Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

oh yeah. I forgot about flip. but you can't hate a coach too much. its gotta be a playa.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D was interviewed on WDFN this morning. He indicates that no matter who he brings in for the back-up pg, they will only get 10-12 minutes as Billups will still play 37-38 minutes per game. He also said that if Billups goes down, then they would have a hardtime getting to the finals anyway no matter who they brought in.

He did not reveal any names, but said that he would love to get someone else, and is still on the phones talking to other GMs as this is what he hope is just the front end of the trade deal. Right now he will rely on Hunter and Acker if nothing pans out.

He also said that he would sit down with Cato on Monday and advise him that he would be the 5th option behind Dale Davis and then again he could be waived or traded.

He also said that they wanted the pick in 2007 draft instead of 2006 because it was deeper.

He said this trade wasn't about CAP space, but about giving Darko a chance to play somewhere else before he loses his confidence and motivation....in other words he was never going to play meaningful minutes in Motown!:ohwell:
  3. Slippy

over at mlive.com someone put up the insider espn article...post 67405.

great read.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Darko Suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........U all will never hear me utter that phrase again. He's LONNNNNGGGGG-GONNNNNE!!! ..I am so geeked!~ Joe has a thing about ridding Mr.D of distractions when it interfereswith team chemistry. So our two biggest distractions are now outtahere! This is no coincidence. I hated hearing from posters who know nothing about the game and turn this forum into Dr. Phil crying about a 7-foot Goof who had no heart!...We are back to DEEE-Troit BASK-etball! And now we can focus on what's really important..How to get a championship!

Like I always said, name 2 players over 6'10" who blossomed after their third year with a scoring avg of 5 PPG or less.
    But I'll miss Los' flamboyance. He jad a lot of me in his game. I LOVED assists and that's what he brought. I think we goofed there cause Lindsay is going to disappoint us( I say play the KID-acker).

The only stat that hurts me is this: 7'0" 265 lbs and 20 years old!
  5. Slippy

bro, name 1 #2 that got picked by a chamionship team?
    The only thing that;s gone is 1. our most discussed topic and 2. our second most discussed topic. Heaven forbid we start talking about every 3 sheed tosses in the air.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Happy to see DMC go. For that kid to develop he needed to be traded to a place where he can play over 20mpg. DMC doesn't have the fire to come in and make it happen in 10-12 mpg, he lets the game come to him, give him enough time on the court and he fill the boxes on the stat sheet....but in short stretches he looks like a disinterested bum. Now he'll get the kind of chance that he needs in order to show that he can play. I've felt that this was a bad situation for him, he's not mature enough to sit,work,wait,sit,work, and shut up. Jmax and Amir will sit,wait,sit,wait,sit,wait and then BOOM!!!!!!! Once they get their shot, they'll know what to do with it.
    As far as Arroyo leaving, it makes sense. The way Chauncey is playing it's going to be hard for his backup to get on the floor, no sense in paying Chauncey's backup $4mill/yr........Rufus Henry will do just fine.
    I really like Tay and Delfino getting mins at the pt. It puts the ball in their hands and integrates them more into the offense, and that leads to good things.
  7. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yours is a very sensible post. I like all three of your points (on Darko, Arroyo, and Tay/Delfino). My only disagreement on Darko is that I don't think the attitude problem is necessarily just part of youthful phase; and it would not surprise me to see it surface again in Orlando, particularly if he is given -- and then loses -- a starting role, or if he is given a lot of minutes initially and then cut back. Darko seems to me to have a bit of a sulking personality. Perhaps related to that, I also think he lacks the necessary toughness to be a good NBA player, and that he too often seems lost on the court. Flip called him a "serviceable" player yesterday, and though Flip probably did not intend the remark to be uncomplimentary, I think it really was.
  8. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

In addition to getting a 1st round pick and $8million + in cap room Joe D also made it very clear that Pistons were a class act team. He basically made it sound (in the media) that he traded Darko so Darko could have a chance to play. That is true class and before this classy move most players (Free agents) would want to play here. After that comment I think it is safe to say almost all NBA players would want to play here. Classy organization, sold out stadium, some of the best fans, true team and a chance to bring home the gold.

Joe D made the right move for Darko and for the Pistons. Jmax should see a bit more time and I really do believe he can become a low post threat. Something Darko would not ever be.
  9. Slippy

What can we expect from Orlando's draft position in 2007. Late teens??

They have dwight, darko, jameer and a lottery pick this year. I dunno...looks like every other talent laden Magic team that doesn't seem to get it done.
  10. tpaPistonFan

Slippy -- I think we will be lucky if Orlando isn't in the top 5 draft picks next year. If they are really to incorporate Darko and Carlos into their lineup then there should be a good 1 to 2 years of growing pains. Not to mention Francis is the kiss of death to any team.
  11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Well, that was a classy thing to say, but I frankly doubt that was a real consideration for this organization. Bill D. is a very successful and tough businessman. His motivation is promoting his own team's interests, not any individual player's. In my view, the Pistons management and other teams (judging by what we got in return) no longer see Darko as somebody who is likely going to be an elite player, a second coming of Nowitzki (still possible, but not the sure thing that everybody thought when he was drafted). His trade value was likely to go down before it would go up. That and the salary cap issues discussed by others on this board were the main drivers of this decision in my view.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well said...and accurate, no doubt. :nod: A pure business decision which appears to have worked out in the best interest of all parties.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*/Jordan couldn't have broken this group!!!

Our starting five is what JD wants to go into battle with. Nobody, save an injury was going to break up this group. As it is our starting five has a tenure that has set records for health.
    ...Rick Balue[sp] is a sport talk guy and a very big Knick fan. He said the LB signing was the worst robbery in the world. He said the next time LB walks into the Garden he should be thrown against the wall and handcuffed. :laugh:
  14. tpaPistonFan

As I said Joe D made it sound that way. So in fact the organization looks like a bunch of good do'ers by letting Darko go. Of course it was a business decision, isn't everything that involves a for profit organization. (except for the Knicks)
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

it's a protected pick. so if it's top 5 we can't get it this year or the next year. so what do we want a 6th pick in 07 draft, or have orland o get top 5 the next 2 years, and then another top 5 pick in the 09 draft which would have to go to us? i say 6th pick this draft because having 3 straight years with a top 5 pick is very unlikely.
  16. Slippy

its not for this year. its top five protected 07 and unprotected after that.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

well that's great. lets hope orlando loses the rest of their games.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Is it true? drako was traded again from the orlando magic to the chicago bulls hours after he was traded. who got any info on this? thats pretty funny if that happened though.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You think Skiles would play Darko? No way.