Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 5, May 13th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 11, 2008.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We never managed to put howard in foul trouble so its an opportunity cost thing...do you take lewis out? Hedo?
  2. max

max All-Star

I can't complain about how they guarded Howard. The guy never takes a shot, its all point blank slam dunks. I have never seen someone who could make an offensive living at that before. Simple strategy they used - just don't let him get close. Until Howard developes more offensive tools he will always be stopable.
  3. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Howard is all hype... and its like he doesn't want to or doesn't think he needs to develop ANYTHING.
  4. max

max All-Star

He did have a good year but the playoffs are different. I did not like how he and his coach were crying about how physical the Pistons were with them. I do hope they get Clev next year so they can see that its not just the Pistons. No decent playoff team is going to give him a clear path to the basket, what is everyone supposed to do wave to him as he slams on them.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

to get on my soapbox.... this is why most basketball players need to go to college for some time, this guy never developed the simplest of post moves. He Dunks... and he ummmm slams bricks off the backboard, the comparisions there trying to make to a young shaq are just nuts, he went and seasoned himself at lsu and had a presense that howard could only wish he had.... Howard is a beast of a physical being, but he's nowhere near the best center in the league, he has alot of learning to do..

Think how great the georgetown centers of the late 80's early 90's would have been if they went straight to the pro's... Now think if howard had gone to college 4 four years (he's be a senior this year).

Looking at hi stats Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic - Career Statistics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

He has gotten better.... but has he truely gotten "that" much better?

NBA is for learning team play not for learning your skill so to speak... and do the players have the right to go straight to the nba from highschool sure.... But do some of these players need to be told that college is the place for them to learn.... heck yea

Ok off my soapbox
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Unless that PF can shoot threes I think we would match up even better with them.

I feel that Orlando's success going forward will hinge on how Dwight develops as an offensive player.

Prior to the series I kept hearing that this years Howard was different from last years, yet I saw the same kid out there. DH is a confidence shooter, displays undeveloped post skills, questionable ball handling against doubles,and gets uprooted too easily before the catch in light of his size and strength.

If he ever gets those left and right hooks down and adds a midrange jumper he's going to be near impossible to deal with, and that would be despite his FT percentage.

Oh well. I'll enjoy our team getting the better of him while it lasts, for however long it lasts.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, Howard used to have a decent short range jumper. But his last couple of coaches now have forbid him to take any jumpers. Which of course makes him much easier to defend. To not let a quick guy like that ever take a jumper is a mistake. Bad coaching. If he was taking those jumpers to this day, they would be pretty decent at this point, and Howard could drive past anyone trying to come out and defend the jumper.
  8. max

max All-Star

We will have to see on Howard. He is young, some guys improve and others don't. One thing, for a guy talking all the smack about wanting to beat the Pistons and avenge last year he sure came up kind of lacking in intensity.
  9. Slippy

I was reading the magic board and a lot of people were complaining of the lopsided calls. Was it really like that? I thought we had calls against us mostly but that may be my homer perspective.
  10. max

max All-Star

I thought they had most of the calls. Strange how your perspective changes depending on who you want to win.
  11. Slippy

one guy did a detailed 4th Q breakdown and reported like 10 missed fouls against us and 0 for them.
  12. max

max All-Star

Reminds me of that movie the 6th sense "They only see what they want to see"

Looking at the box 27 whistled on the Magic and 24 on the Pistons, and thats with the intentional fouls at the end.

16-28 FT's for the Magic and 28-32 for the Pistons. Thats the game right there.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed did hack the hell out of Howard when he stole the ball in the 4th quarter.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

they think it was bad againt us, wait till they play against a superstar like james or kobe..... lol... they turn the ball over 21 times shoot 50 percent from the line and want to blame a few "missed" calls....

uhh huhhh
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the magic got the benefit of almost every borderline call in the game, except for a stretch where she lot a lot of FTs in the 2nd quarter (i believe). they're just whining.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How long is his contract and/or when does become a FA? Remember the old saying, if you can 't beat em, then join them.

If he has two more years, maybe Joe should make a play for him 2011? Can't you see the Pistons in 2 years from now DHow in the middle, Stuck at the 1, AA at the 2 and AJ the SF and Max the PF, with Tay, CB and Samb coming off the bench and Hunter as the HC:sssh:
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Looks like Tay doesn't agree with those ppl who say it's OK for him to play those min. The dreaded "tiredness" :gun1:

This could all be solved by playing AA at back-up SF.
  18. max

max All-Star

His contract runs out in 2013 but he has a player option for that year.