1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons playoff race

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

At this point, we are right with Milwaukee, and 4 games back of both Charlotte and Indiana in the win column. Charlotte apparently decided to tank the season, trading away a key player or two looking to improve for next year. Indiana has lost two straight.

We play Milwaukee Tuesday, so we can get ahead of them if we win that one.

Still in the race. Me, I say forget the draft picks - develop the young guys we have by getting them to the playoffs - and see how far they can go.

And as for Rip - I hope at some point he realizes two things - yes this team can win in the playoffs - and that - we can go farther with him than without him.

2nd, Rip needs a lot of rest, considering how old he is and how many years he played deep into the playoffs in the last decade. Missing a bunch of games, both the team and Rip should realize its a blessing - and forget the past and just use all that pent up energy to win some games. Rip can play decent D, especially when full of energy, and can knock down shots.

Full steam ahead. GO PISTONS!!!!!

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Love your enthusiasm, but making the playoffs this season is about 5th on my priority list for this organisation right now.

Personally I would rather us not scrape into 8th and get embarrassed 4-0 by the Heat or Celtics. The experience gained by the youth in such a series may not necessarily be good for them.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Then again, maybe you are underestimating what our team can do. Miami, last I checked, is using the so called (by himself) best center in the league. They are using the very inefficient backup point, House. Basically, what I am saying is 3 guys don't make a team. And Boston, we beat them once already and were quite competitive for most of the next game - even with a healthy Garnett. And that was really with us half trying considering the turmoil the team was in.

If the Pistons can reach their potential, this year, they can get buy Boston easily enough, and possibly even Miami. Better yet, once we knock off the 1 seed, hey, we got it easier from there. And then, depending on who gets the West - we just could match up just fine there to.

For now, hey, both Indiana and Charlotte lost today. Good news and I will continue to track that here as long as we are still reasonably in the race.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It sucks because after the home loss to Char I gave up on the playoff race, yet I still check the standings. After the loss at Indy I gave up (for real) again, only to keep checking the standings. After Black Friday I was ABSOLUTELY finished, and I checked the standings yet again! I don't believe we'll make the playoffs, (said I check the standings AGAIN)

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what ever it is that your putting inside your body to get that amount of optimism, I want some of it too!

6. max

max All-Star

I have to admit that I gave up on the playoffs a couple of weeks ago. Its still a distant possibility but if they can ever put together a 4 or 5 game winning streak it then we can revisit that. They have been playing a little under .500 through all this drama but the team will have to play + .500 from here on out to even have a chance.

I would like to get into the playoffs as the 8th seed. If we do get in there on a roll then we should be able to win at least 1 game.

7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit has 21 games left, Charlotte 23, and Milwaukee and Indiana have 24.

If Milwaukee, Indiana and Charlotte all continue to play at the win rate they're currently playing, Indiana ends up with 37 wins, Charlotte with 36, and Milwaukee with 31. In order to pass Indiana, Detroit would have to go 16-5 and win both of the remaining games against them (or win more division games than they do), win both of the remaining games against Charlotte, and hope Milwaukee doesn't do equally well. And that's assuming neither Charlotte nor Indiana play better than their current season-long winning percentages (.441, .448 respectively).

Can they do it? The odds are really, really low. It's possible, I suppose, but I'm not sure it behooves them to fight for the playoffs, lose out on it, then drop farther down in the draft lottery, which is far more likely.

I say play the young guys, try to but out Hamilton's contract, and see where the season takes you.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

^^^

I don't see any way this team has the talent or the cohesiveness to make a run even if there was enough time. I'm not even sure they have the inclination.

Let the chips fall where they may. I never liked tanking. Never will. Unsportsmanlike.

11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree...And the revenue of an extra 2 games at home never hurt anyone either! We all know the draft falls off after 3 or 4 anyways, so do some scouting, and find that guy at 14-16 and run with it.

12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Sounds like a plan to stay mediocre!

This season is a wash if we don't get a good draft pick out of it. Our young guys aren't good enough. Definitely won't hurt to add more. The whole playoff experience thing is a myth. There is something to be gained from playing closely contested games against quality competition in a tight series. Not much positive can be gained from getting blown out every game by vastly superior teams who are glad they've received the closest thing possible to a first round bye.

But hey, nothing wrong with lofty goals I suppose. I'll start a little smaller than Lee. I'll just be impressed if they actually finish the season .500 or better at home.

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm looking at the draft picks the last couple days... Even if we get the number one pick I'm not sold on there being an all star player...

Player of the year is probably going to be an undersized shot first PG who is considered un athletic.

I would think that alot of underclassmen might be hesitant to enter the draft without knowing if there will even be basketball next year to start the season...

Who out there do we draft that will be able to be an instant starter/star for us next year?

14. hitafreethrow

Well that all sounds good, but who is this stud you speak of in the draft? I think you just proved my point even more. There isn't going to be a huge gap in talent between 1 and 20...or 30 even. With so many smaller college programs getting better and better, some of the best draft picks are out of the top 10, and you aren't saddled with a huge rookie contract off the get.

The fact is we are mediocre...The whole organization right now, sad but true. The only way to get out of it is to continue to grow (a few play off games for our youth would be a great step)x dump our garbage, and draft well researched, hard working players, who will never have to deal with the stuff that went on this year.

15. BillLaimbeer

When you get into the 2nd round, the scouting is huge. The top 5 to 10 players drafted could be starters for a crappy team such as the Pistons. The lower your pick, the higher your chance of picking a dud. There will definitely be some impact players in the 2011 draft:

2011 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Have you done any research into the odds of Dumards locating and drafting a 2nd round gem only to give him away to another team for nothing after a couple of years of wasting away on the pines in Detroit? :frusty:

17. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Even in the weaker drafts, the talent tends to hover around the top. The chances of getting a quality player at 4 are much higher than at 14. I'm not saying one pick is going to turn this team around, but being in position to get the best player possible can't hurt.

I'm really interested in how limping into the playoffs helps the young players on this team. It still doesn't put the team in a better chance to make the playoffs next year, or over the course of the next few years. The playoffs aren't where players develop their games, which is what we need from our young guys. The playoff experience of the Bulls and Thunder will help them in the playoffs this year because they have elite talent, played close games, and improved in the offseason. The Bucks on the other hand have seen no benefit from their playoff experience last year, because they're the Bucks and they just aren't that good. Our situation would mirror Milwaukee's a lot more than it would OKC's or Chicago's.

18. BillLaimbeer

Darth, you need to get over Sammy Mejia....

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I believe there is a lot to gain by making the playoffs (especially in a year where the draft is ultra-weak and teams are giving away picks like tic-tacs). Guys like Austin Daye and GM need to understand how the intensity changes in the playoffs, it gives them a whole new appraoch to off season workouts, also if we actually played well enough to get in that would have us on quite a roll. Also GM has essetially shown himself to be a basketball savant this season, he'd probably look awful in the 1st game of a series but probably drop a 30-20-10 game to keep us from getting swept in game 4.

20. hitafreethrow

I agree with KGREG and the fact that once you go into TANK mode, you are officially telling your players "Dont give it your all, every time on the court" and who wants that? I dont as a fan...and I sure as hell hope that the players wearing Pistons uniforms dont want it either.