Pistons Summer League...in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Daye is the SL GOAT. He puts up great stat lines every year and when it's regular season he's back to being this guy again:

[​IMG]

He could average 35/10/7 in the SL and it wouldn't change my mind about him. He needs to put together a long stretch of good games in the regular season to do so.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought of this quote watching the highlights of last nights game when I saw the Pistons and Daye get scored on easily inside and Daye went into is head shaking routine while he went to inbound the ball.

He is too tall and the pressure of being 6'11 kills him because/when he can't do the things that a normal 6'11 player can. Hopefully the great Arnie Kander can find a way to shrink him this year.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

At this point, Daye is a better player than Yancy Gates (...and he SHOULD be) but I'd rather see Gates' name on the back of a Piston jersey next season.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Plus, if they sign Gates, the Pistons might get some endorsement deals from his dad (Bill).
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just pictured Arnie in a sweater vest ranting about shrinkage.

:greenapple:
  6. BillLaimbeer

Arnie does know how to make people shrink. Mike Abdenour used to be 6'10" before Arnie shrunk him.

[​IMG]
    linwood likes this.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like everyone is trying to make the A team this morning as the rookies and wanabees have put up 53 pts in the first half vs the Celtics (36)

All three draft picks have contributed including Kris Middleton who has finally shown up. Drummond looked good early and is probably further along than the Piston brass thought. Kendall Gill thinks he is holding his right hand at the wrong part of the ball when shooting FT's hopefully the coaches recognize and see if the can correct that situation. Singler is sitting this game out since he had a heavy European play the past few months..
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Knight had a nice game today, 19p in 5-11 (9-10 from the line), 14 assist, 6 turnovers, 3 boards and 2 steals. His handle looks improved and the reason he's overdribbling is probably partly because he's able to now and trying it out in the SL. He also looks like he's spent alot of time in the gym, he's FIT.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Fun game. Fast paced, mostly non-sloppy game.

After having a game to forget yesterday, Brandon responded and produced one to remember. Granted, it's summer league, but he was excellent today. His only notable flaw was the 6 turnovers but the 14 assists more than offset that, and he turned it over trying to find the open guy most of the time, so I'm ok with that. He did a little bit of everything (got a double double for his efforts) and did a good job controlling the pace, running the team, and got to the line well (10 FTAs). He also went left quite a bit; this was not something he did often in the regular season. Of note was how he made a concerted effort to get Andre (and really all the bigs) the ball in position to score as well. He also climbed the stairs to get that one block he had (blocked a jumper). Very good all around game for our point guard.

Good game once again for Andre. He did a good job containing Sullinger in the first half especially and overall, holding Sully to 2 of 9 shooting - and this was a guy who was pretty hot coming into this game. He pretty much neutralized Melo too whenever they were matched up. Nice rebounding numbers as well, ending with 8 (7 defensive, was considered a weakness). As Dre mentioned, Andre does seem to be further along than the organization (and I) thought. I think he can be a good defender right off the bat (barring the inevitable rookie whistle), and he showed off a little bit more of his offensive arsenal with a hook shot, that short jumper, and nice passing ability. He did get a little frustrated with the calls at the end, but I'm ok with that. I'd rather he get mad than look like he doesn't care, which was a big knock on him coming in (again, overblown imo).

Austin came back to earth a little bit offensively (5 of 14 today) but defensively he was active, didn't shy away from contact and used his length to alter and block a bunch of shots (led the team with 5). He was a little bit hesitant on his shot again, but mostly made good decisions when he passed it off.

Kim's shot came back a little bit, and defensively again, he was very good. Vince Ellis mentioned he reminded him of Spellcheck, and I agree.

Middleton finally decided to join the party, showing off that pretty jumper, and hit on all his shots. Suppose part of his problem before was he was playing with the more offensively challenged bench crew where the spacing was pretty bad. Today he got the ball in spots he was comfortable at, and probably knowing he'd get more time on the floor with Kyle sitting out helped too, as he wasn't pressing.

Richard got his first taste of action today, and proved himself a pretty solid spot up shooter.

Gates and Macklin played well.

Casper Ware is a quick little bugger.
    The Panda, LA Dre and roscoe36 like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Is there any chance Macklin will be a Piston again....or is there just no room?

I think Brandon Knight has a tough job trying to orchestrate all of this mish mash of guys with very little preparation of knowing new people or having any sort of offense.
  11. BallDon'tLie

I was thinking yesterday about how if you factored contracts and salaries into the equation, the Summer League roster looks way more attractive to me than the actual big-league Detroit Pistons.

If you simply added Greg Monroe and Jonas Jerebko to the summertime guys, you could basically replace all of the vets and clear about 75% of the salary cap in the process.

It might look something like this:
    PG: Knight, Ware, Will Bynum (-$3.3mm)
    SG: English, Middleton, Rod Stuckey (-$8.5mm)
    SF: Singler, Daye, Jerbko, Tayshaun Prince (-$6.7mm), Correy Maggette (-$11mm)
    PF: Monroe, Gates, Jason Maxiel ($5.5mm), Charlie Villanueava (-$8mm)
    C: Drummond, Kravtsov, Macklin

As currently constructed, the Pistons aren't going to make the playoffs next year.
    This roster wouldn't either but they'd do it for $44 million dollars less and would be way more fun to watch.
    You could use the year to see who stays and who sucks.
    You'll get a high lottery pick next year along with having about $35 - $40 million to spend in free agency in 2013 (and/or beyond).

It's really too bad that the amnesty clause can't be used on 6 players.

...or

Will Bynum could be extradited to Turkey to serve the remainder of his jail sentence.
    Rod Stuckey could retire and accept a lucrative contract to work at CERN.
    Tay Prince could be traded back to his home Clippers for 3 future 1st round picks.
    Correy Maggette could retire and write instructional books on how to get to the free throw line.
    Jason Maxiel could opt-out of the final year of his contract due to feeling guilty for basically stealing money from the Pistons the last few years.
    Charlie Villanueava could have his contract terminated due to a "weight and conditioning" clause that went previously unnoticed by management.
    S.J., raxrets and Mogilny like this.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

1. Will Bynum expires at the end of the season.
    2. Stuckey only signed a 3 year deal, he's a solid player for the price.......I doubt we would have any trouble trading him IF we wanted to. I don't want to.
    3. Tayshuan Prince, can easily be traded for an expiring.
    4. Corey Maggette is an expiring contract.
    5. Jason Maxiel is an expiring contract.
    6. CV can be amnestied.
    There really aren't any free agent targets available this year who can help this team anyways (unless you wanted to give Eric Gordon a max contract), so cap space is useless for us.
  13. BallDon'tLie

This was a big fat make-believe scenario I was pondering KG. ...nothing more than my imagination running wild./
    I was merely saying that I'd rather watch the young dudes than the same-old same-old that has been owning the bottom end of the lottery and runnin coaches out of town for the last 4 years.

1. Im sick of watching Will Bynum. Been there done that.
    2. I think a lot of teams would like to have Stuckey as a back-up but few are going to want to pay him at his current level for 2 more years.
    3. Yes, I think Tay has some appeal to other teams. His contract is a little steep but I think another team might pay it.
    4. Maggette's expiring contract isn't doing anything for us THIS season and he's clogging up the roster in front of 3 other young SGs that desperately need playing time.
    5. The future is now, the past is yesterday. Hopefully Max and Maggette can net us some picks to make up for the one we had to give Charlotte to take Ben Gordon off of our hands.
    6. ...and he should be! I'm so sick of looking at this guy!
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Lottery pick would go to Char.... :P
  15. BillLaimbeer

The pick is lottery-protected in 2013, top-eight protected in 2014, top-one protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Summer League stats after 4 games:

2. Knight 14.5
    T3. English, Singler 10.0
    5. Drummond 7.8

Rebounds:
    1. Daye 6.5
    2. Drummond 6.3
    3. Macklin 5.0
    T4. English, Gates 4.0

Assists:
    1. Knight 7.3
    2. English 2.0
    3. Ware 1.8
    4. Daye 1.3

Blocked Shots:
    T1. Daye, Drummond 2.3

Steals:
    1. Drummond 1.5
    2. Daye, Knight 1.3
    3. Singler 1.0

Box scores, recaps, video highlights: NBA.com - 2012 NBA Summer League
  17. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Daye is dominating..........
  18. BillLaimbeer

The difference between summer league and the NBA is Knight and Daye.
    del and BallDon'tLie like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Daye looked slightly more formidable in the ESPN highlights that I saw (physically).

Good to hear that Knight bounced back so forcibly from the last game, which means that he cares.

Also great to know that Drummond held another big name to poor shooting. His blocks are there, so looking forward to seeing him on the floor with Monroe to see how they cover for each other's weaknesses.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Good game. Austin kept his head in the game and did the little things that sometimes result in big plays. And he came up big several times. Its a far cry for the doe eyed lost kid of last season. If he can just keep his focus, he'll do ok. He'll get out quicked, out foxed and out played but he'll also make enough good things happen to balance that out.

Knight did well obviously. He was just real sloppy yesterday and that funked up his mojo. His handle was tighter. It will be interesting to see him play with better talent. There is still several months before the season so I expect even more improvement overall.

Yancy Gates reminds me of Maxiell with the look of Ben Wallace. He'd probably do similar things (sans highlight reel) but at a lower price tag.

Drummond: I don't know if I can remember a summer league where we weren't picked apart and dunked on all the time. Drummond, Gates and Macklin and even Daye did well for the most part. Drummond's foot work is ugly and works against him but he's battled down low and rebounded well and he's got a good attitude.

English: I'm going to get irritated by this guy but gotta love his defense and shooting. He doesn't hesitate. He's open he's shooting. That will help the team a lot.

Middleton: showcased his fluidity and shot. I'm thinking d-league or overseas.

Singler: So the coach calls a time out and Kyle steps out to slap hands with the players and he's instantly the best guy on the floor.