1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons Vs Bulls ~ March 8th, 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons vs Bulls
    March 8th, 2006 ~ 7:30pm
    The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: Local Only
    Radio: WDFN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your comments?
    ~~

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Beat down at the Palace!

[​IMG]

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

we have no excuses. NONE. we're rested, we're at home, and we're better. who can find a stupid excuse if we lose this one?

4. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

OT, somewhat. Skiles interviewing for a prime Big 10 HC job? Here's hoping he gets it.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My only problem is that I'm in Chicago this week so I'll get the local broadcasters. Red Kerr is such a homer. Fortunately with the DVR I can just fast forward anytime the clock isn't running.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Exactly,
    The Bulls played a tough game last night.
    This small team should be dominated in the paint.
    The bench should show up... MO effort and don't want to hear how smooth Delfino is only to see another goose egg.
    Is this the game that Rip Van-Tayshaun wakes up?
    Put the Bulls to rest
    Cue pic of Bull on a spigot

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Pistons 100
    Bulls 85

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

they have the chicago station here in michigan on 1000 AM, and they also have cleveland's on 1100. shouldn't chicago have any pistons stations? you can hope and see if 1130 works over there, i doubt it though.:ohwell:

9. roscoe36

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Pistons get up for this game...

..and its at home.

Offense should run on all cylnders.

108-96 Detroit!

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Very exciting game. One very big complaint:

David Hall.

The Linwood family enjoys gathering around the AM radio and enjoying an exciting game of basketball. It brings us all closer together. Unfortunately, the Pistons have decided to allow David Hall to buy his way into the broadcast to sell mortgages. I'm not talking about timeouts (allthough he was there too) I'm talking about during the game color commentary. If you hadn't guessed, he sucks at this job. Some examples.

"Yeah, that was a great shot by Chauncey. He is really good."

"The Pistons are really playing exciting basketball."

And then he is selling mortgages all through the game. He even did the post game interview with Rasheed. What's next? is he going to take over as Hallway coach? Should Sidney Lowe be looking over his shoulder?

12. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Before the game, and throughout whenever necessary, Fred McLeod reminded those of us watching on Fox of the Official Excuse For The Night ™: “we all know how hard it is the first game back after a West Coast trip.” It looked in the first quarter like we’d be needing it. Bulls guards were weaving their way around the PisCones as though auditioning for the All-Star Weekend Skills Competition. Meanwhile, on the other end, we were equally cone-like, standing still and missing contested jumper after contested jumper. On the positive side, we seemed a bit more active on the boards, especially on the defensive boards.

The second quarter was marginally better. Lindsey and, especially, Tony Delk came in and started to at least try to make things happen on offense. The defensive energy definitely stepped up in the second quarter and threw some cold water on the Bulls first quarter shooting spree. Tayshaun got a few easy buckets that seemed to enliven him a bit and integrate him into the offense more than he has of late. Sheed missed a couple of early bombs and disappeared after that until the 4th quarter. Evans also came in and hit one triple, showed some good energy on the boards, but didn’t really seem like a big factor. Chauncey had only one dish (I think) in the first half and the team as a whole had far fewer assists than usual: a sign not only of the Bulls’ energy, but of the Pistons’ lack thereof.

The big turnaround, however, came in the third quarter. Tay, who had been having a decent game, banged his knee, and Delfino came in, starved for burn, and came up with two steals and some aggressive offensive play. Meanwhile, the team started actually running an offense and it resulted in some open looks for Chauncey who was able to knock them down. The Pistons really locked down on defense in the third quarter too, allowing only 16 points in the period.

The fourth quarter was INSANE. Pistons go up 10, looking completely solid and in control. On one notable play, Chauncey and Sheed ran their pick and pop at the top of the key, Chauncey looked over to a wide-open Sheed behind the 3 point line, and then went inside to Tayshaun. Tay missed the shot, but that play suggested to me that the Pistons were conscious of trying to get the best shot available or to the line and of only taking the 3s (for the most part) only when they were the best shot (overall, I was pleased to see Tay working to get something other than a jumper and the team looking for him more -- he was 5 for 13 for 10 points). Anyway, then it starts raining triples on the other end of the court. We were doing a lot of scrambling and running out, but to the Bulls’ credit, they kept swinging the ball and eventually someone (Nocioni and Gordon principally) would get an open look from beyond the arc and sink it. I didn’t see a lack of effort on the Pistons’ part, however, and in the final minute and a half, that effort finally prevailed and we got the big stops needed to push us over the top.

When I look at the box score, several things stand out: we were outboarded 42-35, but the Bulls only got 7 offensive boards to our 16. We were out shot 53 % to 44 %, but we got 18 more shots than they did. The shot 56 % from 3 (way higher percentage than the league-leading Pistons usually give up in this category). We shot 17 3s, 1 under our average for the season (Sheed 1-5, Chauncey 4-5). The Bulls also committed 17 turnovers (11 on Pistons’ steals). Finally, despite the atrocious start, the Pistons wound up with 26 assists on 39 buckets. And I have to throw in: whatever legitimate complaints people might have about Flip’s philosophy, there was in this game an undeniable correlation, backed up by the box score, between the team’s increasing their player and ball movement, their taking the lead in the game and keeping it, and the number of assists they racked up. At the same time, it was important to see that in this game that same offensive flow could yield points in the paint (34 for us, 30 for them – I know they are a perimeter team, but still, we got the ball inside, especially at key times, got offensive rebounds, and eventually kept their guards out of the paint).

We saw the kind of intensity from the Bulls that I expect we’ll see from a lot of these “should-win” opponents over the next couple of weeks. They’re trying to get that 8th spot and other teams will be trying to get a better seed and so they’re pumped. Perhaps because it was the rival Bulls, or perhaps for some other reasons as well, the Pistons, after the first quarter, matched that intensity. When they did that, they were clearly in the game and looked little by little like a team that finds ways to win, adapting to what works, leaving out what doesn’t. That’s what we need to keep seeing.

1-800-333-ROCK

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I expected the Pistons to come out blazing and they came out flat. Some inspired urgent play in the third got them back in the game and they still almost blew it with less than inspired defense. They were being out hustled by a team that played last night:doh:

Back on the road Saturday night after two days rest, lets hope we can work on some defensive stops for Arenas and Jamison. This is the rematch game for OT loss earlier in the season. The problem is that 5 of our 11 losses have been on a Saturday.

14. roscoe36

Thank you Scolas, linwood and LA Dre. Posting makes the site go.

15. roscoe36

I only caught the last 3 minutes of this one. What a thriller. Every day, in so many little ways, Flip becomes Larry Brown. ;)

Great clutch scoring down the stretch from CB, Rip and Sheed. Particularly Rip who doesn't get enough credit for his 4th quarter production.

Bulls hate us. But hate alone is not enough. You must have the Zen of the Sheed. The power of the Smooth. The relentless attack of the Hollywood Hamilton.

Oh, and the Pistons DIDN'T GET ANY TECHS!

16. roscoe36

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Thanks Roscoe and Co.

Great recap Scolas. Big ben gets the big block. It may not be the display of domination we like to see but these close games are great. It keeps their edge honed.

Rock on!!!

18. max

max All-Star

Out Hustled? Pistons took what 20 more shots because of offensive boards?

The shots just were not falling tonight. And they were for the Bulls. Team did go inside a lot to go along with all the 2nd chance opportunities.

But all some choose to see were Gordan and Niocioni. They were hitting some tough shots. Chandler has been abusing everyone on the offensive glass. Thats about the only thing he is good at but it did not happen that game.

For the record Teams usually start sluggish after a West coast swing. Even if it was only 2 games and with the extra day.

49-11 - yea the skys falling.

19. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

A salute to all from Italy, this is my first one post and ....it coincides with one success. I want to only say that unfortunately i have been able to follow the match by livescore of the Cbs and only mourn not to have been able to see the beautiful fourth end

Ciao nene:)

20. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Great post Scolas. Now THAT'S a recap! :attention :whip:

Da Bulls have the making of a great team. Their coach seems to know what he's doin too. Heinrich, Gordon, Deng, Nocioni and Chandler look like they're gellin. I like that Nocioni fella. In fact, I like all their starters. I wouldn't mind having any of them commin off our bench. :eyebrows: :nod: