Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 3 Wed May 7 8PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2008.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You better keep wearing it from now on.

2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The Pistons win 95% of their games when AA plays at least 5 minutes in the first half and a total ... :sssh:

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat is open!!!
    * link removed *

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I really liked the fight in these guys.
    Looks like Stuck will /must emerge as star.
    But if they think they can win the points in the paint and beat Or while Or drains 3s BECAUSE our interior D is so good.....good nite sweet prince !!!

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

The biggest question right now is 'how long will CB be out?'

Sheed was -30 tonight (edit: in 28 minutes)...sigh

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Like I said...all this talk about Orlando being dead was going to be bad...

Then again, C-bill getting hurt didn't help. I'm eager to see how Stuckey does. Any word or ideas on how long Billups will be out?

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

While missing CB was no doubt huge, the Pistons still managed to get it down to a 3 point game to start the 4th before letting the game slip away (at a really, really fast rate).

Orlando shot very well and seemed to be able to penetrate at will. This game has no doubt given them a lot of confidence going into game 4.

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm Sheed's biggest fan when he's playing well but sometimes he has the mental wherewithal of a child. He is the biggest crybaby in the NBA. He clearly let some foul calls take him out of his game. His head was NEVER in this one. In the playoffs, that can't happen.

I thought Stuck played OK, but there was almost no contribution from the bench tonight. For all intents and purposes, Stuck was a starter tonight. Max was nonexistent.

Just a poor effort tonight.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How can you say that Zoo?
    Or. shot 56%. lights out.
    The 9 or 10 man rot. could of kept us in the game...maybe.

10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Got within 3, but couldn't get closer. Eh, figured them for a win tonight. In fact, They might tie up the series like Chicago last year and then we moved on.

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

A couple of positives to take away from tonight: Stuckey looked good replacing CB, he is the real deal, and will be the franchise pg someday; and Hermann, as spastic as he looks, can play some D. Hopefully we keep him, because he looks like a solid guy off the bench.

BTW, Evans looked worse than I remembered he looked as a Piston. What the heck is any coach, not just Flip, thinking by playing him?

12. ggazoo69

Yeah, Orlando did shoot well. I wasn't calling it a poor collective effort. Tay and Rip came to play. Thought Stuck was OK, but Sheed was lousy and Max was lousy.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Our guys had to know they weren't going to get the calls...and prepare for it.
    Hands off.

14. ggazoo69

I think Orlando was actually whistled for more fouls than Detroit tonight. It was like you said before, Orlando's shooting was the difference. They got what they wanted when they wanted it.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm glad i missed this game. 38 pts in the 4th?! Jesus Christ. Seriously Jesus Christ.

How bad is the Chauncey injury? ::fingers crossed::

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

<p>People have different opinions about our coach, Flip Saunders. If you think he can coach, good for you. Sorry, but not me.</p>

<p>We came out doing nothing right at all to start the game. This was before Billups got injured. Billups had the one layup before he went down with the hamstring pull, and that was the only bucket we had. Things did not get worse after he came out. They were already bad. Very bad. And they stayed bad.</p>

<p>What did Flip do as Orlando scored 34 on us in the 3rd quarter of the last game? Nothing. What did he do in this first quarter? Nothing. He refuses to sit anyone. This is bad. Probably no other coach in the league would do absolutely nothing as his team just stinks out there.</p>

<p>Reading people's comments about the game, and no, I have not read that many, would lead one to believe that nobody was paying much attention to the game.</p>

<p>Maxiell had a bad game? Really? One, he is guarding Howard. That is a load in and of itself. And not a bad job of it either. We got back into the game in the 3rd quarter, with Maxiell in there, playing some fine D. Back to the coaching. As things went bad in the 4th, Flip made no changes. Jason Maxiell did not come back into the game. Instead, Flip played his usual, a group that could not match up defensively with Orlando. We kept Theo and Sheed out there the entire quarter pretty much. No adjustment. Nothing.</p>

<p>Some people think Stuckey had a bad game? Again, look who led us right back into the game in that 3rd quarter. Stuckey did. Stuckey kept getting to the line. He put Nelson in foul trouble. He even hit some outside jumpers. But who says if a guy is hot he don't get a breather? Flip saw fit to play Stuckey the whole 2nd half without a break. Even though things were going real bad, Flip would not change a thing. Frozen in time. Absent.</p>

<p>From 18 down, we got back to within 3 points. But Flip made no substitutions to start the 4th quarter. Again, deciding to do nothing. He can't make a change in the 1st quarter. He can't sub when the guys are doing good in the 3rd quarter. What do both situations have in common? Flip froze.</p>

<p>11 guys played in this one. Hayes even played. And that was not pretty. Herrmann got to play quite a bit. Too slow. He can never make it to his spot for defensive rotation. He hurts us being out there. As far as I can tell, Flip would dress anyone in the stands before he would put Amir into the game. Amir, the guy who can get to his spot on defensive rotations. This is getting pretty rediculous, not having Amir out there.</p>

<p>Let me spell it out for Flip. Play to defend Orlando. If Orlando only has one big, only play one big. Note, since JMAX is quick enough to play small forwards quite well, no, he does not really count as a big. That would be your big slow guys like Sheed, (who thinks just a bit too much of himself if he really thinks he can guard Lewis)Dyess, and Theo. You only get to play one of these guys at a time. Anymore is plain stupid. Quit doing it.</p>

<p>So, you got Howard covered with the one big you are playing. Next, you got to play someone who can guard Lewis and Turk. Like Afflalo and Prince. Or Amir and Prince. Or Prince and Afflalo. Or JMAX and Prince. Or JMAX and Afflalo. Or JMAX and Amir.Hayes can't guard these guys. Quit playing him. Herrmann is too slow to be an NBA basketball player. Quit playing him. You got four choices, Amir, Afflalo, JMAX, and Prince. Have two of these guys out there. Its pretty simple. You got 4 guys very capable of defending their two small forwards, you know, the guys who are killing us in this series. That leaves you with 3 guys to put on Howard, four counting JMAX. Wow, with all that depth, it would take a moron to get it wrong So quit being quite so dense, get with the program, and match up.</p>

<p>Afflalo played fine defense when he got to play, and things started turning back in our favor while he was in the game. Why Flip then saw fit to forget about him after that point is a complete mystery.</p>

<p>Rip had a so so game. Started out cold. Got hot. Turned the ball over too much.</p>

<p>Tay eventually decided to start scoring.</p>

<p>Sheed settled for too many outside shots. Bad game all around for him. Of course, with his coach putting him in a horrid spot, trying to chase Lewis around, just how much energy could he have left for offense. Pathetic coaching, in my opinion.</p>

<p>Dyess did nothing. Again, same comments. Hey Flip, these guys are not small forwards. Hate to break the news to you.</p>

<p>Thats about it. A coach who does not coach. Why? We did not lose this game because Billups got injured. We lost because we have a coach who can't coach, or simply won't.</p>

<p>Get over your hatred of Dumars Flip. Just because he made you play the young guys this season, including Amir, he is still a very nice guy who does not deserve this kind of treatment from you. Play Amir Johnson. Play Afflalo a lot. Can the excuses. Slaughter Orlando these next two games.</p>

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

God, that post was depressing Lee. I was going to start in on WTF is up with AA's lack of min if we're getting killed by penetration, and the lack of Amir if we're getting killed by Lewis and penetration, but i figured i'd wait for the actual recaps since i didn't watch. Who knew i didn't even have to? :gun1:

Theo and Sheed almost the entire 4th? Kill me.

Also this is very likely true.

18. ggazoo69

This recurring judgment that Flip has some personal vendetta against Dumars is borderline psychotic.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the Pistons were 4-0 when I wore my Pistons Watch in these playoffs. I put it on on this morning hoping to offset any magical demons at Disneyworld and lord and behold Billups goes down:frusty:

I only saw the second qtr and the first five mins of the third at the Las Vegas airport and by the time my plane landed here in Cali it was over. Did not expect it to be a blow out as I thought the boys appeared to have gotten over the missing the captain despite there porous defense. Have not watched the tape or looked at the box score yet, so don't know who who did or didn't but 111 points means that they must have had a field day at the three point line or no one cared to play defense in the 4th qtr.

I don't care how good Stucco, Alf or Hunter/Dixon are, we are not going to win this series without Billups>:yell: Orlando is better than we suspected when the threes are falling...especially of we are leaving them open.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How can you say Maxiell had a good game? ZERO points and 2 rebounds tonight. Also, he got blocked twice by his man, who happened to get 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 blocks in total.

Maxiell, Sheed, Ratliff, and McDyess combined for 14 rebounds.

Billups- wasn't looking good, then he gets forced to do the splits
    Maxiell- terrible game
    Sheed- nightmare game. quick fould trouble. bad shooting. -30.
    Ratliff- 0 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block in 20 minutes? Sucky.
    Dyess- 0 points, 4 rebounds. Sucky.
    Hayes- 0 points, 4 rebounds. I think there is a pattern here.

Prince played well. Rip played OK. Stuckey and Afflalo were good.

You know what? Let's just forget about this one. It looked doomed from the start, we scrapped our way back, and then we ran out of gas and they got hot.

Hopefully Billups is able to be effective on Saturday. Avoid the mood swings.