Pistons Vs Heat ~ December 29th, 2006

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

fisrt half

Billups played great in the 1st quarter scoring 14 points and dishing out 4 assists.

Ca took over in the second and got people involved he had a beautiful outlet pass to rip from about ¾court and in general just played smart. I did not really see any of the over dribbling that people complain about.

A glaring weakness of Mo Evans on Wade was exploited by Miami every chance they could get Shaq was on the bench so you gotta know they are going to attack with Wade and Mo just could not even come close to playing d on him. On back to back possessions he sank a jumper in Mo’s face.

We got out rebounded 18 to 17 Miami’s fg% was 50% to the Pistons 48% the only thing that helped keep this one close was us hitting 50% from 3 point land and us shooting 8 for 10 for free throws.

With Shaq sitting a large part of the 2nd quarter we never saw DD or Darko out on the court after Flip saying both would get pt to help slow down the diesel.

2nd half expect more of Billups than Arroyo if it is a tight game and maybe a Delfino sighting over Mo (who am I kidding on this 1) for guarding Wade while Tay gets a rest.

2. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

CB is screwing up royally

CB is taking bad shots, and not guiding this team to play like a Larry Brown team, when our opponent is playing that style.

Pistons need to wake up!

3. Abe Froemen

la sam

lb is gone we are 24-3 get over it. This is FLIPS TEAM Chauncey scored 30 points tonight had 7 assists and went 12-12 at the line how do you want him to play?

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

24-3

Chauncey is the MVP...4 Pistons should go to allstar game...We will only get better..my bruddahs!~

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

delfino

came off the bench and provided the spark. he was the turning point in the game in my opinion. our 3's weren't exactly falling tonight but we made enough to get the win. pistons are looking really good. wade and shaq can go off if they want to but we still get the victory.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Delfino was a huge spark off the bench tonight. Arroyo played really well also. He allowed Billups to get a long rest tonight - I think it was the 2nd Q.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are rollin...

Sam, CB did come out in the third a little out of control, but he redeemed himself down the stretch. Good win in front on the national audience twice this week. We can cap it off this weekend with a win vs the James Gang.

They definitely almost let this one get a away by allowing Wade to dominate in the 4th. He had 5 fouls for the last 7 minutes of the game so we need to be able to attack these high profile players in crunch time so that they foul out and not get those "bonus he-shoulda-fouled out-long-time-ago-points. :doh:

Shaq will probably complain later that he didn't the ball down the stretch and that's why they lost.

8. max

max All-Star

game

Kind of a mirror finish of game 7 last season against them.

9. Abe Froemen

2nd Half

Ok this is not an I told you so but Delfino got Mo's minutes in the 2nd half. He didn’t make any mistakes but 1 that I saw he let Wade get by him back door for an easy dunk but he played solid minutes and got 5 points.

Miami never knew where the next basket was coming from (lions need to learn about offense from the pistons) it was Rip or Sheed or Billups knocking down shot after shot. Prince even got in on the action late in the 4th with a couple of nice baskets his behind the back dribble and dunk on the break was sweet

Imo it was a Pistons game even though TNT analyst Steve (I use to play with M.J.) Kerr kept saying he thought that the tempo belonged to Miami. He must not understand that this team will not crack in close games, and that they stay cool under pressure. The Pistons are content to stay close and turn it up defensively at the end. I personally would like to see the intensity the Pistons play with in those situations all the time but oh well I will take the w in the end.

Imo the key down the stretch was free throws Miami shot 13-20 and the pistons shot 25-29 we need to keep taking at teams to get to the line we are such a good free throw shooting team it is gimme points. The refs are bound to start giving us calls if we keep doing as well as we have.

10. max

max All-Star

Billups

How can anyone be complaining about Billups? I suppose Sam wrote that before the game was over. C hit 8-17 with 7 assists. With his assit/TO ratio I would love to see more of this non-LB out of control style. Its called having an offense.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A combination of good fortune and persistence on causing Wade to commit 5 fouls in the second half. That was huge down the stretch as he could not be very aggresive eg: guarding Billups when it counted, etc.
    Great entertainment, the highlight of the game for me - if not Ben's block on one end (was it on Walker's shot?) leading to Prince turning Dwayne Wade into his little girlfriend on the behind-the-back dribble and jam - must have been Rip's penetration move to assist to Dice's slam over Mourning a bit later.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great game from Big Ben

Ben played solid against Shaq. 14 boards 2 steals and 2 blocks. Especially that block in the 4th that led to a Prince dunk at the other end.

Plus he only had 2 fouls! I think thats his most impressive stat of the night playing against Shaq "Man Boobs" O'Neal.

13. Abe Froemen

He has a legit reason to be pissed they dont go down inside enough to him late but they did try and Ben Wallace denied him both times once with a block and a 2nd time with a poke/steal for Chauncey.
    Great game for the guys to win I agree we should have tried to go after Wade more. I heard Marv Albert say Riley would probably like to put wade on Billups but he has 5 fouls. The stretch where rip had him all frustrated we might have gotten 1 more whistle but oh well. Wade has gotten frustrated against us before and imo we just get in his head, if and when he does not pick up those silly pissed off fouls he hurts us.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

We shot too many threes. Absolutely. One too many. One too many for Miami. Man oh man was that a killer 3 by Sheed to put the game away. Better yet, it was off a drive and dish from Billups, in a game where they keep telling us Billups is being talked about for the MVP. This game certainly is going to give him some votes. CB drove inside at the end, made free throws. Hit a shot or two.

Rip scored plenty. Quietly. But he got 25 points. Going inside a lot, and hitting from the outside. And Rip guarded Wade more than anyone else did. Thats a lot of work. Wade was hitting everything toward the end, no matter how well guarded. But he got to thinking he was superman at the very end and threw up a pretty wild shot defended very well by Tay. Got to know your limits pal.

Sheed had 4 triples. Guarded Shaq some. Pretty effectively really. Another hero was Prince. Hard to see that, but the guy was giving them problems posting up. And Tay let loose quite a few outside shots, several that went in. His defense on Wade for the most part was quite ineffective, but man did he make Wade work for some of those shots.

We got to see Delfino guard Wade some. He did better than some would expect. Miami started coming back from that 9 point lead we had while Delfino was guarding Wade, so you can't say it was that effective. But I'd say he did every bit as good a job as Evans did.

Ben Wallace certainly did not do so great a job of guarding Shaq, but he stayed out of foul trouble and continued to do his job. Altogether, when you consider the misses Shaq did have and all the times Shaq passed the ball away, you can't complain to much about how Ben did. No foul trouble, no need for Davis or Darko.

Arroyo played a ton in the first half. Did fine too. He had one marvelous pass up to Rip for a score. That pass was just shy of full court length, hitting Rip perfectly right at the basket almost. And the pass had to perfect or it would have been picked off. It takes both guts and skill to throw such a pass. Good job Arroyo. And Arroyo's defense on Payton was just fine. Arroyo generally took the legs out from the taller player. You knew Arroyo would see no time in the 2nd half. CB was well rested going into the 2nd half, and this is a nationally televised game with lots of nice long timeouts.

First time all year no Evans in the 2nd half of a game. Delfino was in instead, and we scored every single time down the court for quite a while after he entered the game. Except for a lucky 3 Walker got off glass, we scored 13 unanswered after Delfino came into the game. I like that a lot. He took turns resting Rip and Tay, and did a fine job doing so. (How much of that comeback was Wade just getting hot vs. anything bad Delfino did, I can't say. I really did not catch anything Delfino did wrong though.)

Evans had a good offensive rebound for us. He could not guard Wade. Hey, Wade is tough to guard, but if Evans can't guard Wade at all, then why is he in the game?

Dyess hit about one shot from the outside. Did not take many shots at all. He had that one dunk off a set play out of a time out. He gave our bigs plenty of rest. Ben for instance sat out at least 8 minutes of the 2nd. Dyess was in early and late in both halves, which meant Ben and Sheed could spend more energy where needed, on Shaq.

Shaq id not look all that sharp, but then again, will he get any better. He is already 10 games from that injury. By the end of the season, he will be either worn out or sporting another injury. Maybe. We don't know. Three more games to play these guys yet before the playoffs.

Miami did not go to Shaq in the 4th quarter. Wade, Wade, Wade instead. And a little Williams too. Williams scored a lot for them. Can't say much bad about his game really. Wade was hitting shot after shot, so if Shaq complains about too few touches, thats just sour grapes. The fact is, they could not stop us on the other end, despite all that scoring they did down the stretch. About the most significant fact was that Wade picked up a pair of stupid offensive fouls for hooking that kept him from guarding Billups down the stretch. Such things are going to have to keep happening if we are going to keep beating Miami. Riley is a darn good coach and I bet he cleans that up.

Oh. The joke. Payton guarding Billups? Nuff said. Billups was the hero down the stretch while Payton was a complete non-factor for his team in the game.

As I have said, this board or another, every three we took last game was good to have taken. See why? Practice makes perfect. They had to be sharp for this game. Going inside on Shaq and Mourning does not pay off that greatly.

Delfino hit one outside shot, missed two others. A 3 he took just rimmed out. He made 1 of 2 at the line, and scored a fast break layup. And he was our only sub besides Dyess in that 2nd half. I'd say coach is trusting the right guy.

15. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Great game

Great win by the Stones. Billups came out big and took over down the stretch. I was expecting to see some Arroyo at the beginning of the 4th Q, but seems like Flip though Cb had enough rest on the 2nd Q. Delfino played better than Evans tonight and he will earn more minutes as the season progresses.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice recap. Hit the highlites, summed things up. Good job!

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I hated that lucky banked 3 by Walker, and new thought

That would have been, combined in the last two games, a 21-0 run when Delfino enters a game. We did an 8-0 run last game when Delfino entered. This was a 13-3 run.

After watching this game, I say give Acker a shot at the backup shooting guard minutes over Evans. I originally thought Acker was a solid defender, but one who could not stop dribble penetration. But after seeing how bad Evans is at it, I say go back to Acker.

Acker can hit threes. Throw assists. Defend outside shots very well. He can drive and score. Very athletic. Good rebounder. Not as strong nor as athletic as Evans, but lighter and quicker.

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't one of them look like Wade was trying to fake getting fouled, but Hamilton faked back and Wade ended up getting called for a foul?

Crime does not pay! :laugh:

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Before you break out the champagne bottles

Look at the box score.

We won this game at the line and the arc. The bench was barely a factor. 13 PTS, 4 REBS, 3 AST and 2 STLs.

Outshot AND outrebounded. 5 nights out of 7, that will lose you the game.

Nice to get the W, but this was far from a convincing win. 5 points and down to the wire against a team that is not as good as the Spurs.

Ben has got to get the ball for more than 3 shots (one of which was a 3 seconds on the shot clock bailout). We put zero pressure on Shaq until late in the game.

Flip's use of the bench is atrocious. Maybe even worse than LB.

Miami did well. Almost good enough to steal the game in Detroit.

20. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Win

YEah! Good win today.

I was a little concerned about the defense inside early as JWill went in for layup after layup but we came out with the win.

I was a little concerned that we were that close after the 1st quarter with Dwade not even heating up yet but we came out with the win.

I was a little concerned we were shooting the three too much but we came out with the win.

I was a bit concerned with how Evans would do but Delfino came in and rescued him and we came out with the win.

I really think we shot it well tonight but we should penetrate more just like what Chauncey was doing in the fourth. Sheed is hanging around the three point arc way more this year. Good thing he is making them.

Great job by Delfino today. If I'm Flip I'm getting him off the bench first. It looks like he has better game than Evans.

Dice looked good out there again.

Arroyo was great as well with that on-the-money, touchdown pass to Rip in the 2nd.

Ben was huge against Shaq and we can't have enough of that block on Shaq in the fourth.

It was close. DWade was ridiculous in the fourth. Downright scary. But thankfully we have a team that stares them down, and gets business done.

GO DETROIT!:nod: