talented enough to play well against elite guys, which we didn't have with Cliffy or Rebraca. (Or with Dice, who just cannot get his shot off against big, athletic 4s who jump like he used to - just count the pump fakes and fadeaways against a Kenyon Martin. Not to mention the fact that starting would take its toll on a kneecap that was literally ripped apart 3-4 years ago.)

We don't go anywhere without Sheed. And Minnesota would never take him 1-for-1 for Garnett, or anyone else on the team, so losing two or more parts of a championship contender for a guy who's proven that he can't win by himself is pointless.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wHAT A BUNCH OF HORSEWASH!!! R u saying great teams cant have great players????The Lakers had 4 of the best 100 ever, the Celtics of Bird had 4 half of famers in the starting lineup and The Bulls had Jordan!! Nuff said.. All I am saying is Garnett is better than Sheed and works harder on the bench than Sheed does in the game. We win cause we are good. But winners seek perfection. I dont care if I beat my little brother 21-20- I impose my will and win 21-14. Same with tennis. He takes lessons, I cant afford to. My all time record vs my bro? 7 and 1! cause I cometo play. KG does! Sheed...when he wants to! 1 for frakin 10 vs Collins...jeeez!!!!!!!:P
  16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Kevin Garnett is a better rebounder than Rasheed Wallace. And, well, ah, hmm... Oh! Yeah, he makes a lot more money, too.

As for the game - great show by Dice. But when 7 of the 9 players who played give a lot less than they normally do, it's tough to win. I almost agree with themicrowave and LanierFan here, but I'm hoping that the last two games have just been a coincidence, and that Chauncey and Ben are just in a funk. I'm less disturbed about these losses than I was about many wins earlier in the season, though. Even though the offensive efficiency has gone into the toilet, I'm a lot more comfortable with games in the 70s.
  17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

The Nets are flat-out murdering the Suns tonight. 83-45 after 3, with Phoenix shooting 25% from the field. Nash is being worked over by Kidd.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its now a final. The Nets beat them by 38 a night after kicking our butts. Dang. Did I mention that I hate the Nets? VC especially!
  19. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Beating us gave them some more confidence as if they needed any with the win streak they are on.One more team to look out for come playoff time.Granted our O stunk it up but they are dangerous,specially with Kristic playing well now.
  20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

For the Nets to trash the Suns that bad on a back to back, that I would give props to the coach. The coach, Lawrence Frank got them ready to play. Not that they are playing some scrubs but the 2 of the top 5 teams in the league currently.

Flip, get the point? Please do not give any excuses that the players are tired cause we have a bench as every other teams. Our bench is not that bad as you think they are.

Yes, no doubt we have the best record in the league and on course the break franchise records and whatever records there is to break but getting starters to play almost 40 minutes every game and still lose a game is pretty dumb when you keep saying you are getting them ready for the playoffs. I rather have the starters lose a game playing less than 30 minutes than losing a game playing 40 minutes and higher risk at getting injured.

I sincerely hope the secret strategy reserved for the playoffs, as said by Flip himself is having our bigs playing 'attack the rim'. If we can win 80% of the games in the regular season shooting jumpers, I believe we will not lose more than 2 games in any series which will lead us to a championship.

2006 NBA CHAMPIONS, DETROIT PISTONS!!!