Pistons/Magic 2nd round game 1, May 3 7:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 1, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have made this post this focal point of my existence. It has become my religion, my sustenance, and my origin.

So I agree with you. On a level no one else can outdo. :)
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...dang Mrcina, he's really got me beat there...

ummm, that + infiniti???
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

doh, i can't attend this one...already made other plans and didn't think there'd be a game. i'll have to watch it the next day...hopefully it'll be a win.
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Maybe next time.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Van Gundy said that he was thinking about guarding Wallace with a smaller player out on the perimeter since they only have one big.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The play-by-play guys during the game 6 against Philly were raving about pistons exploring the match-ups and taking full advantage of them. Now it's up to Flip to create more with roster moves.
  7. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

Uh, oh...looks like somebody finally noticed one of my posts!
    :dancingparty:
  8. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for inlighting me D4E. I had the wrong impression probably because i saw him his FT in some games i saw.
  9. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

I guess the main problem the team had when the series began is that they were out of pace. Those errors that they made were absolutely because of that.

I mean, "Getting out of pace" means to not play competitive basketball for a certain period of time. And that happened to our starters. They made turnovers because they were playing slow. They were playing in a practice rhythm, which is the way they've got used to play since they were resting.

I know you can say: "but they're pr0s, d00d! lol". It still counts for everyone. Its hard to stay in rhythm, but is even harder to gain it back, and its EVEN HARDER to get it back if you're getting old. They were just playing between 12-20 minutes a game. Thats why there is no surprise that Hamilton and Prince (more the latter) were the ones really playing, since they are the younger ones.

I know you are going to say: "Yeah, we know that". But I just wanted to say it since I've been waiting more than a week for posting >.<.

Syg.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is what I would do if I were them. If Sheed goes into the post, Howard can affect him from the weak side.

There is no way that DH will be chasing Sheed around the 3-point line.

The challenge for Sheed will be to punish their strategy by relentlessly attacking the post. It will take some effort.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

which means Sheed should kill in the post. I agree with mostly everything said.

Amir on Lewis
    AA's ability to stop penetration
    Hermann getting a look

Let's see if Dolphin learns how to adjust w/o someone breaking their nose.

And it can't be 4 games in, or this series will be out of reach.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think you all may be underestimating Rashard Lewis. He is overpaid, but he isn't under talented. I think Rashard would eat Amir alive during extended minutes.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A roster for this series: Herrmann, Hunter, and Hayes stay in street clothes.

Hunter is too slow to guard Nelson, and too slow and too short to guard Dooling.

Herrmann is simply too slow in foot speed.

Hayes is not much better than Herrmann in foot speed, and has no defensive footwork.

This leaves us with:

Billups, Stuckey, and Dixon as point guards.

Rip and Afflalo as shooting guards.

Tay and Amir as small forwards.

JMAX and Amir as power forwards.

Sheed, Theo, Dyess and Samb as centers.

For strategy, its pretty simple. Orlando plays a center, and then two weak defensive small forwards up front. Every play pretty much should be to the basket, targeting to get Howard in foul trouble. And once Howard is out of the way, keep attacking inside relentlessly.

On defense, match up.

This means do not ever play any of Sheed, Dyess, and Theo at the same time. Again, Orlando does not use a power forward, so we can't have a power forward in the game who can't chase small forwards around.

Our guards overmatch theirs as long as we don't play Dixon or Hunter.

Dixon can be used for offense / defense substitutions at end of quarters. Sneak him in there to can a shot, and take him right back out of the game. If Dixon plays at all beyond that, it should be for an early substitution for Billups so Dixon is in while he can guard Nelson.

Sub pattern:

Starters play the first 8 minutes of the game. Thats Billups, Rip, Prince, JMAX, Sheed.

Amir spells Jason Maxiell for the last 4 minutes of the first and then the first 4 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Then Amir stays in and plays 6 minutes as the small forward while Tay rests. Maxiell is back in for the last 8 minutes of the half. Tay comes in for the last 2 minutes of the first half.

Afflalo and Stuckey start the 2nd quarter and play 8 minutes. Rip and Billups come back in for the last 4 minutes of the half.

Sheed sits after the first 8 minutes and Theo plays center for the rest of the first quarter. Dyess comes in to start the 2nd quarter, and Sheed plays the last 6 minutes of the quarter.

In the 2nd half, you play basically the same rotation, changing things just a bit if needed of course. But with everyone getting a decent rest in the first half, a lot of flexibility is left for the 2nd half.

Just to put this altogether

Billups, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed. minutes 0-8.

Billups, Rip, Tay, Amir, Theo. minutes 9-12.

Stuckey, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, Dyess. minutes 13-16.

Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX, Dyess. minutes 17-18.

Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX, Sheed. minutes 19-20.

Billups, Rip, Amir, JMAX, Sheed. minutes 21-22.

Billups, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed. minutes 23-24.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Lee, you forgot to give minutes to Samb down here at the bottom. Oh, that's OK, I don't see Samb suiting up for this series.
  15. ggazoo69

From ESPN analyst Jon Barry. Pretty good assessment of the peaks and valleys of one Rasheed Wallace.

Who needs to have a big series against Orlando for the Pistons to win? I guess I would say Rasheed. I think he’s the most important player for this team. I think you’ll probably see him playing Dwight Howard. When he plays on both ends of the floor and gets in the low post, and knocks down threes, and is focused, he’s a top five power forward in the game. But there’s other nights when he doesn’t play focused, he losses his mind and is very ineffective. It comes down to me that he’s the guy that makes Detroit a championship caliber team or a team that is going to get bounced.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Hunter is too slow to guard Nelson, and too slow and too short to guard Dooling." Qoute Lee
    -
    Wait a minute Lenz is a strong 6'2''. Dooling is a short 6'.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am confused. Doesn't the entire first round have to be done with before the second round can start? (Boston still has game 7 tomorrow)
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Yeah...
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So much to worry about...

Will Evans get into Rip's head and take him out of his game by shoving him around a bit here and there? If Evans manages five or more boards it will be a long series.

Will the entire front line foul out guarding Howard, moving Affalo to the center position where he pulls a Magic Johnson and never looks back?

Will anybody bother to guard Turk who could hit at least ten threes per game otherwise?

To coin a phrase, no rebounds, no ECF.
  20. ggazoo69

Orlando's offense: Shoot a three or hit Howard inside for an easy bunny.

If Orlando shots a bunch of three's, that means they'll miss around 60 percent of them so we do need to corral some of these long rebounds, as dba says.