Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 2, May 5th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 4, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't like seeing this stuff.

I mean, I don't like the Pistons seeing this stuff.

If the Pistons start believing it, they will start playing lazy as if Orlando is already toast, and Orlando is going to kick our butt in game 3 and possibly win game 4 too.

Detroit is only the better team when they match their opponent's efforts!

Beware Game 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Ramblings about the game

can i just say.....OMG, you'd think that 3 pointer at the end of the 3rd was a 20 point basket that took us from down 10 to up 10.....

Its really getting annoying, not one national media person has said anything rational in my mind yet.

Great game, Yes Billiups and Hamiliton are going to get a great share of our mins, but Flip is showing that both our rookies have his trust and he's not scared to play them....

I do beleive that Orlando was 7-7? in the 3rd Quarter, and basically played just about the best ball they could that quarter. so 4-21 the other 3 quarters.... as we say with our pistons live by the 3 die by the 3.

We didn't play our best game, Hamilton shoot a horrible percent really....

I really think we are playing a great balance of great experience with young energy.... I know folks want Amir to be playing... but we have 3 players getting ton of meaningful mins.... I know max played last year but not everygame.... (much to our grumpyness)

Hamilton 36:06 39:53 down almost 4 mins
    Billiups 34:36 40:36 down 6 mins
    Prince 37:42 41:36 down amost 4 mins
    wallace 32:47 35:47 down 3 mins

those are the starters mins this year compared to last year playoff mins.... that is a major reduction... 6 mins for billiups, think how much smarter and fresher he is in the 4 th now

This was also the first game we have won in this years playoffs down the stretch, and they looked cool calm and collected...

All in all I am a happy camper this morning.... save the media and there nuts of a way of looking at that 3 pointer at the end of quarter 3.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You got it right Max. A slightly different angle and CB could have come up with a concussion or at best back spasms. As it is I bet he stinks of papaya juice this morning. And that fall Prince took could also have been much worse. The entire airplane probably reeked last night.

Time to get really serious and get this thing over with. Let the other guys beat themselves up.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If the key to guarding Howard is to take his legs out, then it makes sense that Maxiell would have some success with his lower center of gravity. For a guy who is only 6'7"ish, slowing Howard down is pretty impressive.

As much as I'd like to see Amir get some time at the 4, I'm totally surprised that Flip is doing things as well as his is with Stuck/ Afflalo/ Herrmann/ Ratliff in his 10 man rotation. Flip made the comments in the press conference afterward that we have 2 rookies getting real minutes in the playoffs and he's not sure if there are any teams left that are even playing 1. Are there? If that's true, then he really has a lot of trust in our guys indeed. Maxiell isn't a rook, but it's not like he got a ton of minutes before this season. And now he is starting in the playoffs guarding "Superman".

I think we'll play well in Orlando. The question will be how much better will they play.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Julian Wright is getting some burn in NO.

And also Glen Davis. Kindof odd that the two other teams with great records are playing rooks as well.

6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Our point of view has been herethat pistons had a so-so game and magic nearly their best. Well, magic fans think exactly opposite: they have figured out how to beat pistons D and Magic has not played nearly as well as they did against of raptors. They are pretty confident that when magic plays as they should, pistons will be beaten.

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Flip gets an "A" so far for his coaching moves. He'll be tested in Florida though. The Magic will be formidable but I think Detroit can come away with a split.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what a great game last night. it was an eerie start though because they started the national anthem at 6:55 and there were seriously no more than about 3000 people in the stands. traffic is still very bad for 7 PM games, there's construction on walton, and i heard a lot of people saying they thought it was at 7:30. so the arena was kind of empty to start, and there were plenty of empty seats throughout the game.

the crowd was good but really got into it during the 3 minutes the refs were deciding what to do about the chauncey shot. an impromptu thunderstick 'da, da, da-da-da' chant got going throughout the entire building and everyone got very fired up.

as for the game itself, i thought everyone played great except for rip, and to some extent dice (although it is hard to argue with 2-2 shooting, 8 boards-4 offensive, and 2 assists in 21 minutes). dice just doesn't seem to fit well in this series. hayes got his first DNP of the year and i was glad. and hey, afflalo is a great defender but with the size and athleticism of turk and lewis, amir fits perfectly to defend them (as long as he doesn't get caught on a switch with howard). amir is just as quick as both of those guys, very athletic, and can easily guard them out to the 3 point line. neither of them are physical players which would work perfectly.

we were getting anything we wanted early, and missed about 4 easy shots that could've helped contribute to a 20-point lead and/or blowout. oops. we did get away from that, had some terrible iso's, lack of ball movement, and saw chauncey taking some atrocious shots, but he came up big in the end so i won't blame him for being aggressive.

our bigs continue to do a great job and ratliff is perfect for this series. max is just incredible - his importance cannot be overstated. afflalo was just awesome - they hadn't been doubling howard the whole game, so on an early possession he pokes his hand in and gets a steal from it. he also helped cause a couple other turnovers. stuckey also looks impressive, despite having a little trouble finishing at the rim again - but he is making veteran plays, veteran passes, and he played much better defense on nelson this game. also, if you watch the last fast break of the game where sheed got the one-handed dunk, stuckey ran and cut in front of the orlando player (legally) so he couldn't run down and catch up to sheed. it's a little thing that absolutely no one else noticed but it was important to the play and shows he's got excellent basketball IQ.

tay continues to be superb - 8 of 13 shooting and 2 of those he had to provide bailouts at the last second before the shot clock ran out. he played 44 minutes, so what? he's been rested all season and can handle it now. if we finish off orlando early he'll have plenty of time to rest before the ECF.

all 4 of orlando's bench players were far in the minus while 3 of our 5 were heavily in the plus - big difference.

other sidenotes - the palace has these weird barstool chairs in the concourse with big holes in the middle...maybe so you don't have to get up to go to the bathroom? lol. i accidentally spilled a little b-dub's wing sause on my maxiell jersey. our ticket guy bought us a beer. some dude spilled his entire big boy milkshake on the girl sitting in front of him...all over her hair, jacket, pants, shirt, everything, but she laughed about it thankfully and no harm done. automotion was very conservative. the drumline was back. they gave me 12 wings instead of 10 which was sweet. and the pistons won. great night all around.

9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The problem to playing Amir is his propensity to get called for the fouls. And Lewis and Turkey are both good free throw shooters, so it would be to their advantage. Amir needs to play more next season so that refs can actually learn who he is and that he shouldn't be called for a foul on every possession.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd actually give Flip a solid B (his GPA is WAY up from last series though).

He's doing well (for Flip) but there is still room for improvement.

For example:
    - Dyess should NEVER be checking Rashard Lewis like he was last night. Amir (even Walt) would have been a good call in that situation.

- Flip's plays out of time-outs are still AWFUL! Last night he ran the one where they toss the ball around for ten-seconds to get Chauncey an off-balanced 17 footer.

- Why not call a TO in the midst of that barrage of 3-pointers in the 3rd?

I'm proud of Flip for his improvement over the last few games but IMO our standards should still be a little too high to go giving Saunders an 'A'.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hog-caps are my favorite part of the day.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Actually, now that I think about it, I think he did specifically say that there are no other rookies in the backcourt in the Playoffs.

Definitely tougher to play guard in the playoffs as a rook because of the poise factor needed to not make a fool of yourself.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just realized that. I was going by play-by-play and assumed the O rebound was Max on him.

---------

The defense was spectacular in the 2nd half. I mean old Piston-esque. That irriates me too. I hate how the rotation tightens up and all of a sudden most of the starters play a majority of both quarters. He needs to learn to sub the bench in esp during the 3rd quarter. It's nonsensical to leave them in, and then the 4th comes and he puts himself in an awkward position b/c he's scared of using specific ppl during that time

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There are other rookies playing in the PO's, specifically Julian Wright who has looked fantastic and Amir-esque at times.

Flip shouldn't be paying attention to the label "rookie" or what other teams are doing. Play your best avaliable talent (and play them in the 2nd half!)

edited to add;

As for Flip's coaching, i'll agree with bball don't lie, a B; make that a B-. Tay's min need to come down. AA needs to be playing back-up SF, and get time in the 2nd half (or Hermann needs a chance to see what he can do at SF). It wouldn't kill him to throw Amir in for a few minutes (could have done it when we had that lead in the 2nd quarter), and see what happens.

Also our late game situations/plays/offense still blows. We need better play-calling. And better time-management in the 2nd half rotations would help.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Actually, I think he said that there are no other rookie tandums playing in the backcourt who are still in the playoffs and have one of them with Final Four experience. Energy, hit shots, mumble, mumble... then I turned the channel.

16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This belongs in the Flip Quotes section.
    :hoops:

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have read some good writeups by other posters here. Thanks. Always fun to read your observations on the game. In all, most things were covered between what is posted on the two sites I read. Here is what I saw.

I guess I'll start with the 3 point shot made with time running out. Like at least one poster who commented, and many other people I am sure, I was counting down the shotclock in my head and knew Stuckey had goofed by making the extra pass. We lucked out there. But who knows who would have won the game if the shot had not counted. A whole quarter of basketball was left to play. If this had occurred right toward the very end of the game, then it would be a big deal. But it did not, and is not.

For us who love to see the young players play, can't be unhappy about this game. JMAX started again, and did pretty well. He hit 5 of 5 at one point. (Did he ever take another shot? I know he did get to the line.) These were outside shots mostly. Again, we got a lead. Maxiell sat. Lead shrank. Maxiell in, lead grew. Etc. There again was an exception, as we did poorly in the 3rd quarter with JMAX in the game. Or maybe we did not do that bad, as Orlando hitting 7 straight threes is showing some serious talent, open shots or not. If they miss a couple, we still stay ahead in that quarter. Here is my point, we are taking a serious chance of losing a game if we continue to not match up with them. Playing Amir Johnson some of Dyess's minutes and some of Theo's minutes would be a great help to us.

Tay played pretty near the whole game. Not enough rest. He is our best perimeter player, and look what happened to our perimeter D in the 3rd quarter. It went non-existent. The 4 minutes of rest he did get was with Rip playing small forward with Stuck and CB in the backcourt. Herrmann did play a minute or so, but at power forward. Tay scored 17, mostly going inside though he canned a few jumpers too. (And a three.) One fairly spectacular block too. Oh, and 5 assists and 10 rebounds.

Afflalo played one continuos nine minute shift in the 2nd quarter. A stretch where Orlando made either zero or 1 basket. Stuckey was playing along side him. I see some people fret about his D, but it certainly did not seem bad in that 2nd quarter. For much of the quarter, Tay was the only star amongst our four stars out there. Sheed, Rip, and Billups were taking a break.

Yeah, Rip was stinking it up pretty bad most of the night. Just off on his shot, his balance, everything. And did I mention the horrible perimeter D being played in that 3rd quarter? But he hit a key triple in the 4th. At least something for the cause.

Speaking of triples, yes, why did Sheed shoot that one late. I guess it takes a lot of confidence in the team to take a triple when we only needed a 2 at the moment. Well, the team came thru.

Billups was 10 for 10 from the line and nailed a couple of threes on his way to 28 points. But he did not overmatch Nelson all that badly this time as Jameer got loose for a bunch of threes in the 2nd half.

Our old friend Evans had a good scoring game against his former team.
    Our 4 man rotation on Howard held well for the first half, but Howard broke loose big time in the 2nd half and ended up with quite a statistical game, and played some very solid D.

Foul trouble did hurt us some in this game. Just one more reason to add Amir to the rotation.

Well, I have quite the headache, so I will stop for now. Again, thanks for the game reports and observations, keep them rolling.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

Edited to add: I wrote this over at the other site after the game. I seem to have forgotten to post it here as I usually do. Must have been that headache.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for your observations Lee and hopefully its not your blood pressure that's causing the headaches. But don't worry, you took your daughter to game 1, so this series is in the bag. :)

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Its really getting annoying, not one national media person has said anything rational in my mind yet." Qoute Round
    -
    Steve Smith took the human error is natural stance. Which is dumb when we have electronics to fix it.