Pistons @ Timberwolves Weds. February 1st 2006

Discussion in 'February 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Jan 25, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. roscoe36

Alrighty folks,

GAME CHAT IS OPEN.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

Ok, thats more like it. Not good enough. But more like it. Ben was still kept out there too long, especially on a back to back. Flip does not know what he is doing with Ben. Much more of this, and Ben is going to have some bad games from dead legs. But other than that, he did pretty good.

Arroyo came in with time left in the 3rd quarter yet, and just stayed right out there. Evans and Dyess I believe played about the whole 4th. Our bench got 39 minutes in the first half too.

Our bench scored quite a bit. Dyess had around what, 13 or so. Delfino 11 I think. Arroyo 6. Evans 3. Darko 2. Note, each game of late, Darko takes one shot. Just one. And always cans that shot. Just to show us fans he can shoot. Start believing it. Nobody without serious talent comes out in garbage time for several games in a row and hits their only shot attempt.

In garbage time, the team tried to go to Maxiell as much as possible, but JMAX did not get any points for us tonight. Delfino took it in for a fantastic reverse dunk in traffic. Lucky for Minny none of their players went thru the hoop with that one. And that one shot by Darko. Madsen was up on Darko. Madsen is too short. So Darko did just what he does in practice, a nice high arcing shot. Swoosh, nothing but net. Sweet string music. We want more.

Tay was our big scorer in the first quarter. A couple of 3's, a pull up jumper on a fast break, a cut inside. On this cut inside, two players challenged him but he threw it down strong and got the and one. Some shorter jumpers. And one rebound followed by a drive all the way down to the basket for a score. Tay flat out had it going on. So many times, other teams just don't have an answer for Tay.

Rip scored right around 20. Good efficient scoring. Hitting midrangers, and getting right to the bucket too. Yep, he kind of reverted back a bit to the turnover prone Rip, but hopefully that is not a trend.

Arroyo played for a few minutes with the starters to end the 3rd. (Dyess came in too at the end there.) Basically, this unit did not look comfortable with each other. Kind of to be expected though since Arroyo has played so few minutes like that. But a trend just might be developing. Thats 3 times now recently Arroyo has got such time. The Pistons need him to do a lot more of it.

Sheed had his outside shot working tonight. CB scored some. The starters took a 10 point lead to start the 3rd and ran the lead to 22 at one point. I think Arroyo came in at 16 up. We had a 20-2 run in the first half, started by Arroyo at the end of the 3rd, and carried on by Billups until around 3 minutes left in the half. Evans was playing some good defense during this run. Thats twice he has been quite effective defensively vs. Minny.

Arroyo hit, I don't know, a leaner I guess, as he got away from the defense pretty close in. He hit one outside shot after that. He just barely missed a triple after that. In the 2nd half, he got to the line and made both free throws. There is another trend, Arroyo has not missed a free throw of late. I think he has canned 10 straight now. Delfino also made both of his.

Delfino also had a very impressive drive in in the first half. He came in from the right, and hooked it in lefty after passing the hoop. Quite impressive. And then a triple.

Evans only hoop was in garbage time. Still nice to see him hit that pull up jumper though. He also made one of two at the line after he got headhunted. He did some rebounding for us and had a couple of steals too. Still no positive effect from when he handles the ball, although they keep letting him work on it with several touches.

Dyess got most of his from the outside tonight, two or three off the usual pick and rolls between Arroyo and him. I guess you could say pick and pop. (I use to call them pick and rolls whether I rolled in toward the basket or rolled out to the perimeter.)

Man, I love seeing Delfino getting back into the rotation. One exciting ball player. I noticed he often was the first option to bring the ball up in garbage time. He uses that height to see over the defenders and make the long lead pass. If nothing there, the ball goes to Arroyo for him to bring it up.

I was saving Ben for last, then oops, I forgot him. Ok, Ben certainly did not have a forgettable game. But we fans of Detroit do often forget him, as what he does he does so darn consistently. Tonight, he went a few notches above his usual. Around 16 boards. A few blocks, a couple of steals. On one trip, I think he came away with 4 offensive rebounds. I think that ended in a triple by Rip. (It was Rip. I think it was a triple.) Ben did not score in this game. Arroyo gave him one last alley oop attempt just before Ben left the game, but he did not convert the pass. Oh well, we don't need Ben scoring points. I liked what Ben did on that sequence. He kept kicking the ball up, breaking the heart of the other team and making them defend us thru another set.

Ben did try to score a few times, but had no luck going inside against Garnett for instance. Hey, I still like him getting the practice anyway.

More on Arroyo. Despite what some might perceive as some problems on Arroyo's part on his decision making, he himself was not having a bad game. Those starters do not know Arroyo, just as he does not know them all that well. Still, Arroyo took a tie game, or was he down a couple when he came in, and handed CB a 4 point lead when he came back in 6 minutes later in the first half. And when he came in in the 2nd half, the lead went up, not down. Arroyo was not doing that bad. Billups too occasionally can't get any plays to work. What does he do? He hits some shots of his own. On three occasions, Arroyo did just that, got his own offense going. Arroyo still slipped some assists in there. And here is the kicker. Anyone notice any 3's going up while Arroyo is in? Not many. The play keeps going inside. Contrast that to Billups running the show last night. Triple after triple try. Please, please look for the positives sometimes.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment, except GO PISTONS!!!!!
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: game report

FP22 recap: Delfino is impressive yet again. Ben Wallace is a monster. Tayshaun is back (I hope). All is well.
  5. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I just watched the highlights on NBA.com and then it all made sense, this game was at home we have the Superbowl in town and half of the stars were at the game. Everyone in chat was complaining about starter’s minutes when they (the starters) were probably complaining too. This was a chance for the boys to show all the guys that will be playing in the Superbowl that they are the best at their sport.

Think about it you got Cowher sitting next to Davidson you got Bettis and the boys in the stands do you really think that they wanted the game to even be close??? Hell no they wanted a blowout. They will all be hangin out tonight after the game at some posh restaurant and Big Ben will be huggin on Big Ben sayin "I hope I play as good as you on Sunday"

There were more Celebs at this game than at the finals last year. IMO I am glad Flip let the boys run the wolves in the ground let the starters have some fun. Hell Flip is probably hangin with Cowher right now talking about what they want to do with the trophies they win this year.
  6. roscoe36

Only in Detroit can a player score 0 points in 36 minutes, badly airball his only two free throws and leave to a standing ovation.

Ben is absolutely an icon. Enjoy it. It happens once in a generation.

And because Ben was so amazing, I've attached a nice desktop background onto this post.

FEAR THE FRO

Attached Files:

7. DReDD

DReDD Second Round Draft Pick

awesome wallpaper micro
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, great background, thanks Micro. :thumb:

But while we're on the subject, I've just got to ask... what's the deal with your Avatar man? That thing scares the crap out of me. Is that a baby or something? I know its supposed to look like Flash, but what the heck?!?!
    :confused:

I've been seeing that thing in my nightmares ever since you made the switch! I'll be having a nice dream about the Pistons winning the Championship or Nicole Kidman or something and then all of a sudden WHAMO, Flash Baby pops in!
    :laugh:
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ricky Davis doesn't do much against the Pistons. Either does Garnett really. Who here would trade more than 1 starter for Garnett? He'd have to come off the bench for us.

By the way, as sweet as that Delfino dunk was, it would have been blocked if the Minnesota defender didn't get his hand caught in the net. Good game by Los though.

This was one of the easiest games I've seen this year. 1 big run and it was all over. No drama at the end thanks to Ben and Arroyo pushing the lead. It was probably a fun game to go to if you are in town playing in the Super Bowl.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's a great picture, micro. It's definitely my wallpaper now. How about another one with all the starters?

Great game. Would be more satisfied if Flip played Darko more minutes. Else, starters did what they have to do after losing the Nets game. Bench was great game. Another positive game by Delfino, on both ends. Don't know what else he needs to do to get consistent minutes from Flip.

If there are any Chinese reading this, 'HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR' and to the rest, 'HAVE A GREAT DAY AHEAD'.
  11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Outside of his "Flu days" he was getting consistant minutes. Flip just likes to use Mo Evans with Arroyo, and then bring in Delfino when Chauncey comes back in to finish up the half. Since Delfino and Arroyo, for some reason, don't seem to play that well together.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

scariest thing I've seen since The EXorcist!!!!my bruddah:laugh:
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

AhhhhSOOO>>>>I think I wanna see Darko go for 15 minutes this weekend...Lets hope so...He and Delf are our X-factors!!!my bruddah!
  14. roscoe36

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing I remember from watching the Bulls' 72 & 10 season (or any of their championship seasons for that matter) was that one of the players key measures of success was how little of the fourth quarter they had to play. I think they felt like they hadn't performed well if at least Jordan and Pippen weren't wrapped in towels with at least six to go.

Yeah, I hear above about lots of celebs in the stands and everyone wanting to play in front of them, but hey, the football folks were already at the bar by the middle of the fourth. The Pistons had a couple of starters on the bench fairly early, but there were some notable exceptions. Partly it's about giving them rest, but it's also a lot about not having the 10th man on someone else's bench shove Ben a bit the wrong way and have him come down and strain a knee. It's also a lot about giving the bench minutes that count. Sure you're up 20, but the second string will surely hear about it the next day if they haven't kept the lead. You can just imagine what Jordan would have said to the 8th guy if he had to take the wrap off and come back in for the last couple of minutes to preserve the win.

Plus, those early exits sure give the fans something to cheer about.

Regardless though, great game to watch - Rasheed under control and playing some monster D, Ben just changing the game time and again, and some decent stints off the bench. The next streak has begun...
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

great D by mo in the 2nd quarter. thought this was gonna be the 1st game all year i didn't watch, but WB re-broadcast it :D i was busy getting T'ed up in my company's basketball league hehe. sweet wallpaper micro. maybe the refs let the game get that physical because of all the football guys in the audience?
  17. Iluvdelfino

Iluvdelfino Second Round Draft Pick

Re: game report

I love how Delfino can enter the game and the whole feel of the game changes to excitement and then he delivers like whoa. His dunk.... Sweet. I was at the game and had sweet tickets. I was mad because I made a Delfino sign and was wearing my #20 jersy and they didn't show me at all. I thought they would have after he hit the three or his dunk.... oh well.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

right on, micro. ben is somebody special. His play is what makes everthing else go smoothly.