Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 3 Wed May 7 8PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2008.

1. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Hey guys, this was just one loss, on the road, without our starting PG for the most part...

For me it would have been easier to swallow if they didn't scratch and claw their way back to within 4 to start the 4th quarter, only to go into an immediate double-digit hole. Oh well...

I thought Rip forced way too many shots as well, but Tayshaun had a great game. Who cares if he doesn't feed the post to anybody other than Sheed? He's shooting great these playoffs and seems to consistently get himself a good look.

What seemed strange to me was at one point in the game we had Ratliff, Herrmann and Hayes on the floor at the same time. I don't see how that was going to help us put points on the board. Ratliff absolutely will not look to shoot (so the D can cheat off of him), and it seemed that after Howard completely stuffed Herrmann's weak finger roll he wouldn't shoot again.

Speaking of Howard, he completely altered more shots than the 6 he blocked last night. I remember one play where a guard (Hamilton or Stuckey) drove in, dished to an open McDyess (I think) who was in great position under the basket, but who then dished again out of the paint rather than risk being blocked. Go up strong with both hands and force the issue, please!

Not to throw fuel on the Amir fire, but didn't he give up an open 3 to Rashard Lewis on the first defensive possession after he checked in? I get excited to see him come in, too, but IMO he's not ready for the playoffs this year.

2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Amir did get a three thrown in his face but it was his first possession in. I would like to think that it might be possible for AJ to at least alter a few shots if he got a chance to get in? It would have to be better then the Lay up line that Turkeyglue is running?

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was kind of proud of the fellas last night. They fought hard. Orlando was getting a lot of calls. It is when the fouls are called rather then the total calls.

I thought Herrrrrrman played well. The trio of he, AA and Stuckey looked good together. It would have been nice if this wasn't the first time they had played together with more than 45 seconds remaining in a game. It was pretty evident that they had no idea what each other were going to do. I think something should be done about this. The league should make the season longer so a coach has a chance to tinker with line-ups etc.

Unfortunately, this game was a reminder that DET is not greater than the sum of their parts. When Billups went down, it wasn't a problem. They simply [STRIKE]went small[/STRIKE] did nothing and kept chugging.

What is the point of stocking your roster with combo guards when you only allow them to play one position? Anyone else remember Dixon coming onboard and Flip saying over and over that he is a 2 not a PG after playing well at the point in LA? Anyone think that is detrimental to the team when they get in this situation rather than playing guys in different spots and seeing what works?

If Billups doesn't play G4, it might be time to beef up the servers for this site. I am guessing that Amir will not dress if that is the case. Amir would not help guarding out on the perimeter. Wasn't AA lauded in the papers for his D on Lewis in the regular season?

Stuckey is going to get someone killed in the stands if he keeps driving to the hoop.

4. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

Take my word, Billups is not going to play next game, not even game 5 either. A strained hamstring takes time to heal... of course it depends on the size of the injury after the overstretch. I think that, at least, he is going to be out 5 days from now on... it could be as worse as 40 days out. What a good timing.

I thought the basketball players were able to do that. I mean, its really useful to know that kind of stretching. I guess I was wrong =/.

Talking about the game... it seemed that when we play the right way, we're just 4 points down to Orlando's starters without our main guy. I liked Herrmann (he's still playing with a practice rhythm, a slow pace). And we need Rasheed to step up, for gods sake.

5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Yup. This is from a 1989 article in the New York Times:

Here's the fun part:

From what we've seen so far, it looks like Chauncey's injury may not as bad as what these guys had. :fingerscr

6. Delfino Delivers

According to WDFN; Kander says he can have him ready for game 4.

7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Can ≠ should

8. Delfino Delivers

I agree. Leave him in a suit until we get back to Detroit. Give Arnie the time and let him come back when the team comes back to the D. Use him sparingly in that game if possible.

Give Stuckey the green flag to run and to drive the lane. I think he needs to know from the coach that breaking down the D and drawing fouls is as good as points.

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I concur, send his ass home today and put him on oxygen.

Stuckey Gone Wild.

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree Chauncey should rest the next game, no matter how "ready" he is to play.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Strain is better than a tear, right?

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You should care because in order to achieve the winning part, it DOES matter who plays.

Our bench is fine. Our rotations suck. Even our rotations of the starters suck. There's no accountabilty for getting the best possible shot or passing to the open man either/

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is the main problem with our offense. The defense knows exactly who to key in on, and we never punish them for overplaying b/c we don't pass 3/4 of the time anyway.

14. Delfino Delivers

When Rip is on the floor with the bench he thinks he has to do it on his own. It is terrible. It can't be that he doesn't have confidence in them because he has seen what they can do. Watching him plow into the middle of the lane and flop around like a fish out of water while the rest of the team waits for the pass is killing me. He is not Kobe or Bron and the sooner he realizes he needs his teammates as much they need him; the sooner we can move on to our next victim.

It is not rocket science. Move the ball until you get an open, high percentage shot. Tay and Rip backing their man into the paint is NOT moving the ball!!!!

:nerd2:

15. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

ASB talked to Kander today:

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought Tay was doing a pretty good job with those isolations yesterday. We ran the play about 5 times straight at one point. The shots looked tough, but he was making them.

Also, Turkoglu was 1-7 in the 2nd quarter and only had 1 rebound with Herrmann guarding him.

Until garbage time, Herrmann was +1.

17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i agree, i don't mind tay posting up constantly - he either gets a high percentage shot or draws an extra defender and hits one of our guys for an open look

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So who did he go off on then? Tay?

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We need Billips back, period.

In the meantime:

They started to jam our offense up as far back as game 2. As usual, there does not seem to be an adjustment. We couldn't score at key times in game 3. They only have one big. There should be plenty of room on the floor to get open looks or drive.

Yes, we may as well turn Stuckey loose. But I have seen him blocked at least a few times in this series down low. At this stage of this career, he is not a star. He will have to learn quickly.

The defense has been atrocious since the second half of game 2. They are doing what they want. Howard is not that developed offensively. Certainly not enough to let them have open threes. To win without Billips, we will have to attack their offense with a defensive force. Sheed should get more time on Howard. Their guards need to be challenged, especially by the second unit. I mean scout this team. Jameer usually goes right. Hedo loves to go left. We will only prevail if we can step up and shut them down.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - DET @ ORL

See if you can tell. I'm guessing Tay, but what stands out to me is Rashard abusing Hayes... and everyone else.

One thing that I am noticing is that most of their 3-point attempts are not coming from us double teaming Howard or their guards driving and dishing. It seems to me that most of it is off of chaos (semi fast breaks, offensive rebounds, etc.) and just plain pick setting on the perimeter.