1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons Pre-season games thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This one is on NBA tv for all the outta towners.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons blew a 24 point second quarter lead as they allowed the Wiz to catch and tie them with about 6 mins left in the game.. but a couple 3 balls , one by CB who had four, gave them an 8 point lead and they held on to win in the end. Final score 99-96 Pistons.

Billups looked OK, glad we resigned Bynum. Dre got schooled by Sarapin in the 4th. No Josh and of course no Stuckey or Jennings, so you needed the clutch play of Bynum and Billups since Silva and Pope still played like the rookies that are. Pope still struggling from the field and seems to be taking too many threes.

Monroe got his stats like he always does and led the big men ....he also held Glen Rice Jr in check on the last play of the game as we all knew he was going to launch the last shot for the tie.

Lee356 likes this.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good to see a game again. Hard to get a feel for this team without Jennings in there and with all the substitutions.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great to see a game on TV. Lots of excitement as we saw a few players get dunks off alley oops - Pope one, Drummond several, and Mitchell a time or two. Mitchell also made an outside shot.

Harrellson was plus 13 I see in just 6 minutes. His only make was an outside shot. No bounds though. Defense looked good enough.

We got out to a huge lead, something like 50 - 29, real early in the 2nd quarter. After that, Washington played better. They caught up, but we won, with Mr. Big Shot hitting a 3 inside the 2 minute mark. His 4th of the game. Matter of fact, Billups only scored those 12 points off his threes. And provided 6 assists to 2 turns.

They announced at first that Pope would start along side Billups. Which would have begged the question of who would come in at point guard later between Siva and Bynum. Instead though, it was a Billups - Siva backcourt to start the game. Each player took turns acting as the point. Billups obviously showed he can play the role of a spot up shooting guard in this game. And Siva showed some range hitting a 3 himself.

Smith sat just because it was his turn to sit.

So our starters were Billups, Siva, Singler, Monroe, Drummond. Drummond was all over the boards, though we ended up losing the board war by just a bit. Drummond scored some with his usual put backs and dunks, but he also hit a hook shot to show a little promise of what he could do in the future. And while on that subject, I say pay Monroe for what he is doing now rather than not do that based on projections of what Drummond will do in the future. Don't get cheap. Monroe can score in the post, and that is something every team should have.

And our starters did great to start the game. About plus 12 if I recall before we made a sub. Singler nailed 3 triples in the game on his way to 14. He also fouled out of the game, but not before hitting a late 3 (along with the one from Billups) that helped win the game in crunch time. Meanwhile, his competition, JJ, hit a bunch of shots too. But you know, playing guys like Singler and JJ on our front line when we are already trying to hide Monroe defensively to an extent in not necessarily the way to go. I think Washington got wise to our weak front line after slightly more than one quarter and we got into trouble the rest of the game.

Pope did nail one 3. Better than nothing. Showed some real ups toward rebounding too, decent defense. He was plus for the game. And hey, him and Bynum, after a few moments, helped the Pistons to an 18 - 2 run. Defense and offense working.

One of the little noticed plays of the game, a knock - a - way by Drummond in that last minute of play to cause a shot clock violation for the Wiz.

Bynum did well in this one. Good decision making on fast breaks especially. Yes, he did find himself just too short, with no plan to compensate for it, in a couple of instances. But at least one time he did what he is suppose to do and get up into the legs of the taller player to make his presence felt. If he could do that more often, I for one would like his play a lot more. Bynum got lob dunks for 3 players, Pope, Drummond, and Mitchell - who was plus also and 4-4 in the game.

Is Beal that good. The only thing keeping Washington in the same game was Beal to start the game. Or is Billups just that slow and our perimeter D was that bad? Yes, I would like to see a Jennings - Pope starting backcourt sometime soon against this same Washington team and see how Beal does against that.

We played a ten man rotation, with CV also getting 3 minutes before back problems cut his night short. And we have several players out injured who we plan to play a lot yet - Datome, Stuckey, Jennings, plus Smith who sat out. Since I know we are not planning to run more than a ten man rotation, there is a lot of decisions to be made on who plays yet. Both Singler and JJ are making their cases by shooting the ball straight. Three triples for Singler. He could still end up being the starting shooting guard, if he can do that consistently. The theory there, sure, Singler is too slow to play shooting guard, but he would add rebounding to the position and be able to post up smaller shooting guards. He posted up one tonight, making 1-2 after the resulting foul. Again, if he can keep hitting 3's, its a possibility that he could start.

Got to mention that Drummond has been our most consistently negative player of late. Hard to fathom since he is such a presence around the basket. Especially rebounding. And yet, if you look at the last game (+17 with the starters), and the opening of this game (+12 with the starters), you can see that the problem really lies in Drummond playing with bench units, not with the starters. So I am not too worried, since when healthy, the Pistons have the option to play Dummond just with the starters, as many minutes as they care to play him really.

29 assists, just 12 turns. This was a preseason game, and yet we had an excellent turnover to assist ratio. As always, I give credit to the starting point guard first of all for this stat. And that was Billups, or Siva, since they shared the point guard duties for this game as the starters.

Siva did make a rookie mistake early in the game, making a weak pass way too close to Ariza for the turn. As a shooting guard though when Billups was playing the point on a possession, I don't think he exactly put fear into anyone. He did make that 3, but he needs to make a lot more before teams respect him enough for that role.

Ok, let me see, what can I think of at the moment on a player by player basis. We got at least one loose ball after Mitchell was helping to fight for it. Bynum did well scoring inside a time or two. Billups helps create some of his shots with shot fakes. Its not all hitting wide open triples when left open. Pope dove for the ball, just to knock it away further to run their shot clock down more. Great effort. And then it was time for him to come out. Just scheduled to come out, nothing he was doing wrong. They were pretty much subbing Billups and Siva out as a pair and bringing in Bynum and Pope as a pair - until the end of the game when it started getting tight - Bynum and Billups closed the game out. Note, in the 2nd half, Bynum coming in did not turn the tide any. We kept giving up lead. The whole team was having trouble in the 2nd half.

Both Singler and JJ did some inside scoring. JJ had that strong move from the left hitting a floater / half hook from in front of the basket. Singler just kind of caught them looking once. Siva scored inside on a reverse off a well timed pass from Monroe after Siva had set up the play by feeding Monroe in the post.

The late 3 by Billups was assisted by a good skip pass from Bynum.

Ok, the coffee is wearing off. About time to end this post. Getting late. I am sure I will watch the game again and post more tomorrow night. GO PISTONS!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    brofmfa and linwood like this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Savor this one. Let it wash over you in waves of bliss.

kpaav, LA Dre, BillLaimbeer and 2 others like this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

Day-twah ran against Warshington last night.
    ...some observations:
    • I'm wondering what the heck the Popester did to get himself benched at the zero minute mark of the game. They announced that he was starting and then he wasn't there. Maybe he had White Castle for lunch and had to drop a deuce at tip-off. If you're gonna draft a kid at #8, why not play him in some preseason games to get him some reps against a guy like Brad Beal.
    • Speaking of the Pontiff, someone needs to make a point of pointing out this kids hustle stats. 6 (six) rebounds in the miniture minutes that coach Mo so graciously set aside for his development last night. Absolutely LOVED that hustle play in the 4th when he chased that loose ball down to the Wizz's end and dove on the floor to try and snag the posession. I'm not sure what Maurice is thinking by not rewarding this kid with more opportunities.
    • Tony Mitchell is one of those guys who always looks like he's completely stoned. I have a friend named Robert who has this same issue. However, in Robert's case, he is actually always stoned. For his birthday last month, I went to Walgreens and bought him one of every kind of eye-drops that they sell.
    • In addition to being a teen wolf, Will Bynum is the Mayor of Lob City-East. Mayor Bynum was tossing alley-oops to everyone last night. For a minute, I half expected to see George Blaha leave his announcer's chair, go backdoor and throw down one of Will's lob passes.
    • Will Bynum had 9 dimes 2 TO's. Siva AND Chauncey had 9 dimes, 4 TOs
    • Charlie Villanueva played about 4 minutes. These were 4 of the most uninspired minutes of NBA baketball that I've ever seen anyone play. He should never EVER see the court when the games start counting.
    • Jorts could be a rich-man's Charlie Villanueva. Dude has a nice looking jumper for a 7-footer. He doesn't exactly lumber around out there like BoT does either. He's got a little bit of JYD in him.
    • I'm really curious about Pizza Guy.
    • Tale of 2 halves: 1st half = Pistons could not miss and were absolutely locking the Wizz down on D. The Wizz were shooting 8% at one point! 2nd half = The Pistons dug out the "switch" from the Flip Saunders days and stopped playing.
    • Vintage Chauncey Billups in the final minutes when the game was close. Bup Bup simply grabbed the ball, calmed everyone down and won the freaking game. He might be the best player in the NBA when your team is up 2 with less than a minute left. He just manages the situation so freaking well and rarely makes a mistake. IMO, Chauncey's Mariano Rivera closer skills will be worth 4 additional wins this season.
    • Go Pistons!
    • Why is Greg Monroe wearing one of those shooting sleeves on his right arm? Dude's left handed and he's deathly afraid to shoot from beyond 2 feet anyway. Shooting sleeves are stupid. ...Vinnie Johnson never needed one of those damn things!

coynejeremy, Mogilny, Slippy and 4 others like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I forgot about Chauncey. Hopefully he avoids getting an old man injury because he really is useful.

Frustrating that we're not going to see the team at full strength for a while. Have to wait for Jennings and Datome, then for Cheeks to warm up to Pope.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was proud of Lee for posting that. It probably wasn't easy.

brofmfa, roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  9. BallDon'tLie

Agreed.
    We may not begin seeing what this team is capable of doing until December. November will be like preseason #2 once BJ, Stuckey and Pizza Guy get into the mix.

What is it going to take for Maurice to warm up to KCP?
    I've only seen 3 of the preseason games so maybe I'm missing something.
    Every time I see him play, he looks like he looks like the best back-court defender on the team. He competes for every loose ball and rebound. Yeah, he hasn't shot the rock as good as he is expected to but it seems like the PREseason is a perfect time to work out those kinks.

When he's open - he drains it.
    When he has a man on him, he rushes things. A mid-October game against the Washington Generals seems like a great opportunity to feed him 30+ minutes for him to get straightened out.

FREE POPE!

Lee356 and linwood like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Mo has said that he loves KCP. Mo said he will find minutes for KCP even if he isn't shooting well because of his defense.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Mo seems to be a believer in making it tough for rookies. He was in the league a while and was a rookie himself of course, so there may be something to that method. Sort of a hazing thing.

Pope Kentavious seems to be trying very hard, so maybe it's working. As long as he "wins" the starting spot quickly, I'm happy (call it 20 games). Also, as much as I like Billups, my fear is that he gets burned out physically or injured. He's the most experienced and poised on the team and he still has most of his faculties, so bringing him off the bench at to stabilize games and for pressure situations at the end is what I am hoping his role will settle into. Worse case scenario is that the coach overplays him as part of the KCP hazing ritual and CB goes out for a multi-month period.

12. BillLaimbeer

I'm hoping Billups has a mentoring-type effect on Jennings, irregardless if he is injured or not.

13. roscoe36

If we can beat Washington in the preseason, anything is possible.

coynejeremy, Pwn Toney and Walter like this.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You think he's showing him how to brush his teeth and floss?

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good observation. Pope is adjusting to the speed of the NBA game. Soon, he will realize that it is best to take enough time to make the shot, and not be worrying quite so much about his shot getting blocked. Basically, he is blocking his own shots by rushing them. On the flip side, if he actually hit those shots that he puts up that fast - say with a bit more reps, it would make him a pretty awesome offensive force. I definitely say start the guy, let him shoot all he wants to get it figured out. Yeah, sure, if his shooting is shooting us out of a game, he will have to slow down, gets to the bucket a time or two, get us back into the game, before jacking up any more shots.

16. BallDon'tLie

Pope gets enough hustle stats to earn himself a few missed shot attempts.
    Dude was by all accounts, one of the best shooters in the '13 draft. I have absolutely no reason to think that he won't start draining jumpers with more reps.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It felt so good to WATCH a Pistons game.
    My 2 cents....not that anybody asked.
    In order to get above .500 and make the playoffs:
    Drummond has to perfect that little half hook and get the FT% up above 55%. Until then he's a younger JeVale McGee or Deandre Jordan.
    Monroe seems to be aware that he has to take and make jumpshots this year, now if only he can make them!
    I like Singler as the SF off the bench, Pizza Guy is going to have a hard time taking his minutes.
    When will the CV horror show end!?!?!?
    Chauncey is the perfect complement to Jennings. BJ will want to play 100mph 100% of the time, CB will bring great balance to that.
    That said Jennings might be the perfect PG for THIS team, we need a 3 point chucker to spread the floor and that's what he specializes in.
    Tony Mitchell can battle JJ for those scrap minutes at PF.
    KCP's shooting percentage has me concerned, but MY GOODNESS his defense is impressive!!! Last night he didn't miss a single defensive assignment or rotation, fought through every screen and didn't get beat not 1 single time! Not to say that his man never scored, but it wasn't because of bad defense. Concerned with his offensive game but man this kid is superb in every other aspect of the game! But I don't like how we use him in the half court offense, he kind of just stands around the perimeter, move the kid around for crying out loud. Get him some cuts to the baskets, some backdoor lobs, run him off some screens.....something other than just standing there.
    Will is still one of the best PG's in the league to BRING OFF THE BENCH!
    Siva ain't ready.
    Hope everybody plays tomorrow against Minnesota.

18. roscoe36

Welcome back KG. We're putting the band back together for the season opener.

KGREG and BallDon'tLie like this.
  19. BallDon'tLie

Dre is much more "teachable" than these two hockey pucks. His basketball IQ is like Bill Russell compared to D-Jordan and McGee.
    All three are athletic freaks who can't shoot free throws.
    That's where the comparrison ends for me.

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Right before player intros:

Cheeks - So, that's the game plan guys. Everybody got it? Any questions?
    KCP - Coach, why you treat that woman like that man?

Pwn Toney, BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.