Important Pistons Summer League - Orlando - 2014

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 28, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There was none of that in the 4th quarter today. Reggie Jackson took over and no one could guard him. Siva tried. English tried. Drummond was no help on the screen and roll. The 3 rookies just sat there and watched instead of playing help D. Jackson scored 23 points in the 4th quarter alone, at one point scoring 18 straight Thunder points. It was like LeBron against the Pistons in the playoffs. Not pretty at all.

The highlight was KCP breaking out with 19 points, including a huge 3-pointer at the end.

Tony Mitchell was pretty much invisible in this game.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like the No Flip-Flop Era.
  3. BillLaimbeer

I think you have to be careful and call it the "No Flip-Flops Era." Don't want to confuse it with the recent Flip Era or Flop Era.
    linwood likes this.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

You make an excellent point.
  5. BillLaimbeer

A Tweet from a sportswriter today: "Victor Oladipo is the best player on Orlando's summer league team by such a large margin I can't even describe it in 140 characters or le..."
    linwood, BallDon'tLie and coynejeremy like this.
  6. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Nonsense. It depends how you judge maturity, right from the get-go. He is going to be good and has an awful high dribble for a PG. Still, they have to keep Harkless at the SG (I would too) and Oladipo easily outdistances Udrih and Nelson. PG for him.
    The OKC and Orlando clubs are loaded.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was talking about the summer league team.
    jayborne likes this.
  8. pass99

That pretty much sums it up. Jackson went off for a record 35 pts...at 6-3. Drummond was roaming around all over the place. Terrible coaching. Plus, Mitchell best put some high volume work on his jump shot this year.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

Jackson hasn't played a lot of minutes, but he does have 2 seasons in the NBA under his belt. He filled in nicely for OKC during this year's playoffs. He just had a vibe about him today like he was the best player on the court and no one was going to stop him. When a guy scores 18 straight points, something is going wrong in the coaching department.
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Siva would have Smith and Drummond protecting the paint, so that would cover for some of his defensive deficiencies. He's a true PG and can get shots for others. 7 assists with 1 turnover today. Lucious only showed that he can score.
  11. pass99

Within this frame of reference (about Reggie Jackson going off), I would take his backup and at the same time during the game, his equal co-partner: Dwight Buycks. He just needs the right moment and the right team. He is no rookie and has multiple aspects of the game at his command. JD has his certain comfort levels and when he starts reaching, a different panic level sets in. He let a France addition get away and now has settled on Italy. Datome, lacks lateral quickness and would have a hard time in this years Summer League. A smaller handed version of Walter Herrmann. Who is giving him information on over-seas players? Tony R. again?
  12. BillLaimbeer

How do you know he lacks lateral quickness? You may be correct, but what is your source?

I am intrigued by this guy. He was the MVP of an entire league and one of the best 3-point shooters in all of Europe. There were 4-5 other NBA teams interested in him. He can't make us any worse.
    mikhail1973 and roscoe36 like this.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Excellent use of Twitter.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I just watched the Boston game.Middleton impressed me as much as anyone with his ball handling. He was in during our best run, which was by and large directly due to his handling of the ball and getting it smartly into the post. Our Mitchell looked pretty darn good, leading the game in rebounds. The Tony Mitchel now playing for Boston looked pretty good too. Both very athletic players. Ours though is a legitimate post defender. Is the other Tony Mitchell already signed with Boston - if not, we should invite him to camp this fall.

Siva has very limited NBA potential, because he can't knock down free throws well enough for a guard, let alone have any kind of outside shot at all. Still can't believe they resigned Bynum though. Even if Siva scores never, I still rather have someone come in and play defense. Lucious by the way did look a lot better than Siva out there, and his outside shooting ability helped set up what run we did have in the 2nd quarter.

I can't recall the name of the big that was out there for us during that run. Had not heard his name before. Something like Harris maybe, or some other common name like that.

Kravstov looked ok out there. Good active feet on defense. Some inside scoring. Came close to getting a couple of dunks off Siva passes, only the timing of the passes was off.

Pope looked ok in this one. I guess they call him KC Pope, or KCP. Defense solid, made an outside shot, drove and got to the foul line some. Unfortnately, he had the only five points for the Pistons in just about the whole first quarter. The Pistons competed well for the 2nd quarter and about half the 3rd to cut the lead to 10 before the bottom fell out. Boston hit a bunch of outside shots in this one.

Speaking of outside shots, a big for us named Peterson did nail a couple of 3's for us in this one.

Worst performance of the night goes to English, who looked like he basically sat out a year from competitive ball. Oh, thats right, he pretty much did. Could not hit a shot, of which he took a slew. I understand that English is not assured a spot on the team now that Bynum is signed. Don't like it.

PS, I heard we signed a good outside shooter from Italy. Will look for confirmation on that here. Catch you later.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I've heard he was the best FA in the Euroleague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (look who's in the game f00!s?!?!)
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I still can't quite follow your logic and what it is based on.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I had to stop watching midway and d something else. Josh Smith! yeah baby! From Maxiel and CV to Josh Smith and Luigi. That's something to look forward to. Ok. back to SL. Everyone keeps harping on Drummonds starter minutes. unless he takes a quantum leap, he's still a guy that should come off the bench and do amazing things. I don't know the factors in all this but he seemed to get the ball a lot farther from the paint. He put it on the floor and tried to do his best Harold Minor and only ended up mimicking Ben Gordon (or Daye) with the turnovers.

Mitchell is getting the ball too far from the rim. He's not skilled enough to dribble in traffic and smart enough not to try unlike AD1.

No one on this team can set a decent pick. No one can show hard defending the pick. I can see the scrubs blowing that but Drummond should know and do better.

KCP is getting into the cadence of the games and is defrosting. Good hands caused a steal and a break away dunk that is a true highlight.

Siva is going to Europe. He's got a reverse pivot. BK doesn't have that. He had one sequence where he had to switch on the PnR and was guarding a big guy. His post defense was real savy and caused a turnover. He's got game but he's not at Bynum's level yet. neither guy can fight through a screen.

English: I hope he doesn't get cut. He doesn't shine in scrimmages where raw ability carries you over the chaos but he knows where to go in the flow of things and his handle and passing is good.

English and Middleton will benefit from being around the Pistons vs. summer league. Its apparent that these guys won't carry you but as defense react to Monroe and Smith, there will be seams for these guys to operate and get some buckets. 4th and 5th options are what these guys are. As long a KCP gets some burn, he'll do ok. I think we'll see him come around late in the season. Mitchell is a D leaguer. He needs an identity beyond mean looking athletic guy.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Anyone that can sing Johnny Cash doesn't deserve to get cut. This video is the highlight of the Pistons 2012-13 season.

19. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no game today right?
    Bummer, it's kind of nice watching a Piston game every night again, and keeping an eye on my man Sheed on the sidelines.....
    linwood and Slippy like this.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He is the most charismatic personality out there...even with Drummond getting gushed over all the time.