Pistons vs Celtics Nov 4th

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by mercury, Sep 12, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Only 4 Shots From the Bench Guys?

I would like to see him and the rest of the bench get more time. All these minutes will lead to an unnecessary injury or two. Pro B Ballsers can't continue to play these kind of minutes night in and night out without their bodies weakening and becoming more prone to injury.

Maybe it is just a matter of time before Flipper gets more comfortable with the bench. If not, its going to be a long season for us Piston fans.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ah, don't sweat it bro. We all make them. Everyone understands what you meant.

I considered using the snowman smiley, but man I was dying to use that flying pig one.

I hope the DMC folks are ok with him getting meaningful minutes even if they are few and far between.
  3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Mr. 0.8 seconds leads the league in scoring

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics

I expect Rip to lose his lead for good in a game or two. I seem to remember Stackhouse having the scoring lead pretty late in the season at one point in 1999-2000, when he averaged 29.8. AI and Kobe will probably battle it out for the scoring lead this year while their teams go nowhere in the playoffs. For us, we'll get Ben up there in boards, blocks, and top 10 or so in steals, and that's about it. Except for that future league leader in blocks coming off the bench...
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ROFL i just had to look, i thought it was an icon of a My Little Pony, i was like what the?? haha

plain and simple, this was a sloppy game all around. lots of turnovers from forcing the run & fast break, and taking shots early in the clock with no one to rebound. flip said he couldn't see much to work on after game 1...he sure does now. :)

we'll take the win!! go pistons!! we need all the wins we can get with the tough WC trip comin up
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We did not look that good--but it's a long year

It is hard to gauge this type of game. It was almost like a playoff for Boston. We went to Sheed, we took a few good threes and we got some early fast break points. Sheed did not do well down low but got that three and the tip in late. Those threes and early fast break points saved us--I think we would have lost this game last year. We looked a lot like last year but not in the best sense. We still struggled at times. Dyss does not look ready yet. Teams will continue to focus on Chauncey as they watched SA last year. Rip is fresh again and what a difference! I am excited about Evans game. Still very concerned about Arroyo's passing skills--not his shot. We still over pass near the hoop--can't blame Larry, now. Well, it is early and this is a marathon. But we have a ways to go.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The local broadcast flashed the final score as Boston winning

Fortunately for us, the announcer was saying there was time left. Still, just for a moment I thought we had lost.
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Ugly game but both teams played their guts out. In some ways it reminded me of how Philly played against us -- they missed some makeable shots early, tightened up and started taking harder shots. We started off at a breakneck tempo and rushed things all night.

It's hard to identify anyone on the Pistons who played well, and I guess it's a positive thing that you can say that yet still win.

Ben was terrific on the boards, but we got killed as a team. Sheed was doing a lot of the right things, but his shots weren't falling. Nice clutch shot and tip at the end. Meanwhile Hamilton won the game but did a lot more to try and lose it, with terrible defense (how many times did he fall down out there?) and a million bad decisions. Billups got outplayed by West and never really asserted himself. I think the Cs have found their point guard. Prince looked a step slow and got badly burned by Pierce, but Pierce is a handful for anybody when he's fresh.

This was a deja vu game from two years ago ... watch our backcourt struggle, see Rip go 1 on 4 a few dozen times, yell at Prince to be more assertive, wonder why the heck the bench isn't getting more play. In both cases it was early on in a new coach's system. We'll see what happens.

Bench notes: McDyess is a zombie out there. He gave us nada and almost seems disinterested. On my team he's one bad appearance away from becoming our sixth big. Evans made a big 3 but is still sort of waiting around for someone to pass to him. He hasn't figured out the offense or his role. Delfino needs to play more, and I think he will. He wasn't terrible against Pierce in brief service but the lineups didn't favor him this night.

Arroyo didn't do great as a playmaker but is really shooting well. I'd like to see him play alongside Chauncey a little more. Darko played good, just not enough. Feed him the ball, you dopes. He had low post position several times but never got the ball. His one jumper showed how much he has loosened up in game situations, quick-triggering it late in the clock while someone was rushing out at him. Tellin' you, when his shot has that high arc it's the best barometer of his offense.

Celtics announcer and all-time homer Tommy Heinsohn was actually insisting that Boston would be better than Detroit this year because they were more committed to developing a second unit and not burning out the starters. I scoff at that, but I also wonder if there isn't a grain of truth in it ... we'll see.
  8. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Actually, watching and listening to Tommy Heinsohn crap his pants when Rip hit that shot was worth a dozen ugly games. And even better was listening to all of the MAHRAL VICTRY talk from Bob Cousy with that thick Boston accent after they came back from the break. Thank you league pass.
  9. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Definitely. Isiah was on a mission in the '89/'90 season. He wouldn't let the team sleep on anyone, especially as the season wore on. Without that kind of edge, we can't go all the way.

Lots of people have mentioned this already, but I was surprised to see in the box score that the starters were playing in the neighbourhood of 40 minutes for the second game in a row. Maybe it's just early in the season, and the bench guys will work their way into the rotation soon. If it doesn't happen, the starters are going to be tired again, and there's no way that we'll be the last team standing next June.

As for Tommy's comment, there's no way that the Celts are better than us this year, but he does have a point. (As an aside, I really love the announcing team for the Cs. Mike Gorman is easy to listen to and calls the game well, and Tommy kills me -- yeah he's as much of a homer as you can get, but I love his enthusiasm.)

:D I wish I could've heard that!
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

^^^Thing about Tommy is that you know he's a homer. But lately he's getting a little self-important -- awarding his "Tommy Points" like an archbishop bestowing a benediction, then bellowing how Justin Reed is the closest thing they have to ... "Waltah."

As he was drawing out the comparison to its ultimate punchline, I was trying to guess what fabled Celtic player he was comparing him to. Cedric Maxwell? Satch Sanders? But no, it was Walter Friggin' McCarty. Bet ol' Justin can hardly sleep tonight with the excitement that he's become Tommy's pet. :)
  11. max

max All-Star

ReBroascast

Just watched the re-broadcast. I head the original ending on the radio and Blaha gave the impression that the Pistons got the bad whistle on Pierce's last foul and the double-dribble by Blount. Watching it myself I can see how these calls were made even though I question the last foul on Pierce.

Just a great win. Winning a game in 0.8 secs does not happen very often.

I would not worry about the bench. Key here is to make sure the money players are well rested for the last half of the 4th quarter which they were.

Its not so much total mins played you just do not want certain players having to play 12-20 min stretches which you have to do without a 4th big or 4th guard/SF type of guy. Pistons have added Evans to round off a core 8 ( which Delfino may take over ) and Delfino/Darko are there to take up the slack. Plus they will play more as the season goes on.
  12. Tally

The one thing that is hard to listen to on those Celtic broadcasts are when Heinsohn issues one of his "Tommy Points" for a hustle play. They interrupt the next play while some intern posts a little Tommy with a big "thumbs up".

[​IMG]
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

To go along with what Max said, I thought this was a very fairly officiated game. They swallowed their whistles most of the night and let the guys on both sides play. I don't know how a second-year guy like Delonte West gets to take full overhand swings at the ball without even the whisper of a foul, but Steve Javie usually does a very good job.
  14. Tally

Speaking of Delate West, he has definately made strides at the PG position. His defense looks pretty tough - tho on a night like that looks might be deceiving. Jameer got the press coming out of St. Joe, but this kid may be a better all around player..
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

And while I'm at it, what's up with Darko's hair? Last night he was using product for that Count Chocula/Eurotrash look.

Somebody needs to put together a gallery of all the bad hair phases in this young man's time with the Pistons.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

31 - Tayshaun Prince
    19 - Rasheed Wallace
    36 - Ben Wallace
    38 - Richard Hamilton
    32 - Chauncey Billups

Average: 31.2

And LOL yah Darko's hair...what's he doin?? Him and Delfino need haircuts badly
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

bench wasn't too effective last night- I hope that's only an exception.
    Only 4 mins for Darko, although he did ok- worries me in some way.
    I hope Saunders trusts the starters because he wants a good record at the start not to get miscredits and plays the bench more down the stretch of the season.
  18. Tally

:laugh:

I thought, damn Eddie Munster grew up. He was better off with the stylishly messy look that Delfino does...

One other funny thing from last night. Rip was asked if he was impressed with the Celts...in his answer he mentioned that "both teams played hard..." and immediately started to chuckle and could barely finish he sentence. Sheed had to be in the area.
  19. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Warthog for posting the minutes from the Philadelphia game. Now I don't know what the hell I was thinking! :doh: Must have confused one box score with another....

Last night they played more, but maybe it was just because it was such a tight game. I don't think I expected it to be that close, even if it was in Boston.
  20. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Last play

Who do think called that final play.