Pistons/Sixers 1st Round Game 3, Fri April 25th 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 24, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

B/c our coach is an idiot.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dude, come on. I usually agree with you, but you are going too far. Philly is playing rookies and young boys and beating us. We used to be playing our rookies and young boys off the bench, and they showed themselves generally capable of hanging with guys more experienced and more talented than the 76'ers. So it should easily follow that we should play our young players and get good production out of them. You are talking like we are playing a team of Michael Jordans, and so of course we are losing. We are playing a tough Phily team that we can beat, but are not. If the starters are having trouble, it does not logically follow that the backups can't contribute. So get off it already. Flip seems to be majorly choking here.

You say that the coach can't motivate primadonna multimillionaires. Well, every year, coaches ARE doing it, around the league. Every year, a team gets motivated enough to win the championship, and if they could do it without a coaching staff to help motivate them, then GMs wouldn't be spending money on the coaches. If the coaches can't motivate millionaire athletes, then they should be fired and replaced by the many coaches that can.

With that said, I had a great evening. While the Pistons were playing, I was eating awesome sushi at a cool place here in Provo. I'm so glad that they weren't showing the game at the bar during our dinner.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Of course you can. Phil Jackson did. If you recall, Game 2 in the 2004 NBA Finals - the Lakers' only win of the series, having found nothing in his stars, he played the then-unproven Luke Walton, who sparked a comeback, giving Kobe the chance to tie in regulation and force OT, going on to win. No one's asking these kids to be saviors, but if they can provide a spark, energize the vets - that can sometimes mean the difference between winning and losing.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LA Piston, the resting of the starters those last 5-6 games may have backfired. Instead of sitting them on the bench for two quarters, Flip should have been giving everyone equal minutes the whole game by playing 3 starters and 2 zoo and 2 starters and 3 zoo crew. Instead the two groups never played together consistently because Flip would not substitute early in the first or third quarter until the starters had played darn near 10 minutes...and then at least 2 of them..Tay and CB or Tay and Rip would play the whole qtr and then the first 2 mins of the 2nd or 4th...this was the same pattern every game unless someone was in foul trouble.

Now instead of putting the younguns out there, he his going with OLD guys in Theo and Hunter and only playing Stuckey who is playing as bad as CB.....:sssh:
  5. max

max All-Star

I am glad you still have faith. Still think there is a secret weapon out there that can propell the Pistons into the Finals if only the coach would recognize it.

Me. I am not so optomistic.

I think it was a solid strategy if the starters respected it and played hard for the time they were out there instead of treating it like they were on vacation. They have flirted with the switch for so long than they may no longer be able to control it.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The quotes in the post-game pressers and papers are NOT encouraging at all.

No mention of the fact that the Zoo Crew isn't playing, and does anyone think Chauncey might be injured?

I remember reading he had a sore something, and Chauncey is the one player we have that when he has any sort of injury, it kills his game completely.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

Agreed we should have played the starters with the kids more at the end of the regular season. But this loss is looking a lot like age. I mean Tay and Rip our younger starters were up to the task. We are looking like the 2004 Lakers with key guys older. I do hope I am wrong. But I can't explain the composition of this loss on the coach (who I don't really even like), on the rotation, etc. I mean Miller is taking it to Billips early in the game. And not only Billips but Stuckey got stuffed at the rim.

To get back, we need to bring in some of our youth for defense and stuff up their offense. Flip is in a real bind if that is all certain starters have...

I would like to see us stop playing scared and take the open look. They are waiting for us down low and we don't have starters who are good drivers anyway...
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lpgrl,

If Billips is injured, he shouldn't be driving. He lost the ball, wild shot, etc. that hurt us badly. Then, he lost confidence in the best part of his game, as hi jumper left him. We are either playing stupid--driving into their bigs for nothing or scared (afraid to take the first open look).
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm reaching. Injury would at least explain some of his performance, but i agree. He needs to pick and choose his spots. The whole team does.

So the Sixers crowd started chanting Overrated in the 4th? Ouch. Glad i didn't catch that.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Sixers entire team plays like the zoo crew.

Sheed and Dyess = 4 points, 7 rebounds combined in about 60 minutes?

17 turnovers from our starting 5?

That just sucked. The worst part was that Philly scored on just about every mistake we made all night long. Andre Miller was cold blooded.

I'm not even going to go into my diatribe. We just need to play better.
  11. b-diddy

b-diddy Second Round Draft Pick

i hope your wrong, but i think your right.

nothing ages a player like a deep playoff run every year.

i was with the people that were not happy with this draw. philly was basically a 50+ win team down the stretch, and at one point i think they beat us, boston, and san antonio all in a row. they are not a bad team. not as good as the pistons, but not bad, and we certainly need to put up a better effort than we have to baet them.

im thinking i might try to force myself to enjoy the remaining games. this could be the end of these guys playing together.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Coaches can motivate players only when player understand that he needs it and wants it. Of course, there are means, how to forcefully "motivate" but those methods may be suitable in Abu Ghairibi prison, not in NBA.

Do not treat motivating like "secret magic of NBA coaches". If player feels no fire, then coach cant lit it agains of player's will. Plain and simple. Analysand has to understand he has a problem and then psychologist can help.

When Ron Harper was here as assistant coach he told that breaking regular season wins record was MJ's personal crusade. Zenmaster was actually against of that idea. But MJ was looking for new challenges and he found it to be good one.

As for bench: play them as you want but as long staring 5 sucks, results will be same.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed, Chauncey, and Jarvis were 1 for 12 from 3-point range. That is pretty bad for those 3.

Somehow Jarvis got off 7 shots in only 9 minutes

Compare that to 6 shots for Rasheed in 34 minutes. Does that seem right?

Tay was 8 for 9. Why not shoot more? Oh yeah, the 5 turnovers.

I'm thinking that we were rattled because of all the white t-shirts in the crowd. Let's just go with that.

One last note. How unexciting was Flip's half time speech on the "wired" feature?

"guys, you don't deserve to be in this game with all the turnovers you had. You need to turn it up out there. (sound of florescent lights buzzing) So we're going to go out there and turn it up a little."

God. So many people to blame and it just doesn't make me feel any better.
  14. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I like LB and i hate Flip. But LB was not a fan of playing rookies. Max would have been another milicic.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't think so. Jmax is a physical, athletic guy with collegiate experience, but Darko was still wet behind the ears. Very different. I think LB would have been happy to coach & play Jmax. Coaching Darko, as young as he was, was more of a baby sitting responsibility Joe laid on Larry.
  16. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Have mercy, Flip need some help because he won't got no any call from top notch franchise if the Pistons fail to go to ECF.
  17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Things I am sick of...

-Chauncey's playoff no-shows (This is the 3rd year in a row he's turned into a scrub in the playoffs).

- The force-feeding of certain guys, which leads to no ball movement, and tough shots late in the clock.

- No one to attack consistently. Stuckey will be there in the future, but he has a little ways to go, and his Coach/teammates won't give him a chance as a rook.

- AJ and AA riding the pine. We need hustle and energy, yet 2 of our best hustle guys are chilaxin' on the bench.
  18. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Pistons DNA....
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

People talk about turn overs. Pro players don't just turn the ball over. Its the other team that does it to them. Same thing with standing around and goingISO. It takes a lot of work to execute. It takes a lot more when the defense knows what you are executing and is intent on stopping that...not just contesting your shot in the end.

You need to bootstrap and get your willpower on. The playoffs are not about execution. its about winning.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

my buddy and i both had other places we had to be last night, so neither of us saw the game live. i was able to catch the score when it was 60-50, then i went to another bar and saw eli zaret interviewing reggie evans and knew it was bad. then i saw 95-75 and thought...wtf??

i'm debating whether or not to torture myself and watch. i think i will just because i need to see what is happening out there. i still think we'll win the series, but it should not be coming to this.

i don't think flip has done a great job so far in the playoffs, and if we flame out in the 1st round i won't be sad that he gets canned, but at the same time he won't be the first person i blame. it will be the players. i hope he doesn't become an escape goat (;p) on this forum while the starters are not held accountable.

to the starters: this is the f'ing playoffs, how can you not bring it every game? if you're that bored with basketball why not retire? how hard is it to play with passion for TWO MONTHS out of the year? are you really okay with being laughed at by the rest of the league, embarassed, and called out? i'm usually of the opinion that pride is overrated, but c'mon...you are crapping on your own legacy. was that ONE championship enough? if so, get the hell out of detroit because you're not wanted anymore.