1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 4 Sat May 10 5pm

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 8, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Looks like CB's job could be in jeopardy to LinRod Hunckey.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

:pound:

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He ain't becoming a Cannuckian if that's what you're thinking!:pound: Don't do it Phil............

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What a win indeed. I think I threw my back out getting back on the Piston bandwagon. That first half made me really angry. By the time O-Town made it a 15 point lead I was cheering against DET. The team was following their leader CB and laying down in the first half.

DET's offense is so bad it seems like they're trying not score. Everything they do is labored. How in the world do you end up with Lindsey Hunter in an iso? Conversely, it seemed like Orlando could score any time and any way they wanted early on.

Flip made a good move when he put Sheed on Evans and Rip on Lewis. Orlando went like DET and shut down their whole offense trying to go to Lewis in the post. Aside from some fouls, they got nothing from that.

I still think it is a mistake not playing AA some on Lewis. I would have liked to seen Dixon get some run too. Figuring out how to play Hunter and Dixon though is probably way out of Flip's league at this point.

I never believed it when announcers etc would say that Dyess is the strongest guy on the team. I figured Max might have something to say about that. Not anymore. Good lord.

I thought DET looked pretty bad on their last few possesions, offensively and defensively.

5. Darth Tater

Hamilton scores 32 as Pistons beat Magic 90-89 - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Pistons rookie Rodney Stuckey made his first playoff start in place of Billups, but Hunter took over the ballhandling duties much of the time with Stuckey in foul trouble. Hunter rarely appeared in the regular season, playing a career-low 24 games and spending 46 on the inactive list in his 15th pro year. He looked rusty early but finished with eight points and three assists.
    Billups is third on Detroit’s career playoff scoring list and was averaging 15.8 points and 5.7 assists this postseason. In the end, the Pistons didn’t need him.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

<p>Seven man rotation. Just Hunter and Jason Maxiell, who was demoted back to the bench, played significant minutes off the bench. Besides that, Hayes got in for 4 rather ugly minutes, where he bricked shots, and gave up points. He was minus 8 for the game. Hayes did hit a triple. If only Flip had pulled him right there before Orlando could start abusing him on the other end of the floor.</p>

<p>Dixon toiled 3 minutes, took just one shot and missed. We did not have to worry about them exploiting him on D, since Hayes was in at the same time and was a much easier target to pick on.</p>

<p>Amir did not dress, as they wanted to dress both Dixon and Hunter to back up Stuckey. Herrmann and Theo did not play. Neither did Afflalo. Apparently, they want to bring back Billups for the next game. I say no way. We are up 3-1. We can finish off Orlando without Billups. Let him rest and heal.</p>

<p>Dyess played just shy of 40 minutes. Way too much for him usually, but he did just have 2 days rest, and this was a nationally televised game. Dyess got some led us in the rebounding department. He took some outside shots, bricking most of them and getting us in trouble by them. But later, him and the whole team pretty much started going inside more. CB was interviewed at one point in the 3rd as we were making a run. He said the difference was that we quit settling for outside shots, and Orlando could not get fast breaks off our missses.</p>

<p>Even though Sheed took, and missed most, many 3 pointers in this game, he also worked the inside quite well, scoring 17 for the game. He was often making Howard work hard to guard him. On the other end, Sheed was guarding Howard a lot and doing great. Howard was responding very poorly to this, tossing up several wild shots. Yeah, Rip sure scored a lot of points (32), but you really can't underestimate just how good Sheed was in this one.</p>

<p>Our third star in this game also scored a bunch, and mostly inside. Tay had it going. He hit a three too, but most of his scoring was getting into lane and putting it thru the hoop on short "half hooks" I guess you would call them. I think every Piston fan about swallowed their heart when Tay nailed that last one. And a lot of Orlando fans hearts broke at the same moment. Clutch. Clutch. Clutch.</p>

<p>Hunter knocked down a couple of threes and got a layin on a fast break. His defense was not great, but he gave it his all. One thing Hunter could always do is bring the ball up the floor well. Between him and Stuckey, they had no turnovers, and we only had 9 for the game.</p>

<p>Some people are saying Stuckey did not do so well. But wait, we were getting beat on mismatches something terrible with Sheed or Dyess trying to guard either of Turk or Lewis. That does not work, and its no bad reflection on our point guard. Our 15-0 run started with Stuckey in their until he picked up his 4th foul.</p>

<p>Twice in this game, we made strong defensive runs with Maxiell in the game. Both runs were critical, getting us back into the game each time. The last time Maxiell played before today, we rocked in the 3rd quarter of game 3, with Maxiell in the game. Sure he has not scored the last couple of games, but his defense is solid, and again a very important part of a Piston win today.</p>

<p>Good steady shooting by our three stars who played, Tay, Rip, and Sheed, won this game, along with a whole lot of good defensive rotations. Still, we barely managed to pull this one out due to poor defensive matchups against their small forwards.</p>

<p>In sum, I think we could have done better, but we won, we are up 3-1, life is grand.</p>

<p>GO PISTONS!!!!!</p>

7. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

It was amazing how much ball movement the Pistons had on their last possession before Tay hit that shot. I haven't seen a finish like that in a while. I also liked Lindsey's jump ball with half-Nelson and Dyess's double tech with Superman. Now that's Pistons basketball.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The team would be feeling very LOW if the coach is let go now...:pound:

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Anybody who is complaining about anything needs to raise their dominant hand and slap the %%%% out of the themselves about 3 times...

NOW.

Sick sick sick Connie Hawkins shot by Tay to win the game.

He's been our "big game James" but with Defense these playoffs. And yes Defense is capitalized.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I slept through the game. I tried to stay awake , but apparently the one hour of sleep i got last night overtook my Pistons love.

I checked the score fully ready to see a DNP for Amir/AA and get mad, but i'm so happy we won. I could care less right now. It's just one game. AA will go back in the rotation once Billups comes back (which shouldn't be this series).

Amir was inactive. Again as long as it's only one game/or while Chaunce is out.

Go Pistons! Seems like Tay/Rip (and everybody stepped it up). Finish this series at home, and we'll get some rest. BOS can't play on the road if their life depended on it.

If we beat ORL, it will be crucial to get one there.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Me too. Finishing this series off early will be crucial. All our players could benefit. At first i was thinking don't want them too rusty, but they are going to need the break.

12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I concur.

Tay needs to log about 35 mins max in the next game.

Spellcheck time. Nice to see Arvis give us a little something, however little it was.

Let's go wings 11:17 left 2 - 1 lead going on the powerplay.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Definately next game, Lewis seems to still be giving us majopr trouble, will be at home should be a looser rotation. I think Stuck will play better at home, and Max seems to still be in DET anyway. :)

And the Wings are great. I don't even like hockey, and i'm getting sucked in.

14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I just said the same thing in the hammy thread.

funny. :pound:

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

One of the guttier wins for this Piston era. How we won, I don't know. Our younger stars, Tay and Rip, kept us going. Then, our older star, Sheed did damage. Another older star, Dice, rebounded. And then our retiree, Hunter, helped turn the tide. How improbable is some of that??

Too many minutes? I am not going to complain one bit.

No great contribution from the youth? If our stars don't win games for us, we are not going to win many series.

Flip did some coaching like having Maxiel in at the end. Did he do enough on defense? I don't think so. They still scored too easily. But I am not going to complain...

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know. I still don't know how he got to that. Amazing play.

Gee, whiz - Will you lay off the whining? We just won a throwaway game without our starting All-Star point guard and you're complaining? Go soak your head, party-pooper! :MusicBigGrin:

YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!

17. Darth Tater

Yeah, I agree that while it's peoples perrogative to complain after a game, they should be hard pressed to do so. Pistons won wounded in a hostile environment under pressure. Let's be happy! Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but let's enjoy this.

18. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Getting a split with Billups would have been very good.

Getting one without him is almost beyond belief for me. we have 2 match points now and then Deuce at worst.

19. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Another badass thing Tayshaun did tonight: block the %%%% out of a dunk attempt by Mo Evans. That was ridiculous.

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

This is where NOT having CB was an advantage. CB woulda thrown up a panic three ball.