Pistons Vs Bulls ~ March 8th, 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

another kind of win that makes our record make look much better than the team's play.
    Nothing has changed- the Pistons got outrebounded, Tayshaun hat a low %, Sheed got 5 (!!!) boards (damn, this is a 6'11 PF!), absolutely nothing from the bench (offensively). Some decent D from Fino, some good rebounding by Dyess but that was it.
    I always wonder how this team manages to win while getting outrebounded, shooting weaker and playing without effort.
    Probably it was the big effort on the offensive board last night.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess the final score is only an after thought.
    We must to have used a half court O because we got O boards. Usually if we miss no one is around for the board or tip in.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

For some reason i wanted to hear the chicago radio, and they were saying a lot of smack about the pistons.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Love it. Probably best used with an adjective, as in dreaded PisCones, for when the evil twins show up.

Nice run by Delfino last night. No hoops on one shot, but some intensity and a get the ball and push it attitude I really like. He made some good things happen on the defensive end. But he was playing the 3 spot so seemed to be the forgotten man in the offense most of the time, mostly just hanging around at the line.

And how about that guy impersonating Sheed?? Pump fake the three and then drive the lane!! Now if we can only get that play set up from the top of the key rather than the three point line so it's one dribble to the hoop rather than about six and we got something special. You got to work a bit to find any fault with his game last night though - 8 of 12 inside the arc, five boards, assists, steals, blocks - big game.

Another forlorn night from Dice and I must have missed the good parts of Tayshawn's game others are talking about.

I got the Bulls broadcast in Chicago and there were loads of interview quotes with Skiles (who did not try to sell me a mortgage) - pretty articulate guy for a Neanderthal.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It was funny last night at one point, sheed' got the ball behind the arc at the top of the key, got ready to launch, hesitated, the defender closed, and sheed sort of chucked up this horrible three. Greg Kelser says: "conscience must have got to him"

I guess it's not that I thought Tayshawn had such a great game. I was mostly encouraged that after several games of bricking jumpers, as if trying to force himself out of a slump, he seemed to finally resign himself to work his way back from it from the bottom up, with shots inside. he worked to get himself open looks near the hoop, and the pistons seemed to remember he was on their team.

p.s. and watch out dba: god didn't make the PisCones, man did.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The good, bad & strange

The good: We finally got to see Sheed on the blocks (still not enough)... it's almost instant success for him down there... something good should happen... Joe should wrote in his contract ...for every 3 you miss we deduct $1,000... for every post up shot you get $2000.
    Also nice to see them starting to use Prince as a slasher where he doesn't have to body up... that floater is almost unblockable.
    Rip got back to recognizing a double team and making the dump off to the open man... he draws more attention than any of our other players.

The bad: Still not much to be impressed with from our bench.... neither Delfino or Evans did much... if you think they did go take a look at some other teams box scores... Delfino made one nice steal (the other was bobbled into his hands)... he made a nice defensive stop down low... and he gave up two points on a gamble... had a t.o. that didn't make the box score.... Evans did absolutely nothing but hit a 3 pointer... did Hunter even play?... oh yeah he hit a 3 pointer... sorry this ain't enough production from any of them.

The strange: How did the team that played the night before come out with twice the energy of the team that had three days off?
    Anyone notice how many wide open uncontested shots Chicago missed?
    I think Ben had more tap backs to his teammates than rebounds last night... Chauncey missing 3 FT's.

They all don't have to be dominant victories... I was glad to hear that Flip addressed the excessive 3's with the team... hopefully this will stick for a while.... These rope a dope W's are a little nerve racking.... now where did I throw that remote?
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Game Flow

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20060308&game=CHIDET

I didn't get to see the third, but it looks like Delf was at least on the floor for the run. +10. Not too shabby.

The neat thing about the Gameflows are the HV column (Help Value). Pretty good help distribution among the starters.

REB + AST + STL + BLK - TO

Was Tay covering Deng and how did he do?
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Delfino: 1 shot
    Evans: 2 shots
    Hunter: 2 shots
    Delk: 2 shots

There's your answer. Lindsey is the only guy that actually touched the ball more times than he shot it on the offensive end. They just don't get the ball unless they are completely WIDE open or they get it themselves on a steal/rebound. I have seen Delfino have success driving to the hoop off pick and rolls and I have seen Mo Evans have success with turnaround jumpers in the post, so why doesn't Flip get them involved? The fact is that none of them have plays called for them. Every other team has plays to get their bench players involved. Flip must just tell these guys to go out there and blend in while the "big boys" play offense.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

That's a good thing?
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

ehhh.... Not great, IMO. Deng was 4-6 from the floor with Tayshaun on him, and 0-3 with Delfino on him. Tayshaun did a little bit more inside offensively, which was good, but he is still clearly off. Most of his offense was off of nice feeds by Sheed/Chauncey and a Rip alley-oop.
  11. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Nice recap - but this was a little cruel... are you trying to drive poor Linwood crazy?
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't mind getting out rebounded if we have a better offensive rebound total. We bricked 18 more attempts at their basket.
  13. katie2may

katie2may Second Round Draft Pick

nice recaps...

all I was hoping for from the stones in the first half was a little b.m. :laugh:

for a good 10-12 minute stretch, I thought the teams switched jerseys cuz the young bulls moved the ball very well

chitowners should be very excited.. I think their team has a ton of potential
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like exciting basketball. I like 4th quarter heroics. I like defense, blocks, rebounding and clutch shooting. That's why I don't watch the Orlando Magic.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

hey, BroMerc...here's a stat I always have fun with....
    Sheed is a 36% 3ptFG shooter, meaning if he makes 36 of 100, he scores 108 pts.....to score that same amount on 2 PTFG's , he'd have to shoot 54% or make 18 more 2's than 3's:nod: Numbers are funny....my bruddah!:yo:
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I wasn't referring to the end of the game, I was talking about Flip becoming more like LB, because none of the things you just mentioned are on display in LB's current team.

The last thing Detroit needs is for Flip to become more like LB.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wassup HQ,
    Yes this is a valid point... unfortunately we don't get as many offensive rebounds shooting 3's... deep shots also create easy run outs for the other guys... and less FT attempts for us... other than that BOMBS AWAY!!!

It really comes down to how selective you are with your 3's... if you come up and jack one up with 20 secs left on the clock, the defense didn't have to expend any energy and prolly didn't risk getting in foul trouble for the QTR.
    If they moved it around and the choice was a contested shot on the blocks or an open shot from outside then there shouldn't be a question of which is your best option... at least you gave your teammates a chance to set up for an "O" board (LB preferred everything down low).

My preference is no predictability... I'm ok with a quick bomb from CB once or twice a game just to keep em off balance.
    As we said before the inside game sets up the outside game and vice versa.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good analogy Mercury
    I was hoping that Flip would address the Sheed three ball issue and reel him back in. He was 1-5 from beyond the arc and did think about it a couple of times before passing or trying that awkward drive where his shot was way off. Agree that driving to the hoop is going to improve Tay's game and confidence until he gets the long shot back.

I know there has to be a transition between Delk and Arroyo, but our bench should have progressed more so at this juncture of the season, than it has. We all complained about this in December and January, and some said that we would be OK. Face it, this bench is not ready for the playoffs. :frusty:

The Bulls had the same energy they had the night before in Jersey and we looked like we had just come back from the west coast the night before. Lets hope that next two days off get us back in game shape

I will take the needed win and the improved play inside, as well as the dominance on the offensive boards, but overall we have get on the positive side of the overall rebounding battle as well as get some consistence offensive play from the bench ...what?...Flip does not call any plays for them???
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

we only lost the boards because we shot 10% worse than them. someone was wondering why the bulls had more energy early. usually the team that has the advantage in rest will do bad early since they're more rusty, but they'll usually do better at the end of the game since they have more energy.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Your forget to take into account drawing fouls. Assuming Sheed almost never gets fouled taking 3's he's scoring 108 pts per 100 shots. 82 games says Sheed scores 1.7 pts on free throws per game. He shoots 8.0 2-pointers per game, so in a hundred 2 point shots, he'd get an extra 21.3 points from fouls. He also shoots 48% for 2 point shots, which means for 100 2-pt shots, he gets 96 points+21.3 from fouls=117.3

117.3>108, plus he draws fouls on guys.

Sheed, shoot the 2