Pistons @ Heat Nov 30th

Discussion in 'November 2006' started by roscoe36, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Pistons started off horribly in the first quarter, but some great bench play in the 2nd quarter got them right back in it. The starters pushed out to an 8 point lead with only about 4 minutes left, but then they choked repeatedly down the stretch and gave Wade a chance to win it on the last possession. Fortunately, he was way off from the floor tonight, and he missed two jumpers in the last minute that would have given Miami the lead.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good win. Strange ending.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It was ugly, but we won and I will take every win we can get.

Our frontcourt played awesome tonight, especially the bench.

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The second quarter boost from the bench was a great part of the win, and the Pistons took good advantage of mismatches in the second half to build a lead. The crappy execution in the last couple of minutes was worrisome, and uncharacteristic of the solid 4th quarter play they've had during most of this winning streak. But, yeah, a win in Miami is always nice to get.

Now the Pistons just need to prevent the road warrior Knicks (5-5 away from home, as opposed to 1-6 at the Garden) from stealing one at the Palace tomorrow night, and the winning streak will be at 8.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

It's no wonder you're Mensa :nerd2: :MusicBigGrin: :pound:

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The Pistons came out looking a little out of sync. Nazr didn't look so good. Billups looked pretty bad. They did keep going to Tay and he curled into the lane with a soft floater for the most part. Looked like they had better spacing for passes out of the post.

The Heat was able to get out in the open court early. When the 2nd unit came in they really helped out the team. Flip Murray made some good plays and i think help some on the boards on both ends. Dale davis brought a good inside presence and rebounded well. I think Hunter kinda cancelled himself out with a combination of nice D and stupid decisions. Delfino was OK in his time. Dyess IMO was solid. I liked Davis and McDyess tightening up the boards. It seems that those to end up in better positions to grab offensive boards.

Flip S. mentioned making it hard on Dwade and it looked like they managed to do that but Miami (ZO) cleaned up WAY too often on the offensive glass. Nazr came to life in the second half. Some one needs to work on his skills but I like his intensity. Rip became the go to guy and there was a stretch where anyone who got Kapono attacked and scored. Miami came back but the Pistons started hitting the 3 ball.

Sometimes I wonder why the starting 5's frontline is so porous but I kinda believe that is cuz chauncey gets beat so much. When he gets beat by Jason "I just had rehab" Williams, what can you do. Chauncey also got blocked taking the 'big shot.'

The pistons score well when there is a lot of movement but a lot of times once the set is run, they clear out and let whoever has the ball (rip or tay) try to create. Neither are good crunch time iso guys.
    We got it done from downtown but I liked how we tried to work inside out. and if we could inject some lateral quickness into CB, we'd dominate.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Was I right or was I right?

Rip's shot with 2:00 to go was very clutch. It stopped a mini-run by the Heat and it was not an easy look. I'm giving my imaginary game ball to Rip.

I just don't trust the refs around D Wade. Never will.

Did anyone think that Flippin Murray played well? He really had some key plays in the game. I no he gets no love around here, so I'll give him a plug.

These ugly 80-80 games are my favorites.

8. roscoe36

You were ....

Flip played well tonight. He's pretty fearless going to the hole and his crossover move reminds me a little of Vinnie Johnson (without the spinning).

Ditto. It's great to watch with your heart in your mouth through the entire 4th quarter.

9. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Actually one of my favorite playoff series of all-time for the Pistons was the series with the PACERS in 2004. What a great matchup of defensive teams. THAT WAS SOME SERIOUS BASKETBALL, none of this pansy act of Dwayne Wade or whatever other PRIMA DONNA we have to play in the playoffs.

That INDY series was REAL BASKETBALL and all points that were earned, were paid for with SWEAT, BLOOD AND TEARS.

That's when you had to "earn" your points and wins and not have the commish make a call to "his henchmen" and get your team a FREE TITLE (aka last year's FLUKE team).

Ok, that's it for my rant, I loved that series, I miss that style of basketball, but from everything that Stern would have you believe, I'm a dying breed of fan.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

On TNT, EJ just pointed out that the Pistons are 9-0 when they lead going into the 4th quarter. They dodged a couple of bullets tonight, but you gotta like how they've been closing out games.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This team is a handfull for us even without Shaq. A win is a win.

Chauncey did not have a good game but he did set the Heat up for his threes in the 4th. The spacing was there to pop. Why he went out on Posey at the end--not a smart move. He also needs to get better results from his drives.

Nazi and Dyss game us some real minutes. We are starting to find Nazi and when he gets fouled, it is not a problem as with Ben. Dyss is hitting that jumper. When he goes inside, his percentage goes way down. He is just not an offensive post player but the jumper was sweet.

Good to see Rip back on his mid-range game. When our guys play to our strengths--we are a tough team.

We have guys who can score and command attention but Tay and Sheed in particular need to have movement around them. They are not particularly effective as an isolated one on one. We need them in the flow of the offense.

Our slow starts occur because we still do not have an offensive concept with our main guys. With guys like Tay and Rip and Sheed, no reason for a slow start time and again.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nazr is surprisingly crafty with his reverses under the basket. I guess he has to be, or he would get packed all day long down there.

How sweet was it watching Fatoine do nothing but get embarrassed repeatedly?

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wade looked like he was on a three day bender... that boy needs some rest or they'll burn him out by his 26 birthday.
    Not a very impressive W.. too much standing around...
    I do enjoy listening to TNT waffle though.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No Jason Maxiell in the game. No Blalock. No Amir Johnson. No closer to getting anywhere in the playoffs. Can anyone imagine our team getting past a team with Shaq in the middle. Ain't happening. Sure 7 games in a row seems nice, but oh how so hollow a feeling at the end of the season when we get beat in the playoffs. This win streak will be just as meaningless as the 64 wins last season.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

A win is a win, but I going into the game I wouldn't think the Pistons would win if Sheed and Chauncey played like they did. Anything that will make Miami's record worse I'll take. It's so pathetic that even though they are 6-9 they are right in the thick of things in the East.

16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seemed like Dice blocked his shot three times in a row.

When the Pistons played Houston JVG said after the game that Flip had the Pistons playing four different defenses (and lamented that he couldn't get his guys to play one). Here's an unpopular POV - Flip has this team playing some pretty decent defense. That seamless switch into a 1-2-2 zone on the last play completely befuddled Wade and took away any notion that he could drive and get bailed out. They've gotten much better over the past week or two at switching defenses and having everyone playing the same thing. They've held opponents on average to 94 points during the winning streak and that may be as good as it gets with the standards of today's NBA (91 without the Wizards game).

17. roscoe36

Unfortunately I saw a lot of poor rotations in man, zone and particularly when defending the pick/screen and roll.

If they tighten up those rotations, I think the Pistons defense can be very formidable. Guiltiest parties include

Billups - Too eager to help, too slow to recover.
    Nazr - At times, total confusion. He gets lost easily.
    Rip - It doesn't look like he reads scouting reports, and his aggressiveness exposes his teammates at times. He's a wannabee pitbull though. You gotta like that.

Those are just my perceptions based on the last few games.

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Give it up to Flip folks. To ignore this would be unjust. Great observation DBA. We finally have some clear examples of Flip's coaching having a direct positive effect on games as it pertains to "D". I'm not particularly fond of the zone but I will tell you that after watching a ton of games on NBA League pass this season, it is a growing phenomenon. I don't think I've seen one team that doesn't have at least some variation of it in their defensive playbook.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, they're not all together yet. And they are still figuring out how to play without Ben. I just like the chances of a diversified defense better given the way the game is played today than a constant stream of man-to-man-come-on-and-beat-me-if-you-can.

Gotta love Rip just sticking his nose into people.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this was a quality win on the road. perhaps no one else will agree, or you'll think i'm crazy, but i think flip outcoached riley for this game. yes, there was no shaq, but the reason i say he did a better job coaching was that riley adjusted to flip's gameplan, not the other way around. when we went small ball, riley took zo out, even though he was doing a decent job against us. plus we kept wade to shooting jumpers.

the foul sheed had on wade was a slight grab, and wade tried to milk that for all it was worth. he didn't even have to fall, and it only looked bad because of how hard the ball slammed on the ground. given what was said on the pistons blog about sheed in practice imitating wade, it was pretty funny.