pistons vs magic oct 16

Discussion in 'October 2012' started by copper, Oct 16, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Moderated: Orlando D-Leaguers vs. Detroit

illegal streams violate TOS.

-Slippy
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

End of game lineup includes: English, Middleton, Flynn, and Slava (plus BoT)

These guys can play. I like it.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Just caught the second half of the 4th quarter. A few observations:

- Slava can ball. He's got good positioning and he does all the rebounding/defending well. He also posts up really good, but seems like he has no idea once he receives the ball in the post.
    - English should get regular play time.
    - BoT is painful to watch.
    - Flynn ain't gonna make it.
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I liked the look of greg monroe and dre together even if it was short lived. Drummond roamed the baseline and gm played the high post. Got a nice oop to ad from gm. and the 2 of them on the offensive glass just isnt fair. Like a couple fat kids on a ding dong. I would love to see the 2 of them with BK, Stuck and JJ start.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Did the announcers say why Orlando went so shallow to there bench? watching the Tigers game and just checked the box score.... only playing 9 in a pre season BLOWOUT... with a starter at 44 mins... with 11 DNP's? almost want to hear they did the baseball thing and had a split squad day with the other 11 playing a game somewhere else lol.

really want to see the kids on tv soon though.... future looks bright.
  6. BillLaimbeer

I agree. Drummond is already better than Maxiel. I see no reason why the Pistons don't simply start Monroe and Drummond together beginning Game #1.
    S.J. likes this.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Step aside Austin, there's a new guy to get all angsty about lack of playing time and that's Middleton. He makes plays without the entitlement. I saw only the end of the game and Middleton and English looked pretty good for rookies. Slava had good positioning and kept the ball alive a bit.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I claimed yesterday that Monroe and Drummond together would be a bad fit, and they had to go out and prove me wrong. I really want to drink the Kool-Aid on this kid, but I keep reminding myself that it's only preseason and they played against what was effectively a D-League squad today.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Pretty decent game today. I say decent and not good primarily because those guys were pretty much Orlando's 3rd string lineup - no Big Baby, no Afflalo and no Jameer Nelson, and our starting lineup couldn't get separation in that first quarter; it was a blow out keyed by the bench players. The starters played far better in the third quarter though.

I liked seeing Greg hit that foul line jumper a few times; hopefully he gets more comfortable/more consistent with that, it'll really open up his drives to the basket.
    I hate, hate, HATE it when Bynum (and Rodney back when he played point) just lets the ball roll on the floor while bringing it up court.
    Brandon only took 4 shots. All in the first half. I'd like to see a better balance between running the offense and looking for his own offense; he achieved that in the first game against Toronto, but has been a little too passive since. I like that he's been more efficient so far though.
    Ken and Kim looked good. I'd like to see what a more traditional SG like Kim would look like alongside Brandon against real teams.
    Andre and Greg looked pretty good together. We definitely play better defense with Andre in the game, and they're both solid rebounders. So difficult to temper my expectations for Andre right now. Kid has played well every time he's seen time on the floor so far.
    Stuck passed on quite a few wide open threes to go colliding.
    I like Max, but I think it's time to send him to the bench.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Only listened to the 1st half. After that I watched the debate instead. Got cable problems - which I would have had resolved by now if not for being in bed recovering the last several days. I did go back to work today but I was pushing it. Still not really well enough - but hey, getting a paycheck is kind of important to me. Anyway, obviously, a team with just one scorer (Afflalo) who did not play (hamstring) is not much of any kind of test. I will note however we were plus 24 in the 17 minutes Drummond was out there - but just plus 2 the rest of the game - so either Orlando is not that bad really or our team is just pretty horrid with the exception of Drummond. (Ok, yes, I know, we were plus 5 without Drummond before we put in CG at the end of the game, so I am over dramatizing it a bit.)

Nice writeup Alexa. And I see someone dissed the D league something fierce. All for now. I look forward to, well, getting well first, and then enjoying another Piston season.
    linwood likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I've been poo pooing the theoretical Monroe and Drummond pairing, but as Bill L points out how much worse can it be than what they've had the last few years?
  12. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

I guess the Magic have already started tanking, using only 9 guys last night haha
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like one guy led the team in points, assists, and steals. Pretty nice outing.

Drummond with 4 blocked shots in 17 minutes?
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

To be fair, we never really got a look at a Jake Voskuhl & Greg Monoroe front line.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

According to the DetNews, last night was the 1st time Frank paired Monroe and Drummond together including practice. Yikes!
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Well I guess is long term / short term results.... whats better having them practice with each other against the post presence of Max/CV or have them going head to head against each other in practice?

I trust Frank knows how to get all our players best prepared... first time since Brown was the coach I can say that.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It's really important to see what we have in Jason Maxiell.
    His improved play last season helped the Pistons make the YUGE jump from 13th in the East to 10th.

...Oh, and as he does EVERY year, JMax has come to camp fit and trim and that has Piston staffers excited that this is his year! I swear, Maxiell is the guy that drops a bunch of weight so he can look good at his high school reunion only to hit the drive-through hard as soon as that sucker is over.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I watched the Tigers-Yanks and debate last night so had to DVR the Piston game and just finished watching it. I only recognized two Magic players and one of them Q Richarson only play a half of a quarter. Looks like five players were injured, Jaque decided to sit the others.

Blaha did mention that this was the first paring of Dre and Monroe and it was good pairing in my opinion that should be an every game occurrence the start of the game come December. I, like others paid a lot of attention to the other two rookies Middleton and English and those guys definitely more than 8 mins in a preseason game to show their stuff. Hopefully these guys get more burn in the remaining games and get a chance to move up in the pecking order when it is time for substitutions.

I know Frank has his play only 10 rule, but you have to wonder why old may Tay got 23 minutes in a game that was over at halftime.:confused:
    With Daye and Williams not get any PT you have to wonder if one or both them will be one of two men out when the season starts.

Charlie V??? is there anybody put there who we could unload him to? He is about as useless A-Rod... I would play all of our semi bigs ahead of him....even Daye.

As far Slava Coldslaw goes...got positioning, but looked like Max did a few years go as it relates to trying to put the ball in the hoop...if that continues and he does not get the foul calls, no one will trust passing him the ball under the hoop. Of course I only saw him play 8 minutes vs some scrubs, so I can only imagine he will be better vs the real deal:bs:
  19. BillLaimbeer

Slava looked pretty good in the one game that I did see him. I have to admit, I only watched here and there last night as I was channel searching between the Tigers, Pistons, and the debate. Slava is definitely more in the project category, in my mind, while Drummond is more NBA-ready.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely a project...but as noted it was 8 mins of this game and maybe the Magic scrubs were trying to impress their coach with aggressive defense.:biggrin: