1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 5, May 13th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 11, 2008.

1. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Dyess, Dyess, Dyess it can not be said enough.

He got us back in the game, and was a total monster on the glass and on Howard.

It was impressive to see them close out the game without their leader and stud FT shooter.

Rest up fellas. You might be the only series of the 4 not to go SEVEN games.

Hopefully C$ is close to 100% on Sunday or Tuesday.

2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Kudos to Tay for stepping it up in these playoffs. Flip just needs to find a way to sub him. Stuckey has matured as a player and some credit has to be given to Flip for allowing him the playing time, even if Joe had something to do with it. Dyess was amazing, awesome effort.

This team is really something we fans should be proud of, even though I whine and cry when things are not going so good. 6 straight trips to the ECF is just an amazing stat of consistency at the very highest level. Wish we had a few ships to show for it.

GO PISTONS !

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What an enjoyably frustrating game last night.

I wonder what the score of the game would be if you counted only the last 3 minutes of each quarter last night? Hard to believe that is the stuff of champions. Gulp.

McDyess made a lot of huge plays in this series. It's funny, he is normally $$ when he receives the ball off of penetration and off when they pass directly to him from the top of the key. At the start of the 4th he hit 2-3 shots when they went straight to him and he missed when Dixon go him a wide open shot. All that yelling for nothing.

Why do they wait until they're in trouble to start going to Sheed in the post?

Their offense shut down towards the end of the 1st when they tried to continually go to Tay in the post against Bogans. They are so much better when they don't dwell on these advantages".

I am interested to see Tay in the next round. He was good against CHI last year also, wasn't he?

I wouldn't have a problem with Herrrrrrman playing if he had played some during the year. Why wait until now? I wouldn't be surprised to see AA get some run next round, but it will only be so so because the chemistry will be off.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I had a bad feeling about this one when I noticed AA wasn't getting his requisite 5 seconds. I looked at the box score though and somehow he played for 1 second and I didn't notice it. I guess 1 second is the new number to look for.

Orlando outshot us but insisted on giving us the ball so we could have some extra shots. Dwight Howard was miserable at the line. Bogans had a microphone on him and we heard him give DH some advice at the line..."you're by yourself. Gotta make your free throws"...quite an insight into the inner workings of an NBA game. DH still missed his free throw.

I think a one eyed, peg legged player could have hit more free throws than Howard.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Obviously you have forgotten much from your days as a Darko booster. Countless statistics were compiled showing the positive effects of towel waving from the bench. It is said to directly affect the outcome of 93.76% of all NBA games.

Personally, I study the towel waving statistics from each NBA game at least 5 times per night. I consider myself an expert on the topic.

7. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I had to tear myself away from the game with 1:09 in the fourth to go out to dinner. When I came back to check the score I was fully expecting a win. Tay's block epitomizes the type of crunch time execution we've been seeing in the last few games.

Lee mentioned Stuckey's free throw shooting. With his miss last night he's 27/28 in the playoffs right now. There have been several players who haven't missed a free throw, but if you look at the list of players who have enough attempts to qualify according to NBA.com, he's in first place, just ahead of Ray Allen.

It's been a long wait, but we finally got something out of the Otis Thorpe trade. Stuckey's skilled, smart, and plays with poise under pressure. He's looking like a future All-Star.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what a game! the day started off ominously, as i forgot my jersey at home and felt naked without pistons apparel...but i did wear my same red/white shirt that is normally underneath the jersey. the fans actually got there on time today, although the game was very back-and-forth and the fans did not truly get into it until the 4th quarter...but when they did they were great.

this is what you call a team effort. sheed was money in the post when we needed him the most. dyess was money in the 4th, making shots, making FTs, and keeping rebounds alive over the league's best rebounder. tay made the biggest plays when he needed. rip was insane at the line. max did his thing. and stuckey...goodness what a performance. the most important thing to note is that he doesn't buckle under pressure, he doesn't back down, and he seems to be better and more focused as the situation gets bigger and bigger - playoffs, 4th quarter, whatever. he's a stud.

i didn't mind max receiving fewer minutes the past few games, because it looked like he was wearing down a little bit guarding howard. but imagine how howard must've felt by the end of the series...body after body being thrown at home and no one backing down.

i was excited to see my favorite matchup of the series actually take place: jarvis vs. evans. boy that was ugly.

to anyone griping about tay's minutes - don't. he didn't play as much during the regular season, and the pistons just played 2 games in SIX days. if he can't go an extra 5-6 minutes from that, then i don't know what to tell you. and we've got nearly a week (or more) before we have to play again, so it is completely irrelevant.

i'm glad we're getting rest now, versus the argument saying the rust will be worse. we need chauncey healthy, we need tay and max to rest, and let's face it, we weren't playing spectacular basketball the last couple games.

the game shouldn't have been close, but those missed shots killed us. we made one fewer basket on 19 more shots. even if we make a quarter of those we win by 15 going away. i also didn't like the one stretch of defense in the 2nd half where whatever we were doing gave them a lot of open 3s...thankfully they missed.

GO PISTONS

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lurker or anybody else who missed or wants to relive the game, it is being rebroadcast at this moment on NBA-TV if you are at home right now and have that channel.....The 4th qtr is about to start...Pistons are down 68-65.....

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I guess he forgot about Tay's and Max's blocks on him. I do agree that Orlando made too many mistakes. That's a sign of an inferior team.

11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Right there, if he feels uncomfortable with Arvis and Walter he can just slide Rip over to the 3 for short stretches and put 2 out of Billups/Stuckey/Lindsey in the backcourt.

Or use spellcheck I guess.

Gotta/Have to/ Non optional to get Tay a legit backup at the 3 either through the draft or the Mid Level this season. We need a Michael Finley/James Posey type guy that you wouldn't think twice about giving 20 mins a game.

Spellcheck is a 2, and even a little short for a 2 in NBA terms.

12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

We have seen it a few times and I expect to see it even more with the way stuckey is growing day by day... we'll see billiups hamiltion and stuckey 3 guards with two big man at times... depending on who the other team has on the floor.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hunter played. Killed our offense for long stretches. Did nail a three to make up for a small part of that. [qoute] Lee 356
    -
    It wasn't Lenz fault. Or. killed our offense. Lenz was +7 last game and -3 this game. Everybody shot bad. Maxi was -7 and the rest of the bench wasn't any better.
    Lenz didn't hurt this team this series. Can't drill on a guy if he's doing good.
    After all he/we've been through aren't you glad we have Lenz. If Bup-Bup can't go in next round. i'll take my chances with Lenz.:sssh::)

14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Just like last year, a once-proud basketball team going Code Blue is never a pretty sight.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Believe what you will. Me, I believe Afflalo could have taken those same minutes, and gave us a lot more. If you want to defend Hunter, you could mention he took the ball up the court well, as he always does. But that I put in last game report.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    ok:)
    You did notice how ball scoring he was the last ten games of the season.
    It's like some one told him to score...I don't know who...but it shocked a lot of us.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I'm just glad Afflalo got some playing time in game 5. He will be ready for next year.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

[​IMG]

from the magic board[​IMG]

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice! Gotta get the rebound.

:pound:

20. max

max All-Star

What happends if they actually get a PF next year. Battie was out, I don't know how that would have effected the series.

Take the win and move on I guess.