Pistons/Sixers 1st Round Game 5, April 29th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 28, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No waaayyyyyy!

:MusicBigGrin:

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Yup, and it only took 5 games to do it. Not bad. Seems like the insertion of Maxiell has ratcheted up the intensity. If McDyess hadn't had his nose busted, Maxiell would still be coming off the bench. Seems like a lot of forumites called for Dyess' benching a while ago. With Arvis tossing up bricks, Dyess can be THE MAN again coming off the bench. Although the bench was lackluster on the scoring front tonight.

Favorite stat: Pistons had 12 blocked shots.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tay will do whatever the team needs without complaining or drawing attention to himself. Although he has a different physique, he is in many ways the Joe Dumars of this team. Quiet, but respected. Humble, hard working, and most importantly, smart. Usually guards the other team's best player. Can handle the ball. He can play inside or out depending on the matchup. Oh yeah, he also inherited an incredible work ethic and sense of pride from his father. Just remember these games when he happens to have a few off nights here and there where his shot isn't falling.

Other than complimenting TP, not sure I have a lot to say that hasn't been said. Flip seems to be fearing having Jarvis on the floor... and Lindsey... and pretty much every single bench players except Stuckey, Dyess, and maybe Afflalo. If it were up to me, Dixon and Herrmann would replace Lindsey and Hayes next series and we'd go deep into the depth chart to wear teams down with our energy.

Just one quick thought on the game tonight. We out shot them. Rebounds were even. Turnovers were even. They shot twice as many free throws as we did. That was canceled out by us blocking more shots than they blocked of ours. The shot attempts were very close.

We outshot them for 2 reasons. 1) we were on fire, and 2) we defended the fast break well despite our high number of turnovers.

If #1 doesn't happen, then #2 becomes a lot more difficult. What I'm trying to say is that next game can easily be a loss if we shoot poorly, which I'm ashamed to admit is pretty similar to what Flip Saunders has been saying.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When is someone going to give us that red "X" over the number "3"?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, this service is outrageous!

6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Now that is funny.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Like I said in the other thread, I think we should be counting down from 16 to 1 intead of 1 to 16

16,15, and14 would be crossed off as it appears at the Palace so that we know how many games left for the ring!

8. max

max All-Star

Yes you can't take anything for granted which I don't think the Pistons are going to do that in game 6. They came into this series after not having played a serious game in a few weeks and were challenged by a very scrappy team. Probably the best thing that could have happened to them. Now everyone is starting to gell again and get on the same page. Getting back to playing Pistons basketball.

Billups and Rip are back, big time. Prince continues his phenominal play. And the 2 energy players Dyess and Maxiel are spurring the team on. When Dyess came back from that broken nose and would not let the team quit in game 4 I really think that was the turning point in this series and in their playoff run.

21 points and 11 assists by Billups. Its hard to say who the player of the game was but I will give this one to him.

You gotta love the way Sheed, Dyess and Maxiel have been protecting the hoop. Making Dalembert look like a clown, not that he needs any help with the new dew. As Kelser said on the local broadcast - Maxiel was getting better as the game went on. When the Sixer forwards were sucking wind, he was getting better. Showing them how its supposed to be done. Some of you may not know this but Maxiel has the same wing span as a 7'er.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Meaningless series stats

Rasheed Wallace has 20 Blocks in this series thru 5 games including six tonight!! He didn' get any in thec game 4 win and still has 20. If he can continue to average 4 blocks a game and more than 15 pts a game, then look out Sammy, Dhoward and KG!!

Prince has been the most consistent scorer shooting over 77% the last three games

As Lee predicted we needed AA to win and it was good that Flip switched traded some inconsistence offense of hayes for the defensive presence of Alf!

Starting Max has been good too...I would stick with it Flip!!

Only real negative in this series besides the two losses are the TO's and we need to get back down to our season average of under 12.

All smiles tonight on the Detroit local sports shows tonight as Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings all win!!

10. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Fantastic game from some focused Pistons!

In this game it was Chauncey who had the hot hand early, and he could have easily scored 30+ if he looked for his own the entire game like Miller and Iggy did for the Sixers. But he still looked to get others involved and the result was a balanced Pistons attack versus what looked like a one-dimensional Sixers offense. AI2 had his best game of the series but it looked like he was their only option out there.

I loved this game's rotation and sub pattern. IF we are going to get Amir involved later in the playoffs then it seems like he better get some serious minutes in Game 6 to wipe off that rust. He almost hurt himself biting on a Jason Smith shot fake.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I kinda miss the "faces" concept. :)

12. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

This team is maddeningly frustrating w/ its Jekyll and Hyde personality. 14 qtrs of garbage followed by 6 qtrs of high quality bball. When the Pistons are on its hard to imagine anyone beating them. When they are off they completely mail it in and look terrible, not just average. It's almost like all the starters (Tay excluded in this series, Sheed to an extent) agree to bomb at the same time or perform at the same time. Why can't they play like Game 5 every night?

13. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

If it ain't rough...:sssh:

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not sure why people keep forgetting that the Pistons did, in fact, play 4 very good quarters in Game 2. They were clicking from start to finish in that game. It doesn't change the overall point, which I think we all agree on--their inconsistency is still dangerous and frustrating--but let's at least get our facts straight.

15. anakin

My mistake. The bad performances i.e. Game 1. Game 3 and Game 4.5 (1st half) have been really bad and sub-consciously left a deeper mark in my mind.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, "14 quarters of garbage" is quite the inaccuracy. Actually, in Game 1, the Pistons played great in the first half, leading 51-38 at the intermission. It was a long time ago (a week), though, so I can see how you could forget....:pound:

17. anakin

Quit bustin my chops Bill.:)

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Brilliant move by Flip bring AA in to the game. If you were watching closely you'd have noticed Mo Cheeks, too distracted to coach, constantly looking over to the Pistons' bench to see if Amir was also coming in. (If you missed this you'll probably catch it today in your slo-mo film review.)

What team out there doesn't need to hit shots to win? Flip's problem is he goes no deeper than this.

I think DET should have been awarded 3 points when Young tipped the ball into the Pistons' basket. Sheed let go of the ball from outside the line and Young was in the air when he touched it. That, my friends, is a 3 pointer. Another Davis Stern conspiracy if you ask me.

How many players can hit 4 3's in a quarter one game (Even if he shouldn't have taken them.) and then block 6 and 7 shots in another?

Dyess has been working out off the bench, but I think I'd switch it back next series presuming there is one............

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The rule also says that the basket goes to the closest player. So, the bucket is CB's, who was obviously inside the arc. The only way that it would have been a 3 would have been if it were a tipped shot.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't see how that could be a 3-pointer. alley oops from behind the line are not.

the palace was rocking last night. it was an early game, people were waiting in line for bobbleheads and there was a lot of traffic, so it wasn't full right away, but the crowd was into it the whole time and never let up.

maxiell is for real, and his legs are there, and we should be encouraged. philly has no answer for max being the starter, and dyess with fresh legs completely annihilates reggie evans who had his worst game of the series.

stuckey was great. that quick pass to dyess with the shot clock winding down was a veteran move. he made smart decisions with the ball and continues to follow his own misses. before the game started i told my buddy 'please let jarvis ride the pine the rest of the series and let afflalo take his place', and lo' and behold it happens. afflalo was incredible last night - solid defense, steals, made baskets, forced turnovers and bad shots, and contested everything. i'd be surprised to see jarvis thursday. if anything, herrmann is a much better match against philly.