Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Magic may do a deal with Pistons[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    BY JOHN DENTON
    FLORIDA TODAY
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ORLANDO - The Orlando Magic have made inquiries into possibly trading for Detroit Pistons reserve power forward Darko Milicic and point guard Carlos Arroyo, but assistant general manager Otis Smith said no deal is imminent.

The Magic could be offering reserve center Kelvin Cato, who has played just 23 games this season because of ankle, foot and shoulder injuries. The 6-foot-11, 275-pound center hasn't played since Jan. 18 after spraining his ankle. Cato has a cracked bone in his right foot and isn't expected to play until after the All-Star break.

If healthy, Cato could give the Pistons another center for the playoffs against possible foes Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Detroit might be willing to make Milicic, 20, available considering the tremendously disappointing start to his career. He was the second overall choice of the 2003 NBA Draft -- ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Kirk Hinrich -- but has played sparingly the past three seasons, scoring just 152 points in 95 games.
    He's played a total of 137 minutes in 24 games this season.

Arroyo is expendable now that Lindsey Hunter is back after missing the first three months of the season with surgery on his left ankle.

"We've talked with them, but we've talked to a lot of teams," Smith said. "I still like the team that we've assembled, but we just haven't been able to see it together because of injuries. So we're having to look at some different things. You can't just be stagnant. Like they say, if you're not getting better, you're getting worse."

I don't think there is anyway Joe Dumars does the deal in that form. I could possibly envision a Darko and Arroyo for Kato, Jameer Nelson, and the #9 pick though. I'm sure that would make many Pistons fans happy
    [/FONT]
  2. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

No way I would do it for Kato straight up. We can't trade Arroyo without another PG option, and right now we still aren't 100% certain what we'll get from LH coming off the injury.

I think with Kato plus EITHER Nelson OR the pick may be enough to get it done. I think it would probably have to include Nelson, though (rather than the pick) because 1) we know we need a backup point to replace Arroyo and 2) it doesn't make sense for the Magic to trade for Arroyo unless they have the idea of starting him.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Orlando is just trying to get even for the G. Hill robbery. They want to send us a guy with rubber ankles. No deal.
  4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Your statement makes me wonder if this is why we aren't seeing Lindsey right now. If it becomes known that LH is 100% healthy and as good as ever, we lose bargaining strength needed to include Nelson. Dollar-wise the deal dosen't have to include Nelson.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

THat's an ugly trade... if we deal Darko it should be to the western conf.
    Nobody wants to see him come back to haunt the team when he grows up.
    We can do a lot better than that... I'll bet we could get someone like Pietrus or Diaw for DMC's potential... still doesn't address our need for a young big for the future... decent backup PG's are a dime a dozen.
    IMO we should just hang on to Darko at least thru next summer and see if he can improve.
  6. max

max All-Star

I would definetly say no to that deal. For one it would leave us without a backup point. Teams 41-8 now - only a fool would break up the reserve unit. Hunter has been having full practices for over a month now. He has been suting up the past 3 games and still has yet to see any time. You can knock Arroyo is you want but you can't knock the solid bench chemistry that has been developing. Trade Arroyo without another guard comming back and we are in the same position as last season that caused Dumars to trade EC for Arroyo in the 1st place.

I can see perhaps Darko for Kato and a future pick but not Darko, Arroyo for KAto and nothing.

Rumor is out of Florida - I wonder why? Orlando has been interested in Arroyo but this is not going to happen.
  7. max

max All-Star

Kato is younger than I thought. Born Aug of 1974. That puts him as the oldest amoung Wallace, Wallace and Dyess but they all would be within 2 months of each other.
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

just a rumor

if joe wouldn't trade darko for al harrington a young stud. i just can't see him trading darko for cato. in my opinion cato isn't too much of an upgrade from what we already have in dale davis. he's not better than dice, sheed or ben so he wouldn't get any minutes anyway. any move the pistons make will be just a sideways or maybe a backward step. darko is going to beast slap the pistons in 2 years just like all the other young big men in the league are doing to them. our frontline is aging right in front of our eyes. it's not smart to trade the youngest, tallest, fastest big man you have.

the key to us getting better is already sitting on our bench. flip just needs to put them in the game. flips lack of bench development is creating a false sense of need. sure delfino bricked a few shots yesterday but he hadn't played in a couple of games. if you want consistency from the bench you have to give them consistent minutes.

last night flip didn't try to put darko, delfino, lindsey arroyo in until after the 2 minute mark. that was 5 minutes of development that flip missed out on. this is becoming a trend. the starters saw the lead dwindle i don't think the bench would have did worse. also tayshaun couldn't hit the side of a barn in the orlando game yet flip didn't reduce his minutes. if a starter isn't on let a bench player fill in. don't just let the starter shoot you out of the game.
  9. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Please Joe, trade Arroyo and Darko to Orlando. Take Cato's expiring contract and trade it for a backup PG and a serviciable center. He can make it happen. Isn't he a wizard when it comes down to trades? Darko and Carlos need development and, contrary to Detroit they'll sure have it in Orlando. On the other side, Orlando will see an increase of attendance due to "ricans going to see Carlos. Sounds like a good deal for Orlando. Will Joe pull the trigger? I don't think so either. He's smarter than that.</B></B></B>
  10. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Imagine what Harrington would feel about today being traded for milicic?
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wish we were talking about Dwight Howard instead of Kato.
  12. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

We will see what happens, but I really doubt the Pistons would let Darko and Arroyo go for an injury prone center, unless they ust need to some one to fill the roster. I'll believe it when i see it.
  13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

If Darko can't get in the game for a momentarily injured Dice when we are 20 points up on a lottery team, then what good is he? He couldn't get in the game to face a hyped up 20 year old lottery-picked big man like himself?:frusty: :frusty: :mad:

Lemme tell ya somethin, a healthy Kelvin Cato is no slouch. There is no doubt Cato would EARN some PT.:nod: Since including Arroyo is the only way to make the salaries work, I'd take a future 1st rounder in the deal. Especially if Acker is ready to emerge.

We got enough time to find/develop another young big man for the future. Our guys ain't as "old" as some would have others believe.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Kato = Dale Davis
  15. Mad Hatter

From Merc:

Yeah...but a younger Dale Davis.

The time for Darko to get PT was prior to the all-star break. Once we get past the trading deadline, the debate will begin on whether he should make the playoff roster.....again. Anytime we can move a guy like that for a much needed contributer, we outta do it.
  16. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

exactly

To trade for Kato would be a horrible move, he's been in the dog house with the Magic who are weak at center and he's way too likely to get injured. Isn't Elden still up for grabs??? We should just scoop him up as late in the season as possible.
  17. Mad Hatter

Cato ain't been in the "doghouse!" He's been injured. If we scoop up EC, who's goin on the reserve list? Who get's bumped off the squad? Stick a fork in Darko, he's toast here.

Having said that, I agree a better trade could be made. But Cato and a 1st choice ain't too bad. Especially if we could land Jamaar as well.
  18. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Cato???

Jeez. We need him? I don't think so. Dale Davis can take his spot. At least Darko doesn't give it up to DD because of his "status" as a project.

Jameer Nelson? Too small and shot happy. But the guy can score, that I can give him. But he's on a mediocre team and how would he fit here?

I agree that we should trade Darko for a young athletic stud, like Diaw or Pietrus, or someone like them, slide them in Evans' spot, or an expiring contract like Tony Delk's for more financial flexibility.

But all in all, I think Joe'll make the good decision. :fingerscr
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lindsey hunter couldn't get into the game either. dale davis couldn't get into the game. just face it flip has a weird substition pattern. if flip is scared to play his bench up 20 in the 4th quarter then what good is he.

a healthy j. bender, grant hill or a healthy shaq is no slouch either. quit hating on darko. he's better than cato now and has more upside. we want the deepest frontline in the nba not the oldest. we don't want no stinking draft pick either when would we develop that first rounder anyway?? flip doesn't play his bench.

tell that to me when kamen(sp), z. randolph, pau gasol, dwight howard, bogut, elton brand, ike diagu, etc. aren't going off for career games against our frontline.
  20. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Our "guys" may have a few productive years left but they have been getting killed ALL YEAR LONG by the young up and comers...Randolph, Gasol, Howard, Bosh, Kirilenko etc... The discrepency in production will only become greater as those youngins get BETTER and our vets get even OLDER. We do need some young talent, and that's exactly why we drafted Darko, apparently it's not his time yet.